• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,841 posts in this topic

Don't forget that Kurtis has mentioned the continuation of the story in some format potentially beyond issue #25.

I only ever remember him saying it was 25 issues and definitely no more.

He's mentioned in the thread that he's considered telling the story from other people's perspectives later on. I believe he also mentioned something about a Tiger-Lilly spinoff. I'm paraphrasing, but I'm sure if you dig through all of Kurtis' posts you'll find some references. We also all know that alot is contingent upon demand for continuation.

walking dead was a 100.00 book for years !

This is an oft overlooked point. With the whiplash-inducing spikes in price (of PP) there are tons of people who have barriers to entry to the high end of collecting. Also, WD had droves of people buying and reading trades who were lured back to the floppies. Finally, I have yet to hear anyone rave about the story in PP. Has it been Eisner nominated? Is it going to go past 100 issues?

PP is already a speculator's dream. A couple of times as a matter of fact, because that big time softening led to another buying spree right after the animation announcement. I question the staying power and the long term play.

It's 25 issues. I would hope the new-found readership could extend it a bit more, but if it is at the expense of the story - then NO.

It's not the motion comic , despite the fact that Perlman, Glau and Wood are signed up that makes this a volcano.

It should be on that alone.

Look at the history of these 3.

Just off the top of my head, Hellboy, Sons of Anarchy, Firefly, Serenity, Green Street, The Hobbit etc etc.

These are names any TV series would dream of having!

The Walking Dead , I love it, like amazingly so - but there isn't a well known actor in it except Michael Rooker, whos best days were long ago.

Andrew Lincoln and David Morrisey are solid English TV actors, who are not known at all in the USA.

Imagine a couple of actors in Peter Panzerfaust, the TV series, which Kurtis Weibe has CONFIRMED is a go, being in massive Movies this year, and as main characters.

A seriously talented and popular actor has been approached to play Peter.

Edited by Beige

I'll eat some 60 yr. old pie if she keeps it warm, clean and trimmed. :wink:

lol

Don't forget that Kurtis has mentioned the continuation of the story in some format potentially beyond issue #25.

I only ever remember him saying it was 25 issues and definitely no more.

He's mentioned in the thread that he's considered telling the story from other people's perspectives later on. I believe he also mentioned something about a Tiger-Lilly spinoff. I'm paraphrasing, but I'm sure if you dig through all of Kurtis' posts you'll find some references. We also all know that alot is contingent upon demand for continuation.

Yes I believe recently he was directly asked how long the book will continue and Kurtis replied "as long as people read it" which was a change from the 25 issues he said about 4-5 months ago

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying there are plenty of low priced listings for early issues of this book on ebay at the moment. And variants for issue 10.

Back on topic, while I believe this may have been alluded to or mentioned before, The Dark Knight Returns has been selling pretty well over the last week or so at around $25 in "near mint".

What issues are hot right now? The whole series?

Issue 4.

hm

It's been out 12 months, and already has hit $660+

Lower print run.

Motion comic with Perlman,Glau and the Hobbit.

Now a major BBC series confirmed.

I personally think there is a whole lot more growth in this book.

You do not, and I respect your educated decision.

I hope I am right, but if not, so be it.

Your biggest risk at this point is quality of production. Having major talent attached to a project is no guarantee of success. Johnny Depp couldn't save The Lone Ranger.

What you will get is more interest in the property prior to release, versus having a bunch of no-names cast.

I don't have a boinger for this book but I am intrigued. Two things no one has mentioned that cut different ways:

1. A large portion of the print run is in the hands of speculators. This was not the case with walking dead because most speculators sold off at certain price points because no recent books soared to that level, and few could believe what was happening would be sustained(see the bubble burst thread). When the book hit $100 many of the original hoarders sold off, some new speculators entered the market but most did not ammase hoarder level inventories (though I have seen a few). PP on the other hand was purchases enmass by several speculators, when they are satisfied that it is time to sell, there will be a good supply. The one million dollar question is whether the demand at the time will out strip the supply at the new price point, if so the book will skyrocket, if not, it could stall out.

2. Considering demand. Walking dead is huge. However, PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience. If the show is quality, and the comic story can draw people in, things will explode. If not then, speculators will be looking to dump those stocks.

There are too many variables at this point to call the book either way. But unlike 99.99% of other books, this book has potential. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the quality of the art over the run. Tyler is really picking up steam and the cover to #15 proves it, that is killer. I am very happy for the creators and I hope they can parlay this success into a fulfilling career.

The Lone Ranger was a loser project with or without Depp. Why would anyone in their right mind in Hollywood think that it would lift off?

How many kids you know are actively playing "Cowboys and Indians" anymore?

(insert cricket noises here)

Your biggest risk at this point is quality of production. Having major talent attached to a project is no guarantee of success. Johnny Depp couldn't save The Lone Ranger.

What you will get is more interest in the property prior to release, versus having a bunch of no-names cast.

On a channel that couldn't deliver the hype of the new Dr. Who to the states.

The Lone Ranger was a loser project with or without Depp. Why would anyone in their right mind in Hollywood think that it would lift off?

How many kids you know are actively playing "Cowboys and Indians" anymore?

(insert cricket noises here)

Don't lose the forest for the trees. The point is that cast talent is no guarantee of project success.

On a channel that couldn't deliver the hype of the new Dr. Who to the states.

Have you been to any conventions lately...? I see more Dr Who costumes than just about anything else.

That is what makes westerns so hard to do well anymore. Sure I like them if they are done well but society seems to want to watch more reality tv than something that reminds them of the past. International movies watchers have no real understanding or relationship with cowboys, its a niche that works in the US only.

You're right bro, the show could indeed fail.

That's not going to stop any run-up of pricing before the hammer falls.

+1

Sell the sizzle...not the steak.

Mmmm... Fajitas.

That is what makes westerns so hard to do well anymore. Sure I like them if they are done well but society seems to want to watch more reality tv than something that reminds them of the past. International movies watchers have no real understanding or relationship with cowboys, its a niche that works in the US only.

Howdy *tips cowboy hat* *spits* *walks off into the staff carpark sunset*

You're right bro, the show could indeed fail.

That's not going to stop any run-up of pricing before the hammer falls.

The show is "in development" - there's no guarantee it'll even make it on the air :shrug:

Howdy *tips cowboy hat* *spits* *walks off into the staff carpark sunset*

lol

I liked Cowboys and Aliens but then again Olivia Wilde was in it :cloud9: