• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, darkstar said:

That Darkness book posted above isn't a simple mistake. You can't tout yourself as a grading authority and write that one off as a mistake, it isn't a borderline case, there is no argument to be made it is a 9.2 and that is even before looking at a scan of the back. 

Dig it, man.  It's a doozy of :censored: up but it's absolutely going to happen from time to time with the volume that's happening at CGC.  Obviously, these mistakes stand out BIG TIME at a company who's sole purpose is be the arbiter of condition.  It's the dumb and self-inflicted consequences of their success (or their success at convincing us to submit so much).

On 5/9/2022 at 5:45 AM, Corona smith said:

People also refer to CGC’s labels as the end all on any info on a given book.

Only the dumbest of the dumb.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:45 AM, Corona smith said:

I can tell you that Cable (excluding his baby appearance) first appears in NM86, NM87 &  NM88. Somehow though NM88 is his second appearance according to them.

However, they've got you on this one. Cable does not appear in New Mutants 86.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:16 PM, vader2001 said:

Sorry, Cable h.as a cameo appearance in New Mutants 86

Sorry, but he could not have a cameo as a new character (disregarding his eventually revealed backstory) and does not appear in the issue regardless.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:00 PM, Lazyboy said:

Only the dumbest of the dumb.

However, they've got you on this one. Cable does not appear in New Mutants 86.

So this isn’t him in NM86? Or are you to proud to admit you’re wrong? 

F49D7163-97E1-4073-A802-27E4E02F9580.jpeg

Edited by Corona smith

On 5/9/2022 at 6:54 PM, Lazyboy said:

Sorry, but he could not have a cameo as a new character (disregarding his eventually revealed backstory) and does not appear in the issue regardless.

I agree that a cameo should be used to describe when a character makes an appearance in another characters book. However it’s now used to describe a brief appearance of a character as well. 

On 5/9/2022 at 6:22 PM, darkstar said:

who dis?

nm86.png.80c98a4f778639ee768ef5c1c4dbacf6.png

On 5/9/2022 at 6:36 PM, Corona smith said:

So this isn’t him in NM86? Or are you to proud to admit you’re wrong? 

F49D7163-97E1-4073-A802-27E4E02F9580.jpeg

Poor, poor Stryfe. Forgotten by everyone. Well, forgotten by multiple people anyway. I guess his Legacy wasn't memorable enough.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:43 PM, Corona smith said:

Sorry for derailing even further but being called dumb by someone who clearly is wrong has to be addressed in my book. 

Maybe you should learn to read. Or don't, and maybe I'll actually call you dumb.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:42 PM, Corona smith said:

I agree that a cameo should be used to describe when a character makes an appearance in another characters book. However it’s now used to describe a brief appearance of a character as well. 

Actually, the people responsible for introducing the wrongly-labeled first appearance cameo to the hobby started to change the words they use years ago. So...

Edited by Lazyboy

On 5/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Beastfeast said:

Then those people are either lying or have them at CCS.  Modern slow track is at around 3 months and FT is 2-4 weeks.  Economy is another ball of yarn that keeps getting worse and worse, though.  Heard ECO FT is almost bearable and I wish I had used it on my last sub.  

Are any of those dozens of examples books you've had problems with?  Of the dozens of examples, do you have a number of satisfied people or acceptable books to compare and get a % of mistakes? Or are they examples from Facebook and the QC thread here?  "It's why I don't submit to CGC..."  Wait.  So you don't submit but you're complaining about issues related to submission?  

The rest of the rant is just hyperbole and cherry picking the worst examples.  That Darkness book is terrible but it's so obvious a mistake that no one but the greenest of the green would ever buy that and accept the grade.

I get it - CGC has problems and I agree.  But this way of writing about it is peak comic-nerd-hyperbole (Comic nerd as a term of endearment...I'm one, too).  It's just especially weird to be so incensed and not actually submit books.  

If he thinks the problems are bad now wait a year. This massive backlog of books will results in all types of errors. Anyone studying statistics can tell you that. The short answer is always well all go to the other guy, but the other guy will have the same problems eventually.

They are both suffering from massive glut. I think I discussed this a year or two ago when I saw all these signings and submissions starting going way up.

On 5/9/2022 at 8:32 PM, Lazyboy said:

Poor, poor Stryfe. Forgotten by everyone. Well, forgotten by multiple people anyway. I guess his Legacy wasn't memorable enough.

Yes, it’s unfortunate, poor Stryfe never caught on. You’ll see right below Stryfe is Cables first appearance which is in NM86. So CGC labeling NM88 as his second appearance isn’t correct.  

Trying not to cherry pick too much but I've noticed a weird trend recently of new CGC slabs with smudges on the front and back cover. I've seen 3 in the last month on Ebay and asked the owners if the book itself was damaged. The close up pictures show clear stains / smudges in the inside of the slabs that can't be removed unless you crack them.

My god would you be pissed if you got a 9.8 and the smudge made it unsellable.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:40 AM, James42 said:

It may be possible to send it back and have them fix it for free if they deem it to be worthy of a “Mechanical Error”

They are reslabbing slabs with hair in them, so I guess it’s possible they would fix this. 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:46 PM, awakeintheashes said:

It may be possible to send it back and have them fix it for free if they deem it to be worthy of a “Mechanical Error”

They are reslabbing slabs with hair in them, so I guess it’s possible they would fix this. 

At this point I think they're just blindly accepting MEs. I sent a vague message about some scuffs and they just said to send them back for reholdering. No pics even needed.

Edited by Tnexus

On 5/10/2022 at 12:40 AM, James42 said:

This is exactly why I look closely at pics, request more and ask questions if necessary. Ever since I bought a 9.8 that had 5-6 prominent color breaking spine tics. I have a 9.2 that has no less than 16 color breaking spine tics & fingerprints. 

On 5/10/2022 at 12:46 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Only if its within 2 weeks of being received back from CGC.