• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

If the appearances are layered like they were in actual comic chronology, I think the heat is justifiable to some extent. I guess I just don't have a lot of faith in Marvel following its traditional history because of the more recent films borrowing so much from the ultimate line and so little from the 616. If the appearances are storied like Nick Fury's appearances have been I think the heat on Thanos appearances will continue, but if we don't see him (and not merely small references that only have meaning to those who know too much about the Marvel chronology) then I think we'll see Thanos appearances cool. If, however, there is some minor continued ongoing plot references and appearances in the next couple films and a lengthy appearance in the Thor sequel - I tend to think Thanos could become the "it" villian in the next few years. I guess we'll get clues if Marvel breaks out another Thanos cross over after A v X or sometime in the next 9-18 months. Regardless, it was awesome to see him the way he was portrayed and I'm excited to see what is going to happen next! If only Marvel would start spend half as much time making great comics as it does making quality movies, I would be one happy reader. lol

Marvel plans to 'break out' Northstar's wedding after AVX.

Unless they draw Obama and Biden in attendance, I don't think anyone is really going to care about this one. Marvel has had lots of homosexual characters over the years if my memory's correct. I think Northstar was the first openly gay character and I believe that he came out in the 90s. They should have married him off then. Archie comics character got all the press for its wedding. They had the press under the impression that it was the first time that homosexuality was discussed in the pages of comic book published my a major publishing company. Marvel's PR department dropped the ball a long time ago. They better at least draw Lady Gaga singing with Eminem and Elton John or something or I'm afraid no one (other than those who read X books) is going to really care too much about this development in the plot.

need to go dig up my iron man 55 apparently.

i think the Vengeance of bane book had a bigger print-run than you imagine. there was a lot of hype and speculation going on with batman books in general before 497.

Not really. Vengeance of Bane came out well before the Azrael storyline. Neither it nor Sword of Azrael # 1 had any larger significance until much later.

I used to have the Previews that showed the Vengeance of Bane standing that month. It was definitely in the top 100 for the month, I believe around 81 or so. Rarer than Sword of Azrael 1--which was both a mini and had this hot artist named Quesada who was coming off of The Ray, but it had no hype and didn't break the top 50.

Not really. Vengeance of Bane came out well before the Azrael storyline. Neither it nor Sword of Azrael # 1 had any larger significance until much later.

I used to have the Previews that showed the Vengeance of Bane standing that month. It was definitely in the top 100 for the month, I believe around 81 or so. Rarer than Sword of Azrael 1--which was both a mini and had this hot artist named Quesada who was coming off of The Ray, but it had no hype and didn't break the top 50.

Azrael first appearances is something I keep an eye on for future references. ;) .

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Mr Zsasz appearance in Batman Begins did nothing for Shadow of the Bat #1!

VoB is a very good story in its own right, but unfortunately Bane didn't take off as a villain in the way the others did. A shame because he is a well thought out and rounded character, he has always been my favourite Bat villain.

Edited by Bane

Yes, but Sword of Azrael 1 had a giant print-run at least given the number of copies of it I have seen in dollar boxes over the years (though that dried up a few years ago). MY LCS had so many of them they tossed them in their $3 grab bags only to start ripping open those grab bags when it suddently became a $20 book.

Given the era I would imagine #81 had significantly more than a 100K print run, plus, being a one shot, extra copies were no doubt printed if there were follow-up orders and what not. If nothing else, DC was paying a lot for talent back then and one would figure they'd want to print enough to make it worthwhile. True, it's not like this is a book I have seen tons of in bargain bins, but I can't imagine it only had a 50-100K print run. Batman was DC's bread and butter back in 1992.

The growing trend over on The Market isn't a particular comic book this week but more about Michael Turner Variants.

Fathom Dawn of War #1 Variant

Soulfire #5 Variant

Aspen #1 2006 Variant

Wolverine Origins #1 Variant

I'm not sure why. (shrug)

The Wolverine 1 is signed so that is probably why the price is where it is. Here is an unsigned for $2.99 BIN -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-Origins-1-Variant-Edition-Nmnt-Comics-Book-/150805267029?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item231cb1c255

FHS

Yes, but Sword of Azrael 1 had a giant print-run

smiley_nah.gif

at least given the number of copies of it I have seen in dollar boxes over the years (though that dried up a few years ago). MY LCS had so many of them they tossed them in their $3 grab bags only to start ripping open those grab bags when it suddently became a $20 book.

Given the era I would imagine #81 had significantly more than a 100K print run, plus, being a one shot, extra copies were no doubt printed if there were follow-up orders and what not. If nothing else, DC was paying a lot for talent back then and one would figure they'd want to print enough to make it worthwhile. True, it's not like this is a book I have seen tons of in bargain bins, but I can't imagine it only had a 50-100K print run. Batman was DC's bread and butter back in 1992.

smiley_nah.gif

250px-Superman75.jpg

bloodshot01.jpg

Not really. Vengeance of Bane came out well before the Azrael storyline.

smiley_nah.gif

Neither it nor Sword of Azrael # 1 had any larger significance until much later.

hm

7328901163110156.jpg( 41BCpKax49L._SL500_AA300_.jpg = zzz)

tumblr_ln9965kJfJ1qlthmwo1_500.jpg( 41BCpKax49L._SL500_AA300_.jpg = hm)

Batman_497.jpg

( 41BCpKax49L._SL500_AA300_.jpg = :ohnoez:)

90769-796-37881-2-batman_super.jpg( 41BCpKax49L._SL500_AA300_.jpg = :flamed:)

I used to have the Previews that showed the Vengeance of Bane standing that month. It was definitely in the top 100 for the month, I believe around 81 or so. Rarer than Sword of Azrael 1--which was both a mini and had this hot artist named Quesada

smiley_nah.gif

$(KGrHqYOKjoE26TGDgKwBN)V3q,s9Q~~_3.JPG

ok, not giant like those books, but giant by today's standards. there are dozens of copies of the sword of azrael 1 on ebay right now, many for under $5. i have not bothered buying dozens of copies of that book in the dollar boxes over the years. (though maybe i should when i see them)

RMA, if you have any evidence of what the Bane print-run was, speak up. I just can't fathom something with nice cover art like that from DC in 1992 of all times being short printed. It wasn't a "big deal" right then because 50 different hot books a month were a big deal back then, it doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of copies out there. there's a reason it went down to $10 or $12 in the guide when interest cooled off, if it was actually hard to find it would have stayed high.

OK, wrong thread, but you guys aren't kidding, Iron Man 55 is sick hot right now. I just sold a mid-grade copy in 20 minutes without a scan (I was going to upload tonight) for 3X guide. I should have set my BIN higher!

According to that comichron site: Batman Sword of Azrael #1 was the #232nd best seller of the year for 1992, unable to beat out 'Lobo: Blazing Chain of Love', which came in 16 spots higher at #216.

It's strange, because I too have bought plenty of copies of B:SOA out of closeout boxes, and I would have figured it to have a higher print run. Then again, this was the early 90's, so who knows what the print run of a #232 of the year book might have been.

Superman ruled during this time though. Even in '93, the hoopla surrounding The Man of Steel gave him the Top 5 selling comics issues of the year. Batman #500 came in at #7, just behind Turok #1, and before Darker Image #1.

Batman #497 was #86, getting outsold by the Maxx #3 at #85.