• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Since there's not much talk, question (something I've been thinking about):

1-I've wondered about this scenario for a while, if it ever happens.

2-I've wondered about peoples opinions of it (if it does go on, or if it were to happen).

3-Is it ethical or unethical? Fair game or slimy undercutting?

Scenario:

Store X keeps up with what's hot, what's selling, ebay prices, while Store Y isn't as current, comics become back issues in 4-5 months (or sell out before then) and stay at cover price, back issues priced accordingly and prices dont' change often.

Store X owner/employees will go to Store Y, and pick up new issues that they've sold out of at their store (which are hot/go for more than cover, etc.) for cover, then sell for current hot prices at their own store. Store X will also pick up back issues from Store Y for cheaper when they see that their is a price raise, and sell for current prices.

Discuss.

This is what I used to do when i was a kid and doing shows. I didn't have a store front, but I would take some of the books to other shops for a 5-25x flip. There were a lot of shops that did not care about anything except Silver and Gold. Everything else got priced once and went into back issue stock. They only used the big guide, and did not look at the Monthly Updates or CVM. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. :cloud9:

Man I miss those days. With the information instantly available thanks to technology, I doubt we will ever see that or anything like it again. On the other hand, I don't miss cassettes, VHS, or the lack of TPBs we used to have. Fair trade lol

Those days have never stopped for myself. Both in Oregon and Alaska, I would say only two stores, out of 20-25 stores, that are really "up to date" and leaders on the culture they supply, whether they don't care to be top of their business field, or are just poorly ran businesses, either way, Rare to find a store that I consider experts in the market.

One of the best ran stores in ak/or is - I love Comics in Vancouver Washington, the owner Chris is a nice guy and the most well educated of the store owners I have met. I personally shop at Excalibur comics in Portland, huge selection, great people, and are an example of one of those shops that does so well, they just don't care to stay up with current tends. They know me well and a lot of their info on current stuff comes from me when they ask what up with just about everything I buy! :applause: yesterday I got the " up to your old tricks again I see, what's up with theses? As I walked up with 10 copies of catwoman 23.

All other stores are current trend gold mines! Collecting is awesome in the northwest!

Hahah, I love when I see stores, and they're still selling Uncanny X-Men 281 et al. for like $20, many hot 90's comics for hot 90's prices. Like man, get with the times. That was TWENTY years ago! It's like they see that those comics hit those prices, and then refuse to lower them, thinking "well, it was worth that at one point...so I don't want to LOSE the money I could have had at the time..."

Many of the "valuable" comics are actually not $1 stuff, maybe like $5 at least, or $10. But when I see stuff that should CLEARLY not be priced at like $40 and up, you can immediately tell the year they stopped following comics and comic prices.

Yeah, right? Us dumb comic shop owners could sure learn a thing or two from you dude. You sure seem to be a right clever fella. :eyeroll:

You are on this site a lot and obviously wise as to what's up. There are guys running shops who never change anything. I was in a shop looking through new arrivals last week and saw Origin #1 for $50. Someone may buy it for that but not if they see the entire run of 1 through 6 for $20-$30 on ebay. I have seen boxes of wildcats 2 holo cover for $10 recently. It's a dollar book every day on ebay.

We have 3 very likable comic shop owners around here and they are all good enough to be in business 20 plus years. That doesn't mean they are current on what all of there stuff is worth. They have 1000s of comics that have been priced the same since the mid 90s. I hope they all do well because I like them and I love going to their shops. It's just an observation, not a slight. 2c

I get it. But while you make your comments in a polite and respectful manner Dukes just seems to love dealer baiting. It was that which I was reacting to. (thumbs u

Hey, I respect all business owners. Im planning to take it easy in the coming months to, maybe, opening a comic store. A great way for me to interact with other collectors and still retain the lifestyle of golfing a few times each week.

If you can afford to golf a few times a week... (thumbs u

:jokealert:

How would buying at cover been risky on Conan or Howard? Conan got expensive and stayed expensive. Howard has been up and down, but I think it never wasn't a $3-$5 book even if it was $25 at one point.

Dazzler 1 was in a lot of 50 cent boxes for a long time. You could have gotten burned on that one along with New Mutants 1, Rom 1, Alpha Flight 1 and a lot of #1 from the early 80s.

New Mutants never took off and only X-men collectors bought them the best I can remember, I traded one set of my Roms for a complete run of Defenders which I was thrilled with. The early X-men crossover was going for more than the rest of the set although 24 and 25 had Galactus which was a big deal back then. I think. You can still find Dazzler 1 cheap but the cover was definitely different than anything else out at the time.

Speaking of bad 80s number 1s, remember Team America ?lol

I sure do! :headbang:

TeamAmericafinalresults.jpg

I actually just got their creator J.M DeMatteis to autograph the book a couple weekends ago at Baltimore Con. He smiled as I approached, but when I pulled the book out, he practically had to choke back his laughter, "Team America?!" I'm sure it was a first for him. I explained that it was a sentimental favorite of my brother's and mine. He flipped through it, amused, before signing it. I would have stuck around longer, except there was a line in front of his table (for someone else) that was looking over my shoulder snickering. I don't care though. TEAM AMERICA, EFF YEAH!!!

2-I've wondered about peoples opinions of it (if it does go on, or if it were to happen).

Scenario:

Store X keeps up with what's hot, what's selling, ebay prices, while Store Y isn't as current, comics become back issues in 4-5 months (or sell out before then) and stay at cover price, back issues priced accordingly and prices dont' change often.

Store X owner/employees will go to Store Y, and pick up new issues that they've sold out of at their store (which are hot/go for more than cover, etc.) for cover, then sell for current hot prices at their own store. Store X will also pick up back issues from Store Y for cheaper when they see that their is a price raise, and sell for current prices.

Discuss.

This is what I used to do when i was a kid and doing shows. I didn't have a store front, but I would take some of the books to other shops for a 5-25x flip. There were a lot of shops that did not care about anything except Silver and Gold. Everything else got priced once and went into back issue stock. They only used the big guide, and did not look at the Monthly Updates or CVM. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. :cloud9:

Man I miss those days. With the information instantly available thanks to technology, I doubt we will ever see that or anything like it again. On the other hand, I don't miss cassettes, VHS, or the lack of TPBs we used to have. Fair trade lol

Those days have never stopped for myself. Both in Oregon and Alaska, I would say only two stores, out of 20-25 stores, that are really "up to date" and leaders on the culture they supply, whether they don't care to be top of their business field, or are just poorly ran businesses, either way, Rare to find a store that I consider experts in the market.

One of the best ran stores in ak/or is - I love Comics in Vancouver Washington, the owner Chris is a nice guy and the most well educated of the store owners I have met. I personally shop at Excalibur comics in Portland, huge selection, great people, and are an example of one of those shops that does so well, they just don't care to stay up with current tends. They know me well and a lot of their info on current stuff comes from me when they ask what up with just about everything I buy! :applause: yesterday I got the " up to your old tricks again I see, what's up with theses? As I walked up with 10 copies of catwoman 23.

All other stores are current trend gold mines! Collecting is awesome in the northwest!

Hahah, I love when I see stores, and they're still selling Uncanny X-Men 281 et al. for like $20, many hot 90's comics for hot 90's prices. Like man, get with the times. That was TWENTY years ago! It's like they see that those comics hit those prices, and then refuse to lower them, thinking "well, it was worth that at one point...so I don't want to LOSE the money I could have had at the time..."

Many of the "valuable" comics are actually not $1 stuff, maybe like $5 at least, or $10. But when I see stuff that should CLEARLY not be priced at like $40 and up, you can immediately tell the year they stopped following comics and comic prices.

Yeah, right? Us dumb comic shop owners could sure learn a thing or two from you dude. You sure seem to be a right clever fella. :eyeroll:

?? 1) Ya, a great job, good common sense and logic, and a degree in Biopharmacaeutical Science/Genomics might qualify me as clever.

2) Not sure how you took that as me putting down comic shop owners and trying to teach them. It was my observation on outdated and ridiculous pricing.

3) And yes, if a comic shop owner is pricing his Uncanny X-Men #281 at $20 or over (raw copy), then he or she is either dumb, deluded, or grossly misinformed, and I, or most people on this board, could probably teach them a thing or two regarding current comic prices.

How would buying at cover been risky on Conan or Howard? Conan got expensive and stayed expensive. Howard has been up and down, but I think it never wasn't a $3-$5 book even if it was $25 at one point.

Dazzler 1 was in a lot of 50 cent boxes for a long time. You could have gotten burned on that one along with New Mutants 1, Rom 1, Alpha Flight 1 and a lot of #1 from the early 80s.

New Mutants never took off and only X-men collectors bought them the best I can remember, I traded one set of my Roms for a complete run of Defenders which I was thrilled with. The early X-men crossover was going for more than the rest of the set although 24 and 25 had Galactus which was a big deal back then. I think. You can still find Dazzler 1 cheap but the cover was definitely different than anything else out at the time.

is true

Does anyone think that when it comes to indie books, #1 is more important? When it comes to marvel and DC books first appearences are more important? I.E. New mutants #98 vs NM #1 , Xfactor 6, Xfactor 24 Vs Xfactor 1. Or maybe just for copper age? hmmm.

In this day and age, probably, as #1's get ~25-50% more printed than the subsequent issues.

Scenario:

Discuss.

You are on this site a lot and obviously wise as to what's up. There are guys running shops who never change anything. I was in a shop looking through new arrivals last week and saw Origin #1 for $50. Someone may buy it for that but not if they see the entire run of 1 through 6 for $20-$30 on ebay. I have seen boxes of wildcats 2 holo cover for $10 recently. It's a dollar book every day on ebay.

We have 3 very likable comic shop owners around here and they are all good enough to be in business 20 plus years. That doesn't mean they are current on what all of there stuff is worth. They have 1000s of comics that have been priced the same since the mid 90s. I hope they all do well because I like them and I love going to their shops. It's just an observation, not a slight. 2c

Si. That's exactly my point. Not necesarily dumb, but definitely not up on what prices should be for certain comics.

And the thing is, I don't know if they do this because they just don't check prices, or because they just refuse to budge on the profit that they could make.

Scenario:

Discuss.

I get it. But while you make your comments in a polite and respectful manner Dukes just seems to love dealer baiting. It was that which I was reacting to. (thumbs u

O, not at all. Sorry if it seems that way.

It was more a knock on people/delears who are stuck in the past. You'll see this a lot at flee markets and used book stores, but shops as well.

I DO not like scuzzy dealers for sure, though, and ones who won't budge on discounts for loyal/repeat customers/people who spend a lot at their store on a regular basis, dealers who jack up prices like mad on release day, etc.

But no, please don't take my comments that way. When I want to point someone out, they'll know it. :insane:

I sure do! :headbang:

TeamAmericafinalresults.jpg

I actually just got their creator J.M DeMatteis to autograph the book a couple weekends ago at Baltimore Con. He smiled as I approached, but when I pulled the book out, he practically had to choke back his laughter, "Team America?!" I'm sure it was a first for him. I explained that it was a sentimental favorite of my brother's and mine. He flipped through it, amused, before signing it. I would have stuck around longer, except there was a line in front of his table (for someone else) that was looking over my shoulder snickering. I don't care though. TEAM AMERICA, EFF YEAH!!!

That is so awesome !!! My brother, who happened to buy Hulk 181, Spider-man 129, Giant size X-men 1, x-men 94, Conan by BWS, and Miller's Daredevil almost never missed on picking THE next big thing but he was such an Evel Kneivel fan that he was near certain this was going to top them all. lol I can't wait to show him your pics. That is such a great story and it just made my day. My bro still has his original, pristine 5 copies he bought new. I didn't remember DeMatteis doing these. That's cool too

A lot of shop owner use Overstreet and by the time its printed it can be off on several books. I don't fault shops and friendly criticism can be helpful, but if its on the rude side I don't think it accomplishes anything.

..from 1993!!

(not a knock on dealers as a whole. MOST shops in Ottawa are fair, curteous, and sensible. There is that ONE store though...).

Scenario:

Discuss.

It was more a knock on people/delears who are stuck in the past. You'll see this a lot at flee markets and used book stores, but shops as well.

I DO not like scuzzy dealers for sure, though, and ones who won't budge on discounts for loyal/repeat customers/people who spend a lot at their store on a regular basis, dealers who jack up prices like mad on release day, etc.

But no, please don't take my comments that way. When I want to point someone out, they'll know it. :insane:

Yeah, I think you are both good guys. Sometimes things are interpreted different than how we mean it. Now back to our regularly scheduled program lol

A lot of shop owner use Overstreet and by the time its printed it can be off on several books. I don't fault shops and friendly criticism can be helpful, but if its on the rude side I don't think it accomplishes anything.

..from 1993!!

(not a knock on dealers as a whole. MOST shops in Ottawa are fair, curteous, and sensible. There is that ONE store though...).

Ummmmm why is there no Overstreet app?

Scenario:

Discuss.

Yeah, I think you are both good guys. Sometimes things are interpreted different than how we mean it. Now back to our regularly scheduled program lol

Thanks. I always live reading your posts and comments.

Ps. Is your profile pic dr. Nemesis from x-men???

. And ya, most are pretty good on here. Whizzer's comment kinda caught me out of of left field.

There is this one guy on hear though, every now and then he just pops up and takes jabs at me out of nowhere. Not sure why he has a grudge against me. And I never comment on his posts To begin with. Very strange.

I am always picking Dazzler 1's out of other dealer's bins for £1 and selling them immediately in the shop for £5 or £6. Great cover with a nostalgic attachment for many. Also minor historical importance as being a direct market test book.

Not a big money book, but an eay sell.

I got 50 of them :baiting:

Scenario:

Discuss.

Thanks. I always live reading your posts and comments.

Ps. Is your profile pic dr. Nemesis from x-men???

. And ya, most are pretty good on here. Whizzer's comment kinda caught me out of of left field.

There is this one guy on hear though, every now and then he just pops up and takes jabs at me out of nowhere. Not sure why he has a grudge against me. And I never comment on his posts To begin with. Very strange.

Thanks. My pic is Elijah Snow from Planetary. I love that book and his character in particular.

I don't know why someone would do that. Hopefully it stops. I've been on some boards where having an opinion can cause a problem but not so much here. I read this board forever before I actually started posting. There are many wise people here and they are almost always ahead of the curve.

this is true.

Does anyone think that when it comes to indie books, #1 is more important? When it comes to marvel and DC books first appearences are more important? I.E. New mutants #98 vs NM #1 , Xfactor 6, Xfactor 24 Vs Xfactor 1. Or maybe just for copper age? hmmm.

It's all about what the individual likes to collect. Publishers often pushed the so called collectible first issue to buyers but first appearances have proven to be where the money is at. If anything says " collectible first edition" on the cover then it's pretty much the opposite. If not for variants most first issues wouldn't be worth anything.

Edited by MrWeen