• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,840 posts in this topic

I liken the Revival CBLDF to Derek Jeter rookie cards...

You can buy all the Topps rookies you want or you can buy the UD SP rookie. It really comes down to what is rarer and what is more common and how you want to invest. Having 25 Topps rookies is cool, but 1 or 2 SP rookies is also pretty cool...

Personally after reading this thread and hearing from some friends...

It sounds like there is no shortage of Revivals on the shelf or from online comic shops?

if you are talking about the Revival B&W Cover, then i agree with your analogy.

if you are talking about "Cover B" then i would say Cover A is Jeter's Topps RC as Cover B is his UD (not the SP, just the base UD)

its not fair to compare his Topps to his SP really.

either way, money to be made on either. just different approaches and opportunities.

is it "easier" to move one $500 item or 20 $25 items?

no...the crux of the story is go for the best for the highest reward/risk.....rather than just settle for any old rookie card.

Don't settle for 2nd best (though sometimes i like to pretend i'm in the game by owning a small piece of a hot property).

Edited by krighton

no...the crux of the story is go for the best for the highest reward/risk.....rather than just settle for any old rookie card.

Don't settle for 2nd best (though sometimes i like to pretend i'm in the game by owning a small piece of a hot property).

oh i hear what your saying, but there are more then enough ways "to make money" if one was to be in it to do so.

Great question.

This evening I decided on the latter.

I grabbed 20 copies of Cover A vs. 1 copy of the CBLDF variant.

The reason is based on Saga #1s recent performance.

A 9.8 Saga #1 RRP recently sold on eBay for $325.

A 9.8 Saga #1 1st Print sold for around $77.

I preferred to chose the 20 x possible $77 ($1540) vs. 1 x possible $325.

Good point. Too often people focus on margin but don't consider transaction costs. If you stock up on the regular covers do you plan to get them graded? It's easier and cheaper to get one book graded than 20 and any flat transaction fees will be multiplied by 20. It takes more time to list and sell 20 books and time is money. It may still be better in the long run to get the 20 but this must factor into the calculation.

Full disclosure, I bought several cover A's and one CBLDF graded 9.8. It looks like at least 70% of my A covers will be 9.8's.

Great question.

Remember though that it will cost a lot more to grade the 20 copies. I figure about $30 per book if you go fast track for shipping and slabing. So that will be an extra $600.

But the good news is that the last GPA sale for a #1 is $90. So $90 x 20 = $1800 - $600 = $1200. So the individual route is paying off, assuming that all copies grade out at 9.8.

Good point. Too often people focus on margin but don't consider transaction costs. If you stock up on the regular covers do you plan to get them graded? It's easier and cheaper to get one book graded than 20 and any flat transaction fees will be multiplied by 20. It takes more time to list and sell 20 books and time is money. It may still be better in the long run to get the 20 but this must factor into the calculation.

Full disclosure, I bought several cover A's and one CBLDF graded 9.8. It looks like at least 70% of my A covers will be 9.8's.

Yes, time IS money, nobody can deny that. As with anything, there are two sides to it.

Yes, moving the $500 item is "easier", but it's not "easier" to find those willing to spend $500 vs the number of people that have $25 to spare

Yes, time IS money, nobody can deny that. As with anything, there are two sides to it.

Yes, moving the $500 item is "easier", but it's not "easier" to find those willing to spend $500 vs the number of people that have $25 to spare

I think we are in agreement. (thumbs u

Great question.

A Saga RRP has also sold for $700 and $750 on feebay also. I think the $325 purchase was abarent and not characteristic of what that book is going for. In fact a couple copies sold on these boards this week for $425 each. I tend to perfer a single transaction than multiple transactions b/c there's less risk, less time cost, etc. As far as items for my personal collection, I also prefer the nicer book.

Great question.

+1 my philosophy.

+ you meet more buyers which means more business down the road. (thumbs u

A Saga RRP has also sold for $700 and $750 on feebay also. I think the $325 purchase was abarent and not characteristic of what that book is going for. In fact a couple copies sold on these boards this week for $425 each.
All I've seen on the boards recently are:

A copy not able to sell at $400 shipped and yours that was listed last night...

I think $325 + shipping may be the new easy sell price point.

A Saga RRP has also sold for $700 and $750 on feebay also. I think the $325 purchase was abarent and not characteristic of what that book is going for. In fact a couple copies sold on these boards this week for $425 each.
All I've seen on the boards recently are:

A copy not able to sell at $400 shipped and yours that was listed last night...

I think $325 + shipping may be the new easy sell price point.

Agreed.