• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Yeah, I don't know Larry from Moe or Curly on these boards. Just seems like friendly advice to us fans on what is selling hot from his pov. (shrug)

You leave Curly out of this! :mad:

:kidaround:

Thanks for the kind words Sir.

Just a friendly heads up to boardies: Green Lantern Annual #1 is out of stock at Diamond.

I'm NOT telling you to spend medicine money on it. It will NOT put your children through community college.

It's a killer book though. Key. Smart. Fun.

I would imagine that it is indeed the next Sinestro Corps one shot.

Also.

If you speculated on the new 52 in the last year.

You did pretty good.

what about the curse/stigma of the annual? it always seems like annuals, even with key events, don't wind up doing as well as collectibles. no idea why.

I want to give credit to Larry. His recent posts have been pretty reasonable. Hopefully that will continue. In the past, the confrontations have been when people disagree on his picks or question his track record.

But something to keep in mind on Larry's picks. He runs a comic store. He appropriately cautions people about the fact that a book may increase in value but still have a pretty thin margin. He can purchase at good discount to cover to begin with and has multiple venues for selling that probably aren't open to most in this thread.

For me, if a $4 book goes to $10, I don't even care. It's not worth my time, let alone any risk, to make $3-4 after Ebay and Paypal fees.

I want to give credit to Larry. His recent posts have been pretty reasonable. Hopefully that will continue. In the past, the confrontations have been when people disagree on his picks or question his track record.

Or because he made racist "jokes".

+1

But something to keep in mind on Larry's picks. He runs a comic store. He appropriately cautions people about the fact that a book may increase in value but still have a pretty thin margin. He can purchase at good discount to cover to begin with and has multiple venues for selling that probably aren't open to most in this thread.

i.e. My Little Pony -- probably a safer bet for a B+M retailer than an internet flipper. Shelf stock can trickle out for a long time at a 50% profit. I have a buddy who runs an LCS who ordered BIG on SpongeBob 1 and is still selling them.

all my local shops are sold out of JL #12. my one copy is at $9.25 with 2 hours left

Funny you mention JLA #12, I walked into my LCS today while picking up a Superman #16 (1942) and he said here because your a great customer you can have this variant and regular of JLA #12 I said thank you and looked at the rack I I had the last one !!! It's good to be a big fish in a little pond.

133.jpg

Edited by cgriffith

Here's what I have from The Market today that is not CGC graded or a variant. I think this list is pretty standard. Not to many surprises here.

• Chew #1
  • Invincible #1
  • Thief of Thieves #1
  • Dark Knight #1
  • Justice League #1
  • Nightwing #1
  • NYX #3
  • Batman Vengence of Bane #1
  • Batman #1
  • Batman Adventures #12

Here's that same list with variants thrown into the mix

• Chew #1
  • Amazing Spider-Man #678 MJ Venom variant
  • Invincible #1
  • Before Watchmen #1 various variants
  • Justice League #12
  • Superman #75 Platinum
  • Thief of Thieves #1
  • Avengers Vs X-Men #10 Sketch Variant
  • Justice League #1
  • NYX #3
  • Vengence of Bane #1
  • Multiple Warheads #1
  • X-Men #25 Gold Variant
  • Batman Adventures #12
  • Wolverine #145 Gold Claw Variant

Maybe this is why we, as a collecting culture, enjoy variants. Not only does it satisfy our need to own something so few will ever be able to own but because each and every week it changes so drastically that it keeps us interested. hm(shrug)

Edited by whetteon

saw at least 100 Green Lantern Annual #1 and 200 JLA #12s today at Midtown

GLA 1s wont sell out until people read it and realize how much goes on in that book. I am not a huge GL fan, but after reading I realized what it was. That and the its very well written and great art.

JLA 12 in my opinion will sell well in the short term, but unless the make the Supes/WW thing more permanant it wont have legs. Its not a BoP 8. Print run is too high and there isnt much going on in the book although its pretty well written and the art wasnt bad either.