• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 4:27 PM, fastballspecial said:

To be fair most of the classic X-Men covers Hughes did are not his best work but they are hard to due low print runs.

??? What do you consider to be a "low" print run? X-Men Classic may have been relatively low for an X-Title in 1992, but other than that...

On 4/24/2022 at 8:00 PM, Lazyboy said:

To be fair most of the classic X-Men covers Hughes did are not his best work but they are hard to due low print runs.

??? What do you consider to be a "low" print run? X-Men Classic may have been relatively low for an X-Title in 1992, but other than that...

Do you ever get out and look for books anymore? They were at the bottom of Marvel titles being produced. There numbers were nothing for years. 

The later issues at least last 20 I never see. Newsstands even less and they are usually roached.

image.thumb.png.a91ea4e4f00faf18f0978a8c67883c69.png

Edited by fastballspecial

For a long time I couldn’t move them especially when Hughes was as red hot

i gave up and moved them to the $1 boxes about a year ago, I’m sure they are long gone 

On 4/24/2022 at 9:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

i gave up and moved them to the $1 boxes about a year ago, I’m sure they are long gone 

Yes they are not his usually quality except for a few. 

Edited by fastballspecial

I know this book is extremely rare, but I also didn't think general demand for it was high enough to make a meaningful FMV. But, hey, look at me being surprised. EverQuest Online Adventures: The Search for Darkpaw. eBay auction hammer price? $1690, and, no, not to me!

Three bidders over $1k, two bidders over $1500, so this wasn't just one maniac, either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265649699667

Edited by Qalyar

On 4/24/2022 at 9:28 PM, fastballspecial said:

Do you ever get out and look for books anymore? They were at the bottom of Marvel titles being produced. There numbers were nothing for years. 

"Nothing" being only (:eyeroll:) around 100k sold in the title's last few years. Spot 100 on an early-90s chart is very different than spot 100 on a chart today.

I don't look for Classic X-Men/X-Men Classic, since I have all the issues I want (and more), though I do frequently notice them clogging up the dollar boxes.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

As a big lot they sell well together. But Classic X-Men is copper age tho ;)

Edited by littledoom

On 2/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Off the top of my head, if you're talking 9.8 sales, Batman Adventures 12 is selling recently around the same price as UF4: ~$3,500.

Edited to add - I think Invincible 1 9.8s are even higher, I didn't check though.

Newsstand UF4 is closer to $10k.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

For years, when I was hardcore collecting AH, I'd buy every X-Men Classic cover that I could find for a buck. I had several full sets. ( I also bought the Mignola covers). I always liked the covers, but I also didn't have much luck moving them, when I sold my collection off. Even really nice ones would scarcely sell for more than $3-$5. I was also picking up McFarlane Marvel Tales at the time, and they were harder to come by. Not impossible, but definitely less common. I'd say I had maybe three complete sets, total. As with most things, I should have held onto them longer. Oh well.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Never, ever move a HG book to a $1 box. EVER! :takeit:

On 4/24/2022 at 11:45 PM, Lazyboy said:

"Nothing" being only (:eyeroll:) around 100k sold in the title's last few years. Spot 100 on an early-90s chart is very different than spot 100 on a chart today.

I don't look for Classic X-Men/X-Men Classic, since I have all the issues I want (and more), though I do frequently notice them clogging up the dollar boxes.

Nobody is arguing circulation wasn't higher at the beginning of the title run.  I am well aware of that run.
I tell you this all the time in fact numerous times now with different books. The circulation numbers were
vastly smaller at the end of the run. 

image.thumb.png.cdeae8cdae438195899df93584ee2419.png

On 4/25/2022 at 5:13 PM, fastballspecial said:

Nobody is arguing circulation wasn't higher at the beginning of the title run.  I am well aware of that run.
I tell you this all the time in fact numerous times now with different books. The circulation numbers were
vastly smaller at the end of the run. 

image.thumb.png.cdeae8cdae438195899df93584ee2419.png

Which single, small distributor are those numbers from? That's certainly not the print run or full distribution.

The AH! covers were around 100k for sales and double that for print runs. And the beginning of the series was way higher than that.

On 4/24/2022 at 3:00 PM, Lazyboy said:

I wouldn't consider Marvel Tales or Xmen Classics to be hard to find. I still find these routinely in collections. Newsstands, maybe a tad harder. 

On 4/24/2022 at 6:45 PM, Lazyboy said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but have you ever read any of those CLassic Xmen? Many of them, especially the Claremont/ Byrne run are missing some of the original pages and some house artist at the time substituted their version of the art. It's awful. No wonder people would dump these. Outside of the cover, it's not even a passable reprint.