• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,792 posts in this topic

I am finding that speculating on flipping new moderns (not old stuff like infinity gauntlet, etc.) has given me a lot of agida lately as on some recent "hot" books I am now wondering if I will be able to make my money (cover price) back and I hate losing money. Once these things go south they go south in a hurry. Unless something is solidly selling for $12-$25 the moment I buy it at cover I am not going to play these games anymore, no more trying to squeeze $5 out of some modern flip.

I don't get the same consternation buying older stuff. I'm going to stick to that, at least until another "can't miss" opportunity presents itself on the modern front.

Edited by the blob

I went to my local comic store to get mind the gap after seeing it get hype here on the

Modern boards. So i went and luckily they had a lot copies so i got 2 copies each of 1a and 1b.

I started browsing some more and found a pile of thief of thieves!!! I couldn't believe they had copies left! I ended up getting 3 issues 1s and 3 issues of 2 all first print. The weird thing was there was no copies of 3 and in the new releases, there were 2nd printings of issue 3.

Total haul all at cover price:

2 mind the gap 1a

2 mind the gap 1b

3 thief of thieves 1

3 thief of thieves 2

1 saga 1

Thank you cgc boards for letting me know about these awesome books! I normally don't check the modern boards but so glad i did!

I went to my local comic store to get mind the gap after seeing it get hype here on the

Modern boards. So i went and luckily they had a lot copies so i got 2 copies each of 1a and 1b.

I started browsing some more and found a pile of thief of thieves!!! I couldn't believe they had copies left! I ended up getting 3 issues 1s and 3 issues of 2 all first print. The weird thing was there was no copies of 3 and in the new releases, there were 2nd printings of issue 3.

2 mind the gap 1a

2 mind the gap 1b

3 thief of thieves 1

3 thief of thieves 2

1 saga 1

Thank you cgc boards for letting me know about these awesome books! I normally don't check the modern boards but so glad i did!

I hope I'm wrong (because I'm trying to sell some now), but I don't see MTG making you much loot.

The TOTs, yes, those are cash money...you could be looking at nearly a $170-$200 profit on those 6. I am sick to my stomach I only bought 1 copy of #1 when there were plenty available 3 months ago.

Saga 1...eh, a few bucks profit. Some folks here have been trying to sell them for huge bucks, but I'm just not seeing it, unless you have a 9.8 in a slab or something

But I'd say, overall, you had a very nice haul

I think my lcs is mOre concerned with magic than comics. They do have ridiculous prices on some of their back issues once they realize what it is. I actually bought an incredible hulk 340 here for cover price which was $1.25 i think. It looks like a nm copy too. I also went there today to find new x-men 128 but they didn't have any. What other issues should i try to dig up at my l s?

2 mind the gap 1a

2 mind the gap 1b

3 thief of thieves 1

3 thief of thieves 2

1 saga 1

I hope I'm wrong (because I'm trying to sell some now), but I don't see MTG making you much loot.

The TOTs, yes, those are cash money...you could be looking at nearly a $170-$200 profit on those 6. I am sick to my stomach I only bought 1 copy of #1 when there were plenty available 3 months ago.

Saga 1...eh, a few bucks profit. Some folks here have been trying to sell them for huge bucks, but I'm just not seeing it, unless you have a 9.8 in a slab or something

But I'd say, overall, you had a very nice haul

Consider them future investments. I hope saga and MTG will get more popular and people will be looking for the back issues they missed.

Simply PM me the address of this shop and I'll let you know what to look for....:-)

You can pretty figure it all out from this thread.

hahaha it's not like that at all. i really just got lucky with the hulk cause the main comic guy wasn't there.

As for Mind the Gap and all the books i got, I want to keep it as an investment for the long term. I usually get into comics every couple years and then forget about it for a couple years lol. Like i just started coming back to these boards after a 3 year absence because of the avengers movie (btw - i bought an iron man 55 back then because i liked drax the destroyer after reading annihilation and not cause of thanos :D).

Investing in modern comics long or medium term is tricky. For ever Walking Dead or Chew 1, books which seem to have some long-term collectability, there are 5 or 10 books that got hot for a while and are now cover price or less (Skull Kickers 1, Twenty Seven 1, etc.). And then there are books that become more collectible after a series has built momentum like Scalped 1, Fables 1 and Invincible 1 (WD was sort of like that, but it has progressed in stages....Chew was selling for real money the day it came out and sold out around 1 p.m.).... but then again, those sorts of books can cool off too when the series ends (see Preacher 1, Sandman 1)

Investing in modern comics long or medium term is tricky. For ever Walking Dead or Chew 1, books which seem to have some long-term collectability, there are 5 or 10 books that got hot for a while and are now cover price or less (Skull Kickers 1, Twenty Seven 1, etc.). And then there are books that become more collectible after a series has built momentum like Scalped 1, Fables 1 and Invincible 1 (WD was sort of like that, but it has progressed in stages....Chew was selling for real money the day it came out and sold out around 1 p.m.).... but then again, those sorts of books can cool off too when the series ends (see Preacher 1, Sandman 1)

+1

This post has wisdom and experience behind it. (thumbs u

Thanos Quest is brillant and one of the last books to have painted interior pages.

The art alone is well worth it. Well worth the money even at the price paid right now.

Thanos stuff is now exploding in prices like the Walking Dead was a few weeks ago!

:o

picked up uncharted #1 & 2 from my LCS for under cover. sold on ebay for $15 BIN (not trying to be too greedy)

noticed my LCS suddenly had multiple copies of ToT #2 again, so i bought 2 and sold them on ebay for $20 BIN. gonna go by the store again and pick up more copies today.