• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Reason:

1) Sometimes, when sellers see no bids on their items but a lot of watchers, they end it prematurely to avoid selling low. Some bidders avoid this by bidding early.

2) Not all bidders can monitor their bidding activities. Some just put their maximum bid and leave it there, hoping they win.

3) Even for those bidders who monitor their activities, there might be some activities that will demand them to put off ebay for a while (1 or 2 days); hence, they put their maximum bid early

But yeah, I hate it when a bidding frenzy starts on my watched items.

(thumbs u

Which is why I mostly do Buy It Now. Used to do more auctions, but watching an item for a week, then having to keep track of when it ends to put in last minute bids, then possibly losing, then having to repeat that again, etc. just started to get annoying, too much, etc. Just so much easier to buy it straight up.

The WORST is trying to buy multiple items in an auciton. If there's 5 comics I'm looking for (i.e. in a variant theme set), and I only win 3 of 5, THAT get's frustrating. It's hard enough sometimes finding a seller that has all 5.

Mind you, if it's a unique item, scarce item, or one that's not listed often, then I might go auction on it.

Time for my evening rant:

What's the deal with people that bid prematurely on Ebay? There are aholes that go back and forth days before the end of an auction chizzeling each other. I'm used to the last minute snipes and wait until the 11th hour to start watching so I'm not just bidding up the item in question....

Some people just use no common sense.....why beat each other over the heads with the bidding only to let others know how much interest there is in the item and drive the price up needlessly?

Great for the seller, but it often looks like a contest between bidders.

Now I'm not talking about shillers because they have an obvious agenda...I'm talking about legitimate buyers....

I'll be damned if I put in a high bid days before or hours before only to start a bidding frenzy.

Doesn't anyone teach bidding etiquette anymore? Jeeze louise it's auction 101 people!

?? Isn't that generally how an auction works??

I mean, I usually put in a mid-range bid, see where it goes, and save my absolute max bids for the last couple minutes.

BUT, I mean, if it gets bid high early on, then why bother to keep looking at the item?? Once it's over-priced, just move on to another one.

Why would one continue to bid on an over-priced item, when there are others going for half the price??

The idea, i think is to not allow the aution to overheat, so that the item does not reach an over-priced level too soon...

True. Ya, I know what Access means, but like most should have sense that if it's gotten ridiculous, just find the item being sold by someone else. And I don't understand why people would let it get ridiculous. If you have a comic at auction for $300 and for $500, why stay on the more expensive one? Or even let it get to that?

What's the deal with people that bid prematurely on Ebay? There are aholes that go back and forth days before the end of an auction chizzeling each other. I'm used to the last minute snipes and wait until the 11th hour to start watching so I'm not just bidding up the item in question....

Some people just use no common sense.....why beat each other over the heads with the bidding only to let others know how much interest there is in the item and drive the price up needlessly?

Now I'm not talking about shillers because they have an obvious agenda...I'm talking about legitimate buyers....

I'll be damned if I put in a high bid days before or hours before only to start a bidding frenzy.

Doesn't anyone teach bidding etiquette anymore? Jeeze louise it's auction 101 people!

?? Isn't that generally how an auction works??

I mean, I usually put in a mid-range bid, see where it goes, and save my absolute max bids for the last couple minutes.

BUT, I mean, if it gets bid high early on, then why bother to keep looking at the item?? Once it's over-priced, just move on to another one.

Why would one continue to bid on an over-priced item, when there are others going for half the price??

The idea, i think is to not allow the aution to overheat, so that the item does not reach an over-priced level too soon...

True. Ya, I know what Access means, but like most should have sense that if it's gotten ridiculous, just find the item being sold by someone else. And I don't understand why people would let it get ridiculous. If you have a comic at auction for $300 and for $500, why stay on the more expensive one? Or even let it get to that?

I'm with you there. I find it strange sometimes how ppl can get into a bidding war for one item, that is listed for cheaper somewhere else.

I think it can be a spur of the moment thing, where you kind of loose your objectivity for a short while. clicking on a higher price is easier than looking for another item \(shrug\)

I've been using Tacos approach myself, but lately I have also found sniping to be very effective.

a lot of ebay users are stupid and/or lazy.

? You're sitting at a computer while on eBay. There is laze involved no matter how you're bidding.

I meant lazy as in they are too lazy to actually shop around for the item they are bidding on. People bid on auctions where the exact same item can be bought elsewhere on Ebay through a BIN listing with a lower price than their current bid. Happens all the time.

So the auction I was talking about was an unopened case of Spawn #1 first print:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPAWN-1-Factory-Sealed-Case-200-Copies-9-8-9-9-10-0-CGC-Spider-Man-/330951239355?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=4zWa2dxKaVrFg2FFQHDtyYAn330%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It was literally $0 for days, then a coupla aholes started jacking the prices up.....coupla hours before the endgame folks started putting in penny ante bids for $10, $20....then some toolbags dropped a hundy in there......

I swung in at the last minute and shoulda put my big boy pants on....thought I'd drop a grand and change to be meaty from the prior $600 number.

Someone got sassier in the 11th hour and beat me by $25. I was going to go over the top at 2K but thought nobody had the sack to drop more coin at the last second. Next time I'm not going to put the kid gloves on. It's gonna be like a 5K bid over whatever I think my limit is to be sure nobody pulls this kinda caper again. I got headshot all over the joint with that $25. Had I known another sniper was in the area I woulda had my ghillie suit on.

So the auction I was talking about was an unopened case of Spawn #1 first print:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPAWN-1-Factory-Sealed-Case-200-Copies-9-8-9-9-10-0-CGC-Spider-Man-/330951239355?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=4zWa2dxKaVrFg2FFQHDtyYAn330%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It was literally $0 for days, then a coupla aholes started jacking the prices up.....coupla hours before the endgame folks started putting in penny ante bids for $10, $20....then some toolbags dropped a hundy in there......

I swung in at the last minute and shoulda put my big boy pants on....thought I'd drop a grand and change to be meaty from the prior $600 number.

Someone got sassier in the 11th hour and beat me by $25. I was going to go over the top at 2K but thought nobody had the sack to drop more coin at the last second. Next time I'm not going to put the kid gloves on. It's gonna be like a 5K bid over whatever I think my limit is to be sure nobody pulls this kinda caper again. I got headshot all over the joint with that $25. Had I known another sniper was in the area I woulda had my ghillie suit on.

Ah like the way you talk, mmm hmmm.

Ah like the way you talk, mmm hmmm.

Thanks slingblade! I dig the cut of your jib as well broham. :thumbsup:

Sean: that's a way to do it, but I see two issues with that...

1) You get outbid quickly

2) You drive up the price on yourself

For me the ideal situation is to wait until fairly late in the auction and then bid a ridiculous price that I'm actually willing to pay. If there's a frenzy at the end there usually isn't enough time to get to my bidding price unless someone is more fanatical about the item.

I just don't understand why folks bid against themselves by bidding the way they do. They easily jack up the cost by hundreds if not thousands sometimes.

You are absolutely right. But I am never disappointed if I get outbid, because I put my max in. I also never overpay or get hosed if someone else puts in an obscene snipe. And I sometimes I still win stuff, good stuff. Mostly for really good prices. I have lost on tons of stuff, for sure, but it is always on my own terms, and not because I forgot to set a snipe or something.

+1

If you win, you win, if you don't, find another one. I just put in a price i am willing to pay for something and wait to see if I win, if I don't, all good.

Reason:

1) Sometimes, when sellers see no bids on their items but a lot of watchers, they end it prematurely to avoid selling low. Some bidders avoid this by bidding early.

2) Not all bidders can monitor their bidding activities. Some just put their maximum bid and leave it there, hoping they win.

3) Even for those bidders who monitor their activities, there might be some activities that will demand them to put off ebay for a while (1 or 2 days); hence, they put their maximum bid early

But yeah, I hate it when a bidding frenzy starts on my watched items.

Good points but you left out something very important. Placing an early bid draws attention to an auction.

I've won auctions of mixed lots of comics that had hidden gems (unknown to the seller), because some clown bid early, at a very low price, and I came in with a snipe and sweep up the auction. Had this individual not put that bid in, on more than one occasion I wouldn't have bid, and that first bidder could have had that auction very, very cheap.

You guys talk about auctions...well are they not competitions? And in a competition isn't it to win at hopefully the lowest possible price? If you really want to win something and money is not an issue, then fine. But I don't know many people that would rather pay $250 than $200 for an item if given the choice, and sniping, more often that not, does that.

I understand a lot of people don't use esnipe, and I get that; for me it's an essential part of the buying process (like GPA for a buyer of CGCs).

It can also put people off though so that people looking for that item go and watch the auction that's still at $0.99. If there's a book that's worth $50 and one auction is at $30 already and another is at $0.99 the chances are the $0.99 one will have just as many or more watchers. So in a way, an auction with few or no bids can have more attention because people think there is more chance of getting a bargain with it than the one with more bids.

Good points but you left out something very important. Placing an early bid draws attention to an auction.

:winnah:

Agreed. Double-edged sword really.

In our local ebay site, I filter auctions that have actual bids on them to see what items are trending. If anything strikes my fancy, I snipe it. This generally has resulted into cheap purchases of expensive items.

CASE IN POINT:

Y The Last Man 1 signed by BKV with COA from Midtown for 10$. :)

I was going to write quite a few words in response to this but basically it comes down to this:

a lot of ebay users are stupid and/or lazy.

I have a max price and I bid it early. If it starts a frenzy so be it. I find it interesting to see three cancelled EBAY auctions in the last two week. No reason given other that no reserve was not really no reserve.

This went higher than I thought.

Superior Spider-Man #1 RAMOS Variant 1:50 CGC Signed By Stan Lee 9.8 AFTER 700

Item number: 370846994222

Sale price: $150.00

20 bids

End time: Jul-10-13 17:15:30 PDT

MY eBay Rant:

I am getting so friggin sick of those stupid eBay titles that include stuff like that up there, that have NO relation to the item whatsoever "After 700".

I know why people do it, but I find it so stupid when I see the words "LIKE" and "NOT" in a comics auction. Especially when something isn't LIKE something at all. And NOT? Ya, I could put Batman #1 is NOT a Lamborghani, NOT a pair of jeans, etc.

FRAG!

"Fraggle Rock Issue #1, LIKE Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Walking Dead #1, NOT CGC 10.0, CGC 15.4, NOT bars of gold, LIKE $1000 bills"

This went higher than I thought.

Superior Spider-Man #1 RAMOS Variant 1:50 CGC Signed By Stan Lee 9.8 AFTER 700

Item number: 370846994222

Sale price: $150.00

20 bids

End time: Jul-10-13 17:15:30 PDT

Saw that auction. Interesting results. hm