• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

I'm watching yesterday's episode of Comic Book Men. A few Preacher raw copies are sitting on the shelf. Someone drive to NJ quick.

That was filmed months ago.

I'm sure those guys caught on right away and jacked up the prices.

I don't know about months ago. EoW #7 was in the background. But also in the same episode the most annoying one didn't have his forearm tattoo that he got a few episodes ago.

lol @ the most annoying one. So true. I wonder if those guys are on this site.

I actually hope they are. Maybe it will make them understand just how lame that whole series is. I watched a few episodes from Season 1 and it was so bad I just quit watching it altogether. And I had high hopes for it too....

Honestly, the only reason I watch it is to see what comics and toys they bring in.

Walt and Bryan are just nerds who feel they have a bit of power because they pick on Ming, who is clearly the smarter, cooler, and nicer one of the bunch. And Mike has not said ANYTHING in this season.

I think it's funny, two, that people sell to them. It's TOTALLY just to get on TV. Why else would someone sell an item that they could get $100 on eBay or Kijiji for, for $35???

the show has an opportunity to expose a larger audience to comics an instead they have chumps on selling mr t sprinklers and dukes of hazard . oh well, at least they had scott snyder in studio.

Because we 'know' comics we can easily see how certain things are set up or even faked altogether on this show. We kind of understand that other reality show are set up to some extent but we notice it more on this one because we have more knowledge about the subject matter.

These types of shows are light entertainment at best and if CBM reflected comics retailing/collecting more accurately, we would like it but it would lose it's broader appeal to the non comics audience.

It is what it is.

About the show, are they not allowed to mentione CGC or something, or even grading for that matter???

Whenever they get a graded book, they NEVER EVER mention the actual number grade that it has, they just mention "in this condition" like it's a raw comic.

which episode had a graded book in ?

The one that springs to mind is the ep where our very own Baltimore Lauren took a slabbed early Archie book into the stash to sell. I'm sure there are other examples as well.

I have met all the guys. Walt is kind of pompous, Brian is a jerk. Mike is nice he took pictures for me. Ming is the coolest by far.

Haha. Ya, that sounds like the perfect breakdown of them! Well, from what I've seen on the show.

I'm watching yesterday's episode of Comic Book Men. A few Preacher raw copies are sitting on the shelf. Someone drive to NJ quick.

That was filmed months ago.

I'm sure those guys caught on right away and jacked up the prices.

I don't know about months ago. EoW #7 was in the background. But also in the same episode the most annoying one didn't have his forearm tattoo that he got a few episodes ago.

lol @ the most annoying one. So true. I wonder if those guys are on this site.

I actually hope they are. Maybe it will make them understand just how lame that whole series is. I watched a few episodes from Season 1 and it was so bad I just quit watching it altogether. And I had high hopes for it too....

Honestly, the only reason I watch it is to see what comics and toys they bring in.

Walt and Bryan are just nerds who feel they have a bit of power because they pick on Ming, who is clearly the smarter, cooler, and nicer one of the bunch. And Mike has not said ANYTHING in this season.

I think it's funny, two, that people sell to them. It's TOTALLY just to get on TV. Why else would someone sell an item that they could get $100 on eBay or Kijiji for, for $35???

the show has an opportunity to expose a larger audience to comics an instead they have chumps on selling mr t sprinklers and dukes of hazard . oh well, at least they had scott snyder in studio.

Because we 'know' comics we can easily see how certain things are set up or even faked altogether on this show. We kind of understand that other reality show are set up to some extent but we notice it more on this one because we have more knowledge about the subject matter.

These types of shows are light entertainment at best and if CBM reflected comics retailing/collecting more accurately, we would like it but it would lose it's broader appeal to the non comics audience.

It is what it is.

About the show, are they not allowed to mentione CGC or something, or even grading for that matter???

Whenever they get a graded book, they NEVER EVER mention the actual number grade that it has, they just mention "in this condition" like it's a raw comic.

which episode had a graded book in ?

Not sure. There have been a couple at least.

Rob Bruce sets up at local shows here, but always just brings junk to sell. I don't really think he's a celebrity, especially around NJ.

I've been to Secret Stash a few times (a few years ago and recently) and Mike is incredibly rude, and Walt looks like he hates working at the store. I'm guessing Ming works in the back, because I never see him there.

While we're on the topic, I was at a LCS sale this past Saturday, and the employee told me how the Secret Stash guys frantically called them the night prior to the sale asking when the store opened, and then came to the store at opening and cleaned them out. I don't know what they bought though.

:gossip:

It's because it's a SEEEE-CRET.

The shop is a joke honestly. I live about 15 minutes from there and refuse to shop with them. They are all @$$holes there to be honest. They always seem to have that chip on their shoulder and seem as though they are better than anyone else. End rant. Besides that, Red Bank(area), NJ is a fun place to hang out

The shop is a joke honestly. I live about 15 minutes from there and refuse to shop with them. They are all @$$holes there to be honest. They always seem to have that chip on their shoulder and seem as though they are better than anyone else. End rant. Besides that, Red Bank(area), NJ is a fun place to hang out

I find like half of the the comic guys/shop guys that I've been to seem to have that chip on their shoulder/air of superiority.

The other half is friendly and helpful.

I used to go to a shop that had that feeling to it. I swiftly switched to another shop that is run by two brothers and their all female staff. It is a REALLY awesome shop and everyone is super cool to hang and talk about your latest reads with. There is always two sides to it ^_^. Just hope that you even have the option of two different shops.

I find like half of the the comic guys/shop guys that I've been to seem to have that chip on their shoulder/air of superiority.

I agree! That's why when I opened my shop, we wanted it to def. have a different vibe. We have people that come and just hang and it's a very friendly feel. The shop isn't perfect but we feel by far that we are one of the more friendly and welcoming shops in the NJ area.

I went to a shop up here in canada, and I swear the guy couldn't get me out the door fast enough. 'your not going to find what you want here, everything is well picked through, your wasting your time and mine'.

I couldn't believe it....how do you get to the point where you turn away customers because you think they aren't going to buy anything?

On to sizzling comics,

Read both Letter 44 and Manifest Destiny two nights ago.

Letter 44 was pretty amazing. You could FEEL the tension/suspense as you read it.

Even for $1, the print run was still only 17,000. Glad I grabbed 10 copies of this one (didn't know it was $1 cover, so was PLEASANTLY surprised when I got my order).

Manifest was pretty awesome as well. Again, very tense/suspensfull story. Both of these, actually, felt like movies. Very cinematic.

Sucks I only grabbed one copy of this one.

I went to a shop up here in canada, and I swear the guy couldn't get me out the door fast enough. 'your not going to find what you want here, everything is well picked through, your wasting your time and mine'.

I couldn't believe it....how do you get to the point where you turn away customers because you think they aren't going to buy anything?

GEEZ. What city/store?

Damn. Maybe he was just anxious to go J a D???

On to sizzling comics,

Letter 44 was pretty amazing. You could FEEL the tension/suspense as you read it.

Even for $1, the print run was still only 17,000. Glad I grabbed 10 copies of this one (didn't know it was $1 cover, so was PLEASANTLY surprised when I got my order).

Manifest was pretty awesome as well. Again, very tense/suspensfull story. Both of these, actually, felt like movies. Very cinematic.

I agree I thought both books were the best first issues I have read in a long time. Very good point on Letter 44 I kept wondering what had attracted me so much to that book and I think your point hit the nail on the head.

After a lot of duds lately this two books were shining examples of moderns done right. Very little variants and a content driven story.

On to sizzling comics,

I agree I thought both books were the best first issues I have read in a long time. Very good point on Letter 44 I kept wondering what had attracted me so much to that book and I think your point hit the nail on the head.

After a lot of duds lately this two books were shining examples of moderns done right. Very little variants and a content driven story.

I just hope with Letter 44 that they have a good story planned out, that actually keeps you in suspense.

Another good one was Rocket Girl. GREAT 80's feel to it, and it's time travel, which I ALWAYS love. I would pick #2 up for the Title Graphic alone. The 20,000 print run of #1 was somewhat shocking. I didn't think it would be that big.

Edited by Dukes40

I agree! That's why when I opened my shop, we wanted it to def. have a different vibe. We have people that come and just hang and it's a very friendly feel. The shop isn't perfect but we feel by far that we are one of the more friendly and welcoming shops in the NJ area.

When I moved to the NJ Shore, I found it difficult to find a decent LCS. Right now I drive a little over half an hour to go to one that's not a total -hole.

I can get three of the four covers (no Betty) at an LCS nearby... they have stacks of them on the shelf. Are there second prints of any of these?

hm

-slym

Second print number one has a whole different cover. It's (jughead I think) 's hands.

I hope this is okay as I posted this in two threads...

2 relevant threads though...

http://graphicpolicy.com/2013/11/28/if-a-character-dies-and-nobody-notices-spoilers/

So now any thoughts on whether superman 25 will go up in value....It seems like most people didn't know about it. The people who did where Mehhh...

I wonder also now if superboy 17 will be hot...