• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
69 69

63,924 posts in this topic

we, the boards, are dealers and buy low, always, and sell high, always. collectors pay what they want, price does not matter to collectors.

Yes, we on the boards are geniuses. No boardie ever pays too much or sells for too little. It's only the suckers out there in the general public.

We are also all winning poker players.

Yup, I'm glad I dumped a bunch of Saga 1s for $5-$6 a pop last year before it tanked.....

Hahahaha not exactly a perfect move but if you bought a lot at 35-50 % off, you still won...kind of..I sold 7 TWD #1s for around $100. Stuff happens lol

Where would I have been getting them for 35-50% off? I am not a comic shop. And while I can probably get a 20% file discount somewhere, I am not willing to speculate on this stuff 2 or 3 months in advance and certainly not for the 20-50 copies needed to make these real investment moves. the saga 1s were bought at cover price from a shop that ordered a ton. I sold others at $10-$20 each I did well as later copies I sold for $30 a pop...two weeks before they were going for $80-$100 a pop....UHG.

I bought my first ten saga #1s at 40% off. I'm not a comic book shop. :whistle:

Yeah, you don't have to be a shop to get discounts. Sounds like you won either way which was the point of the original poster. I would agree that your odds are long to Even break even if you are waiting to buy stuff and paying cover for everything. Cover is great if it's bringing more than that elsewhere only or if you are just collecting. This was what the original discussion was about. Collectors will pay whatever they can to get what they want while the majority of people on this site search for bargains and usually find them.

You can find discounts of 35-50% on many internet retailers sites. Good luck (thumbs u

Since there's not much talk, question (something I've been thinking about):

1-I've wondered about this scenario for a while, if it ever happens.

2-I've wondered about peoples opinions of it (if it does go on, or if it were to happen).

3-Is it ethical or unethical? Fair game or slimy undercutting?

Scenario:

Store X keeps up with what's hot, what's selling, ebay prices, while Store Y isn't as current, comics become back issues in 4-5 months (or sell out before then) and stay at cover price, back issues priced accordingly and prices dont' change often.

Store X owner/employees will go to Store Y, and pick up new issues that they've sold out of at their store (which are hot/go for more than cover, etc.) for cover, then sell for current hot prices at their own store. Store X will also pick up back issues from Store Y for cheaper when they see that their is a price raise, and sell for current prices.

Discuss.

This is what I used to do when i was a kid and doing shows. I didn't have a store front, but I would take some of the books to other shops for a 5-25x flip. There were a lot of shops that did not care about anything except Silver and Gold. Everything else got priced once and went into back issue stock. They only used the big guide, and did not look at the Monthly Updates or CVM. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. :cloud9:

Man I miss those days. With the information instantly available thanks to technology, I doubt we will ever see that or anything like it again. On the other hand, I don't miss cassettes, VHS, or the lack of TPBs we used to have. Fair trade lol

Those days have never stopped for myself. Both in Oregon and Alaska, I would say only two stores, out of 20-25 stores, that are really "up to date" and leaders on the culture they supply, whether they don't care to be top of their business field, or are just poorly ran businesses, either way, Rare to find a store that I consider experts in the market.

One of the best ran stores in ak/or is - I love Comics in Vancouver Washington, the owner Chris is a nice guy and the most well educated of the store owners I have met. I personally shop at Excalibur comics in Portland, huge selection, great people, and are an example of one of those shops that does so well, they just don't care to stay up with current tends. They know me well and a lot of their info on current stuff comes from me when they ask what up with just about everything I buy! :applause: yesterday I got the " up to your old tricks again I see, what's up with theses? As I walked up with 10 copies of catwoman 23.

All other stores are current trend gold mines! Collecting is awesome in the northwest!

Hahah, I love when I see stores, and they're still selling Uncanny X-Men 281 et al. for like $20, many hot 90's comics for hot 90's prices. Like man, get with the times. That was TWENTY years ago! It's like they see that those comics hit those prices, and then refuse to lower them, thinking "well, it was worth that at one point...so I don't want to LOSE the money I could have had at the time..."

Many of the "valuable" comics are actually not $1 stuff, maybe like $5 at least, or $10. But when I see stuff that should CLEARLY not be priced at like $40 and up, you can immediately tell the year they stopped following comics and comic prices.

I think it would be interesting to track moderns over time - so few of them sustain their brief flight into the double-digits. Even when they do - you see them often being discounted a few months or years later.

Obviously, a book like Waking Dead #1 is an exception, but I sincerely believe it will also eventually fall.

Going way back (and showing how old I am). I remember two books specifically from my youth: Conan #1 and Howard the Duck #1.... heck, I even remember how Dazzler #1 had a bit of a spike.

I think the DC 3D covers are neat, but I also think that we will see their prices come down pretty quick in about 6 months.

There's probably going to be the 10 or so (out of 52) that stay "the place to be" over the long term.

I remember Howard the Duck 1 blowing up and I had a nice collection of Conan. Rom and Dazzler were a few years later. I think Conan has done well. It sells for about 1000 times cover in fine condition. Not too shabby . The Dazzler in X-men goes for about 100 times cover, still not bad. The Howard the Duck books tanked. I traded a bunch of those for a bunch of Atom and Atom/Hawkman books. I always felt like I got the best of that deal but at the time I was constantly told I got my head knocked off lol

Here's the only Dazzler comic i would have anywhere near my collection. 1st Pro work for Paul Chadwick!

Dazzler_Vol_1_38_zps65aeedb8.jpg

2-I've wondered about peoples opinions of it (if it does go on, or if it were to happen).

Scenario:

Store X keeps up with what's hot, what's selling, ebay prices, while Store Y isn't as current, comics become back issues in 4-5 months (or sell out before then) and stay at cover price, back issues priced accordingly and prices dont' change often.

Store X owner/employees will go to Store Y, and pick up new issues that they've sold out of at their store (which are hot/go for more than cover, etc.) for cover, then sell for current hot prices at their own store. Store X will also pick up back issues from Store Y for cheaper when they see that their is a price raise, and sell for current prices.

Discuss.

This is what I used to do when i was a kid and doing shows. I didn't have a store front, but I would take some of the books to other shops for a 5-25x flip. There were a lot of shops that did not care about anything except Silver and Gold. Everything else got priced once and went into back issue stock. They only used the big guide, and did not look at the Monthly Updates or CVM. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. :cloud9:

Man I miss those days. With the information instantly available thanks to technology, I doubt we will ever see that or anything like it again. On the other hand, I don't miss cassettes, VHS, or the lack of TPBs we used to have. Fair trade lol

Those days have never stopped for myself. Both in Oregon and Alaska, I would say only two stores, out of 20-25 stores, that are really "up to date" and leaders on the culture they supply, whether they don't care to be top of their business field, or are just poorly ran businesses, either way, Rare to find a store that I consider experts in the market.

One of the best ran stores in ak/or is - I love Comics in Vancouver Washington, the owner Chris is a nice guy and the most well educated of the store owners I have met. I personally shop at Excalibur comics in Portland, huge selection, great people, and are an example of one of those shops that does so well, they just don't care to stay up with current tends. They know me well and a lot of their info on current stuff comes from me when they ask what up with just about everything I buy! :applause: yesterday I got the " up to your old tricks again I see, what's up with theses? As I walked up with 10 copies of catwoman 23.

All other stores are current trend gold mines! Collecting is awesome in the northwest!

Hahah, I love when I see stores, and they're still selling Uncanny X-Men 281 et al. for like $20, many hot 90's comics for hot 90's prices. Like man, get with the times. That was TWENTY years ago! It's like they see that those comics hit those prices, and then refuse to lower them, thinking "well, it was worth that at one point...so I don't want to LOSE the money I could have had at the time..."

Many of the "valuable" comics are actually not $1 stuff, maybe like $5 at least, or $10. But when I see stuff that should CLEARLY not be priced at like $40 and up, you can immediately tell the year they stopped following comics and comic prices.

This happens a lot more than you would expect. They don't always price up but they never price down lol

Edited by The Authority

I think it would be interesting to track moderns over time - so few of them sustain their brief flight into the double-digits. Even when they do - you see them often being discounted a few months or years later.

Obviously, a book like Waking Dead #1 is an exception, but I sincerely believe it will also eventually fall.

Going way back (and showing how old I am). I remember two books specifically from my youth: Conan #1 and Howard the Duck #1.... heck, I even remember how Dazzler #1 had a bit of a spike.

I think the DC 3D covers are neat, but I also think that we will see their prices come down pretty quick in about 6 months.

There's probably going to be the 10 or so (out of 52) that stay "the place to be" over the long term.

I remember Howard the Duck 1 blowing up and I had a nice collection of Conan. Rom and Dazzler were a few years later. I think Conan has done well. It sells for about 1000 times cover in fine condition. Not too shabby . The Dazzler in X-men goes for about 100 times cover, still not bad. The Howard the Duck books tanked. I traded a bunch of those for a bunch of Atom and Atom/Hawkman books. I always felt like I got the best of that deal but at the time I was constantly told I got my head knocked off lol

Here's the only Dazzler comic i would have anywhere near my collection. 1st Pro work for Paul Chadwick!

Dazzler_Vol_1_38_zps65aeedb8.jpg

Very cool. I used to collect all of those early X-men crossovers. I think they were in Rom 17 and 18 early on but I may have the numbers wrong. It was a very cool story though.

I bought my first ten saga #1s at 40% off. I'm not a comic book shop.

Yeah, you don't have to be a shop to get discounts. Sounds like you won either way which was the point of the original poster. I would agree that your odds are long to Even break even if you are waiting to buy stuff and paying cover for everything. Cover is great if it's bringing more than that elsewhere only or if you are just collecting. This was what the original discussion was about. Collectors will pay whatever they can to get what they want while the majority of people on this site search for bargains and usually find them.

You can find discounts of 35-50% on many internet retailers sites. Good luck

When did you place the order to get that discount? Was it after the release?

I generally on speculate on new books that have started picking up steam already, rarely do I do it on a hunch.

How would buying at cover been risky on Conan or Howard? Conan got expensive and stayed expensive. Howard has been up and down, but I think it never wasn't a $3-$5 book even if it was $25 at one point.

Dazzler 1 was in a lot of 50 cent boxes for a long time. You could have gotten burned on that one along with New Mutants 1, Rom 1, Alpha Flight 1 and a lot of #1 from the early 80s.

I bought my first ten saga #1s at 40% off. I'm not a comic book shop.

You can find discounts of 35-50% on many internet retailers sites. Good luck

When did you place the order to get that discount? Was it after the release?

I generally on speculate on new books that have started picking up steam already, rarely do I do it on a hunch.

I assume that you are asking Jimmy but I do this on a lot of stuff. Sometimes I win and sometimes I break even but it's really hard to lose unless you just hang on way too long. This is how I pay for my collection. I, like you, will jump in on something once it gets a little steam but the margins aren't as nice. I would bet a lot of people do the same on this site. There are 2 books coming out in the next few months that I consider very low risk and I will buy a lot of those. Other than that, I will buy a few of a lot of titles.

How would buying at cover been risky on Conan or Howard? Conan got expensive and stayed expensive. Howard has been up and down, but I think it never wasn't a $3-$5 book even if it was $25 at one point.

Dazzler 1 was in a lot of 50 cent boxes for a long time. You could have gotten burned on that one along with New Mutants 1, Rom 1, Alpha Flight 1 and a lot of #1 from the early 80s.

New Mutants never took off and only X-men collectors bought them the best I can remember, I traded one set of my Roms for a complete run of Defenders which I was thrilled with. The early X-men crossover was going for more than the rest of the set although 24 and 25 had Galactus which was a big deal back then. I think. You can still find Dazzler 1 cheap but the cover was definitely different than anything else out at the time.

Speaking of bad 80s number 1s, remember Team America ?lol

I saw in here recently that Barnes & Noble carried some new comics. So I popped into a local one earlier today. They actually had one copy of Catwoman #23 left at $2.99. I snatched it right up of course. Didn't find anything else though (no 3Ds). Looks like this B&N only carries some of the Marvel and DC books...nothing else but TPBs.

Scenario:

Discuss.

Yeah, right? Us dumb comic shop owners could sure learn a thing or two from you dude. You sure seem to be a right clever fella. :eyeroll:

New Mutants never took off and only X-men collectors bought them the best I can remember, I traded one set of my Roms for a complete run of Defenders which I was thrilled with. The early X-men crossover was going for more than the rest of the set although 24 and 25 had Galactus which was a big deal back then. I think. You can still find Dazzler 1 cheap but the cover was definitely different than anything else out at the time.

this is true.

Does anyone think that when it comes to indie books, #1 is more important? When it comes to marvel and DC books first appearences are more important? I.E. New mutants #98 vs NM #1 , Xfactor 6, Xfactor 24 Vs Xfactor 1. Or maybe just for copper age? hmmm.

I am always picking Dazzler 1's out of other dealer's bins for £1 and selling them immediately in the shop for £5 or £6. Great cover with a nostalgic attachment for many. Also minor historical importance as being a direct market test book.

Not a big money book, but an eay sell.

It also depends a lot on the story and art. Many indies #1 sit in 0.50 bins as well.

Because marvel and DC are mainstream companies with much more exposure and collectors to support their books, first appearance are much more sought after. A majority of collectors sought out first appearance in the hope that he/she will become major characters.

I, personally, would check out books recommended by my peers or have great reviews. The bottom line is that great stories and or art will always gain readers and that will make the book desirable in the long term.

Scenario:

Discuss.

Yeah, right? Us dumb comic shop owners could sure learn a thing or two from you dude. You sure seem to be a right clever fella. :eyeroll:

You are on this site a lot and obviously wise as to what's up. There are guys running shops who never change anything. I was in a shop looking through new arrivals last week and saw Origin #1 for $50. Someone may buy it for that but not if they see the entire run of 1 through 6 for $20-$30 on ebay. I have seen boxes of wildcats 2 holo cover for $10 recently. It's a dollar book every day on ebay.

We have 3 very likable comic shop owners around here and they are all good enough to be in business 20 plus years. That doesn't mean they are current on what all of there stuff is worth. They have 1000s of comics that have been priced the same since the mid 90s. I hope they all do well because I like them and I love going to their shops. It's just an observation, not a slight. 2c

this is true.

Does anyone think that when it comes to indie books, #1 is more important? When it comes to marvel and DC books first appearences are more important? I.E. New mutants #98 vs NM #1 , Xfactor 6, Xfactor 24 Vs Xfactor 1. Or maybe just for copper age? hmmm.

I think you are right on. I think TWD first appearances are making that book more in the Marvel/DCmode.

I am always picking Dazzler 1's out of other dealer's bins for £1 and selling them immediately in the shop for £5 or £6. Great cover with a nostalgic attachment for many. Also minor historical importance as being a direct market test book.

Not a big money book, but an eay sell.

Yeah, I can see that. I love the cover as well. I don't. Think it had anything to do with story but it caused me to pick it up (thumbs u

It also depends a lot on the story and art. Many indies #1 sit in 0.50 bins as well.

Because marvel and DC are mainstream companies with much more exposure and collectors to support their books, first appearance are much more sought after. A majority of collectors sought out first appearance in the hope that he/she will become major characters.

I, personally, would check out books recommended by my peers or have great reviews. The bottom line is that great stories and or art will always gain readers and that will make the book desirable in the long term.

True.

this is true.

I think you are right on. I think TWD first appearances are making that book more in the Marvel/DCmode.

I was thinking the same thing. TWD is the only exception I can think of.