• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

So you spent $8 on the books and at least $3-4 on shipping + packing materials + time on listing and packing - Ebay FVF - Paypal fees? What do you net? $3? $4?

I just don't understand this.

I just sold 3 copies of WD Weekly #19 for $110 shipped, but not everything is a huge profit. Anyway, I spent $5.50 plus $5.18 to ship plus ebay/paypal. But I ship things out everyday, my post office is one block away from my house. So is my LCS. So, very little time and I don't have anything to do anyway. Sit around and watch tv or make decent side money. Profit is profit. I'll take all types of it. Small and large.

Edited by Hawkman

Sounds like quite a bit of work for a little payoff.

speaking of which, i forgot to give you a shipping quote on my, maybe, profitable (maybe $5) transaction with you...sorry, PM coming (yes, I know, if I actually had the 10 copies I thought I was getting it would be a lot more substantial)

at the end of the day it all adds up. if he can do 5-10 of those transactions a day, maybe bring in an extra $30-$40, that's $210-$280 a week, over $10,000 a year. cummulatively it starts looking like something real. if he has no retirement benefits at his job, that's a pretty nifty IRA contribution or whatever. it'll also cover the payments on a new car with some left over. in an economy where jobs are tough to come by, particularly jobs that entail you sitting in your house, it doesn't sound so terrible if you aren't pulling in six figures to start with (and even if you are and, let's say, just had a second kid...)

speaking of which, i forgot to give you a shipping quote on my, maybe, profitable (maybe $5) transaction with you...sorry, PM coming (yes, I know, if I actually had the 10 copies I thought I was getting it would be a lot more substantial)

at the end of the day it all adds up. if he can do 5-10 of those transactions a day, maybe bring in an extra $30-$40, that's $210-$280 a week, over $10,000 a year. cummulatively it starts looking like something real. if he has no retirement benefits at his job, that's a pretty nifty IRA contribution or whatever. it'll also cover the payments on a new car with some left over. in an economy where jobs are tough to come by, particularly jobs that entail you sitting in your house, it doesn't sound so terrible if you aren't pulling in six figures to start with (and even if you are and, let's say, just had a second kid...)

There's no question that if you're doing 100s or 1000s of bulk transactions, even a $1-2 profit pr. transaction starts adding up. In that case I'd also assume that you'd have the bulk-machinery-listing-packing-and-shipping system down, so your time is maximized.

But that's not what we're talking about here, though - we were talking about single eBay transactions where you've gone to your LCS, picked up 1-2 books, listed & sold them on eBay for a $3-4 profit and now has to ship & pack them as well. At that point branget is totally right - it's a lot of work for a tiny payoff.

There's no question that if you're doing 100s or 1000s of bulk transactions, even a $1-2 profit pr. transaction starts adding up. In that case I'd also assume that you'd have the bulk-machinery-listing-packing-and-shipping system down, so your time is maximized.

But that's not what we're talking about here, though - we were talking about single eBay transactions where you've gone to your LCS, picked up 1-2 books, listed & sold them on eBay for a $3-4 profit and now has to ship & pack them as well. At that point branget is totally right - it's a lot of work for a tiny payoff.

Its cake and its easy secondary income. Alot of people actually like doing it as well. Imagine providing a service that you know how to do well and make a small profit at it. How many other hobbies can say that? Its also a great feeling when someone thanks you for actually sending them the books well packed and grading correctly. I would imagine a retiree or someone on disability can do very well at this over time.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I sell books for profit, but just as much because I have fun. I live one block from my post office and two from my LCS (2 more within a mile). I walk/bike everywhere. I know and enjoy talking to my postal workers. They know me. My LCS has 5 really great people who I also enjoy talking to. I enjoy finding something, even if its small, I think I can profit off, and then doing it. Its not a job. But I make enough money after fees, shipping, that im able to pay all my bills but my rent every month with comic flipping money. Packing doesn't take me too long (imo) and its only 3-4 mins to the P.O. For as long as it lasts, I enjoy buying and selling books. I get to read stuff I might not pick up (M.P., Hardcore, Suicide Squad, Earth 2), and instead of sitting around, I get some exercise and talk to friends. It just depends on why you do it. Im not looking to get rich or rip anyone off, just have fun and see a profit. Also, I get free tape, markers, pens, and bubble wrap.

Its cake and its easy secondary income. Alot of people actually like doing it as well. Imagine providing a service that you know how to do well and make a small profit at it. How many other hobbies can say that? Its also a great feeling when someone thanks you for actually sending them the books well packed and grading correctly. I would imagine a retiree or someone on disability can do very well at this over time.

I pride myself on my packing and ability to grade decently. I enjoy shipping people well packaged books.

I pride myself on my packing and ability to grade decently. I enjoy shipping people well packaged books.

I couldn't agree more.

I was buying and reselling copies of Fatale #1 when it came out for 15 a piece, making after costs only about 6 or 7 bucks per issue. Regardless of if it adds up in the long run, it gives me short term satisfaction if anything that I could make a quick buck with something I enjoy reading. I generally always get thank you's from customers telling me thanks for the well packed item and they're stoked to get it. Win win situation if you ask me.

If you enjoy it that's awesome! Truly. :)

My background is cost accounting when I worked in the manufacturing sector. I enjoy numbers and minimizing my costs. I also enjoy standardizing my packaging/shipping.

In my case staying home with my 3 kids I need to maximize my dollar per hour. I simply don't have anymore than 10-12 hours a week for eBay.

Before the cracks about spending less time on the boards start I can type on the iPad and feed the baby like nobody's business. ;)

If you enjoy it that's awesome! Truly. :)

My background is cost accounting when I worked in the manufacturing sector. I enjoy numbers and minimizing my costs. I also enjoy standardizing my packaging/shipping.

In my case staying home with my 3 kids I need to maximize my dollar per hour. I simply don't have anymore than 10-12 hours a week for eBay.

Before the cracks about spending less time on the boards start I can type on the iPad and feed the baby like nobody's business. ;)

Yeah, in some peoples situations, it wouldn't make sense. I have no kids. No mortgage. No car payment. Plus if I had to drive to a post office, it wouldn't be profitable to make $3-4 off 1 book. Or if I did it JUST to make money. My LCS always over orders on everything and stocks tons of independent books, so I have access to books after they've gotten "hot." I get free bubble wrap from work. Otherwise, that can take away your profit. Etc etc.

More news from The Market! :ohnoez:

Harbinger #1 1:50 variant has already pulled ahead of the pack and is now listed as number six on Moderns heating up. Currently at $51.

And Dark Avengers #1 variant has taken off due to pictures and rumors of the next Iron Man 3 villain. Currently it's a $25+ book. eBay Complete Listings

I remember having trouble selling the Dark Avengers variant for $10. People are paying a lot of money based on a rumor. It would suck for them if it doesn't pan out.

It's not a rumor, right? There are pictures floating around:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/30/iron-man-3-to-feature-iron-patriot-but-theres-a-catch/

I remember having trouble selling the Dark Avengers variant for $10. People are paying a lot of money based on a rumor. It would suck for them if it doesn't pan out.

It's not a rumor, right? There are pictures floating around:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/30/iron-man-3-to-feature-iron-patriot-but-theres-a-catch/

I just feel bad for all the people that picked up Marvel Comics Presents #26 for like 30 bucks on ebay.