• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

In my mind I’ve seen 30 years of Marvel trying to create solo books for Venom that never came anywhere near the success level of Cates run. So, in my mind I’m not betting on Venom long term with Cates leaving the book. Not to mention we’re in the cycle leading up to a Venom 2 movie. There’s really all the red flags that this is a bad time to be buying in on Venom “keys” especially ones that came out in the last 5 years. If you got the books at cover great, you can afford to gamble if you believe in it but buying at the inflated prices of today seems like bad advice.

Venom didn’t rise in popularity because of good writing on Cates part. Speculation and the pandemic were the causes. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Ogie Porterhouse said:

cool i think maybe the point i was trying to make but maybe didn't express so well for some people is that today's collector might be motivated by different things than some of us that have been in the hobby a while. not talking about a specific book but as someone who did read books in that era i actually very much liked the kieron gillen loki-as-a-hot-chick run and the loki-as-a-kid run with his girlfriend and thor's  puppy or whatever. not even sure what you're attacking besides a straw-man there but hey thanks for letting me know the forum i'm in and how many posts i have.

:facepalm:

8 hours ago, littledoom said:

Thor Annual 18 is just about on it's way to being another high printed 90s polybaged $100 comic. Should have bought some copies off ebay last week when they could be bought for $5-10 bucks :}

Oh boy, buyers are about to get burned on that one....

Edited by Second Blight

1 hour ago, Second Blight said:
9 hours ago, littledoom said:

Thor Annual 18 is just about on it's way to being another high printed 90s polybaged $100 comic. Should have bought some copies off ebay last week when they could be bought for $5-10 bucks :}

Oh boy, buyers are about to get burned on that one....

Depends. If they were buying as a 1st app of a character then yes, if they were buying for an appearance of a character
that will be several different ones then maybe not so bad.

7 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Venom didn’t rise in popularity because of good writing on Cates part. Speculation and the pandemic were the causes. 

Eh, it’s a combination. That series was taking off well before Covid-19. Pandemic and even more speculators of the past year boosted it but it was already pretty popular, namely because of the writing.

23 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

Eh, it’s a combination. That series was taking off well before Covid-19. Pandemic and even more speculators of the past year boosted it but it was already pretty popular, namely because of the writing.

I’ve read it and it’s trash. 

10 minutes ago, Jemin said:

Shouldn't it be Dark Reign Young Avengers #1 that's starting to take off after episode 2?

It appears that I had missed a detail when watching that was crucial. Yep, looks like at this point in time, Dark Reign Young Avengers 1 makes sense.  Apparently though, both books and their related appearances are taking off. 

Edited by Timeless icons

3 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

That's a possibility too and after just looking it up, it may be the more likely scenario. Apparently though, both books and their related appearances are taking off. 

Figures. I passed on the Dark Reign books the other day. 

Spoiler

It makes sense that it would be this character with Disney + series basically introducing all the Young Avengers.  They would need a villain if that is going too be her role.

Edited by Jemin

5 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

I didn’t say I thought it was good… others certainly did.

Yes that Venom run was very popular pre-pandemic, for one reason.  The writing. I don't care for it but many many do.  

1 hour ago, cd4ever said:

Yes that Venom run was very popular pre-pandemic, for one reason.  The writing. I don't care for it but many many do.  

I've read the majority up to the last HC, vol.2 I believe.  I will get the vol. 3 HC as well just to see what is up, but yea, I'm not all that impressed with it either.  TBH, I don't really like that much superhero content any more, period.  The same old cliche stuff always happens IMHO.  I have all the singles for the most part, and some in pretty high numbers.  It doesn't matter if I like it, only that others like it.  Moving forward the next run might make some of the books pop again, or the exact opposite and go in an entirely different direction, who knows.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:22 PM, wiparker824 said:

Closer to 1600 on average I suppose. Covrprice shows 3 sales of a 9.8 in March of 2020... 1500, 1650 and 1710. 

March 2020? when we thought the world was going to end and no stimulus in sight? i am surprised they were that high. i was buying gallons of bottled water, dried beans, and 20 pound bags of rice then.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

March 2020? when we thought the world was going to end and no stimulus in sight? i am surprised they were that high. i was buying gallons of bottled water, dried beans, and 20 pound bags of rice then.

“Start of pandemic you could get a 9.8 for $1500, now it’s testing 4k.”

That was my original comment you responded to, I thought it was clear when I said start of the pandemic…