• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

I have a Tec 27 Lee Variant that will be ending tonight. I don't plan on shilling it, so we shall see if this is truly a $100 book:p

My copy should not be hard to find, if you even care to look.

This makes it seem like something you do on occasion :facepalm:

I guess it could be interpreted that way, but I was trying to make a joke based on the couple of responses about the book earlier in the thread. In hind sight, I probably should have quoted the posts to provide context.

For the record, I do not shill at any time. Artificially inflating the value of a book is a waste of a good reputation that I work hard at attaining.

I got the joke others are just looking for a smoking gun.

I got almost all of the variants (multiple copies on most) for cover to $6 apiece from LCSs = full retail and have been selling the earlier ones for $10 - $20 apiece no problem. The more recent variants go for $6 - $10 on Ebay as well. (shrug)

Not the incentive variants.

You said variants, not incentive variants. If I recall correctly, some of them are 1:25 anyways - #3 and #9 come to mind.

The 1:200 B&W variants seem to be holding up well respective to the "full retail" I could get them for here locally. Not all stores gouge when they price things at "full retail".

Pretty clear I was talking about the incentive variants that get marked up differently depending where you buy them. The 1:25 variants are not doing well either. The higher end ones, the sketch variants, do particularly poorly long term.

These are books that you preorder or find for cheap upon release and flip. They aren't something you buy into after they are already out there with the idea that they will be selling for more money a week from now or two months from now.

Generally you are right. Every once in awhile you get a special one that keeps appreciating. Maybe a couple a year. Most of the time those depend on the cover more then the variant ratio.

Those GL variants are very tough to find, but they have collapsed in price. If I was a GL collector I would be jumping on them now.

I got almost all of the variants (multiple copies on most) for cover to $6 apiece from LCSs = full retail and have been selling the earlier ones for $10 - $20 apiece no problem. The more recent variants go for $6 - $10 on Ebay as well. (shrug)

Not the incentive variants.

You said variants, not incentive variants. If I recall correctly, some of them are 1:25 anyways - #3 and #9 come to mind.

The 1:200 B&W variants seem to be holding up well respective to the "full retail" I could get them for here locally. Not all stores gouge when they price things at "full retail".

Pretty clear I was talking about the incentive variants that get marked up differently depending where you buy them. The 1:25 variants are not doing well either. The higher end ones, the sketch variants, do particularly poorly long term.

These are books that you preorder or find for cheap upon release and flip. They aren't something you buy into after they are already out there with the idea that they will be selling for more money a week from now or two months from now.

Again, it depends on the"full retail" you are charged at the LCS.

My file LCS does not gouge file holders like the other LCSs do in town. They value the longterm business from their file customers more than the one time gouge and price the retailer incentives accordingly. For example, they moved the ASM #700 Ditko 1:700 to their largest file customer for $100, even though they knew it was going for more on eBay (I was second in line for that one if he passed on it :cry: ). Could they make more? Definitely. But keeping customers happy for their long term business is more important.

There are a couple of other LCSs in town that readily mark up incentives, but their full retail still leaves plenty of room for profit on eBay with variants. (thumbs u

I strongly feel like the Jim Lee variant will hold value of atleast $70.

You can pick it up for $30 - 40 so its a good buy ATM

You guys havn't really been talking about Black Widow. I had a customer looking for a Manara Variant and have been having a hell of a time tracking one down. So far of 7 stores I went to only 1 had ANY variants for black widow.

I picked up the Colour and Sketch version of the Campbell cover.

The shop owner kept the Manara cover for himself, which is the first time I've ever heard of him doing it. He showed me what it looked like though, and it's quite nice.

Does VICE still publish a magazine?

I thought they just moved forward to on online media service?

Still a great website giving Ms. Marvel coverage. That site gets a lot of traffic from 20 somethings.

Yes, I believe they still publish the physical mag.

I strongly feel like the Jim Lee variant will hold value of atleast $70.

You can pick it up for $30 - 40 so its a good buy ATM

You guys havn't really been talking about Black Widow. I had a customer looking for a Manara Variant and have been having a hell of a time tracking one down. So far of 7 stores I went to only 1 had ANY variants for black widow.

That is a tough variant. I like his art.

My file LCS does not gouge file holders like the other LCSs do in town. They value the longterm business from their file customers more than the one time gouge and price the retailer incentives accordingly. For example, they moved the ASM #700 Ditko 1:700 to their largest file customer for $100, even though they knew it was going for more on eBay (I was second in line for that one if he passed on it :cry: ). Could they make more? Definitely. But keeping customers happy for their long term business is more important.

There are a couple of other LCSs in town that readily mark up incentives, but their full retail still leaves plenty of room for profit on eBay with variants. (thumbs u

If your LCS doesn't price variants in regards to their respective ratios, then you will make money on them regardless. Having access to incentive variants at those prices puts you in a very small group. The vast majority of buyers cannot buy incentives at those prices, whether it's online or at their lcs, unless they preorder them. Preordering doesn't work when the book has already released.

Batman related incentives almost never maintain or exceed the initial prices that they are priced at, in an LCS or online retailer, or sell for initially on ebay. Midtown still has various Batman incentives priced at 150 dollars that don't even bring 60 dollars on the secondary market.

Your situation is atypical. It is an exception that most people here cannot take advantage of. If you don't get these on the cheap via preorder or when they first release then don't bother pursuing them with the idea that you will be able to resell them for profit.

I have a Tec 27 Lee Variant that will be ending tonight. I don't plan on shilling it, so we shall see if this is truly a $100 book:p

My copy should not be hard to find, if you even care to look.

This makes it seem like something you do on occasion :facepalm:

jennyforyoutoo?

If your LCS doesn't price variants in regards to their respective ratios, then you will make money on them regardless. Having access to incentive variants at those prices puts you in a very small group. The vast majority of buyers cannot buy incentives at those prices, whether it's online or at their lcs, unless they preorder them. Preordering doesn't work when the book has already released.

Batman related incentives almost never maintain or exceed the initial prices that they are priced at, in an LCS or online retailer, or sell for initially on ebay. Midtown still has various Batman incentives priced at 150 dollars that don't even bring 60 dollars on the secondary market.

Your situation is atypical. It is an exception that most people here cannot take advantage of. If you don't get these on the cheap via preorder or when they first release then don't bother pursuing them with the idea that you will be able to resell them for profit.

Can I pursue them if I just dig the covers and would like to have them in my collection for the next decade or so? :baiting:

-J.