• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 2:37 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I have a similar story with my 635 - lucked into a 130 comic Batman lot on eBay for $176, had a lot of run-filler drek, but it also had 404-407, the entire Hush run (608 was a little beat up, but a newsstand, 609 is a 9.8 candidate) and 635 (also a 9.8 candidate), plus a bunch of minor keys. I traded a bunch of the run filler stuff I either had or didn't care about to an LCS for store credit and just kept the keys and minor keys (475: first Renee Montoya, stuff like that).

:applause:

On 8/19/2021 at 3:04 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

635 was the biggest - the Hush run was a nice piece of it too, that lot usually goes for at least $100, and I've seen it as high as $150 or more.

Here's a link to what I shared in the Collection thread. Zooming in on the 635 there looks like a small tic on the lower spine, but on a good day with a good press it might still hit a 9.8:

Oh wow from this year also. I thought this was going to be from 2017 or 18 not recently. Earlier this year for $25 I got a few Year Ones, 408-10, Ten Nights in a lot… the thing about Batman comics is that they are so highly printed. There’s more than enough supply to meet any level of demand. So they can sell cheap especially at auction. Now if Batman was an MCU character. That lot you bought mighta been $550+

On 8/19/2021 at 5:25 PM, littledoom said:

Oh wow from this year also. I thought this was going to be from 2017 or 18 not recently. Earlier this year for $25 I got a few Year Ones, 408-10, Ten Nights in a lot… the thing about Batman comics is that they are so highly printed. There’s more than enough supply to meet any level of demand. So they can sell cheap especially at auction. Now if Batman was an MCU character. That lot you bought mighta been $550+

$25 a nice price for those too though! Yeah, it’s the good and bad of being a DC collector - you can buy them cheap but they stay cheap. 😂 I think about some of the silver Bat keys I have - on one hand I was happy to afford them, but on the other hand they’re just so ridiculously low compared to Marvel first appearances, and any increases are so slow.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:32 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

$25 a nice price for those too though! Yeah, it’s the good and bad of being a DC collector - you can buy them cheap but they stay cheap. 😂 I think about some of the silver Bat keys I have - on one hand I was happy to afford them, but on the other hand they’re just so ridiculously low compared to Marvel first appearances, and any increases are so slow.

Oh I forgot that lot also included a couple Death in the Family issues 

On 8/19/2021 at 5:38 PM, littledoom said:

Oh I forgot that lot also included a couple Death in the Family issues 

That’s actually one of my favorite stories (I was a kid reading those and I wanted to call the number so bad but my parents said no), and funny enough I only own 2 of the 4 issues right now…

Edited by Jesse-Lee

Back when Jim Hanley's Universe in Manhattan was reorganizing their store, and clearing out their back issues (I suppose because eBay meant using that retail space for back issues was no longer financially prudent), they had a big progressive sale where everything was 10% off the first day, 20% off the second day, etc, until everything was 90% off the sticker price. During this sale I picked up Batman 635 for less than cover price (which surprised me, because I wouldn't have expected it to still be there a few days into the sale, and I missed it when it was new, because it was hot out of the gate). It's at CGC now.

On 8/21/2021 at 8:14 PM, fastballspecial said:

Go to go to my first convention in well over a year yesterday. Helped setup as well it was fun. 
Bought a ton of books from dealers from 4 different states which was interesting. 

So I started early and was going dealer to dealer had a gruffy dealer stopped me to tell me he
wasn't ready he was still repricing some stuff from some announcements Friday and I needed to wait. 

Fair enough I get that, but I had already picked out a couple of books which I politely put back and
moved past and went on to next dealer. Next dealer was setting up same way next to him with more 
stuff then he had. That dealer stopped me while I was looking thru his books and made
a joke about being not being ready. And we both laughed. lol

That first dealer went to the last of my list that day and I spent the least amount there. The 2nd dealer
I bought more from because he made me laugh about what he just saw. I will be going directly to him
tomorrow to buy more 1st thing. 

This should be common sense but we aware how you approach your customers it can dramatically
affect your sales. 

Other then that earlier incident it was a lot of fun. From what I saw sales were brisk all day. I picked up 
around 300 books and plan to go back for more tomorrow. Most buyers were looking for all type of stuff.

Marvel zombies, Ironheart, requests for Invincible, 1st Nightwing, Batman 635s 655s I heard a few times. 
ASM/Carnage issues were asked for alot, but I was surprised that I didn't see one copy of ASM 300 anywhere
just about every convention I go I see 20 of them. But this was a small show of like 8 dealers. I did not see
any slabs sell, but there was a couple of dealers that was basically all the had which I thought was a poor 
decision. The dealers I saw do the best had all 3. Price books, $1 books and slabs. Some did well with video
games as well which I enjoyed because I like them too. 

Also never miss a chance to make fun of a friend that gets to the dealers after you. The dealers don't know what
to make of it as you insult a guy that comes to the dealer behind you. I hurled more DC insults today for fun
in years as my buddy is a DC fan. We went back and forth for 30 minutes as I we looked thru books. 

Sounds like  you had really good time despite not that many folks selling. 

On 8/12/2021 at 12:10 AM, PeterPark said:

If only they had some way to incorporate the multiverse into the MCU so these characters could interact with the mainstream...hm

The way I see it, everything is on the table and many things won't happen.

https://thedirect.com/article/doctor-strange-2-hayley-atwell-captain-carter

Batman 635 has heated up because Red Hood is in Season 3 of Titans. Was announced a while ago.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:59 AM, ygogolak said:

https://thedirect.com/article/doctor-strange-2-hayley-atwell-captain-carter

Batman 635 has heated up because Red Hood is in Season 3 of Titans. Was announced a while ago.

For my money, the Red Hood first appeared in Detective 168. I wished they had just come up with a new character instead of confusing a classic origin. Rehashing is so prevalent in comics but so unsatisfying.

Because of this, it also seems you can count the number of new leading characters on one or 2 hands from the last 20-30 years. Obviously there are tons of new characters; my only point is, if you take the most relevant ones, and filter out new people taking on some kind of mantle of an old character, or old characters changing their persona, there is not a whole lot left from, say, either Marvel or DC. 

IMHO, the introduction of a multiverse, at the end of the day, is a huge copout, despite being fun and interesting. Any dilemma can be fixed with ease...multiverse!

That said, I wish I had managed to pick up a copy of this book earlier. Every time I see one, the asking is much more than the book is worth for me to own, but I wish I didn't miss the boat on it.

Edited by PeterPark