• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

after getting a Fantastic Four book SS by Stan at WW Philly last year I can understand. Most of the people in line were gawking at me for having the book in a holder with a cut out window for sig placement. They all had random BA beaters in their hands. I guess they were either thinking "get rich quick" or just caught up in the general mania of Stan being there.

For how much it costs for his sig one should do some homework and not just grab any book - but not everyone is a forumite

These are the best people to have at cons. I sold a pile of low grade slow moving Marvel commons at the Calgary Expo form a new collection due to Stan Lee signing at the show. We were the first comic booth coming out of the Guests hall, so we put out Stan Lee drek piles and moved them fast. It was great. The smarter people asked which books would be best so I told them, but the others just grabbed fugly copies, handed me the money and ran. lol

I always wanted to get the 1975 "Super Stan" slurpee cup signed by him, that would be something different, and certain cups signed by certain artists

I got Stan to sign a Foom 17 a couple of years ago. I think it is the perfect thing for him to sign and it's probably the last thing that will ever leave my collection even if it isn't the most valuable.

Too bad it wasn't a Foom 2.

I looked on eBay and I can't believe the amount of Batman books he's signed.. And people are buying them! :facepalm:

Yeah...that just doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you have Stan Lee sign a DC book? Spend a buck and at least buy some kind of Marvel comic for him to sign.

I never did understand having someone sketch a Marvel character on a DC blank cover comic and vice-versa. I know some people think it's OK, but I could never do that myself and feel right about it.

after getting a Fantastic Four book SS by Stan at WW Philly last year I can understand. Most of the people in line were gawking at me for having the book in a holder with a cut out window for sig placement. They all had random BA beaters in their hands. I guess they were either thinking "get rich quick" or just caught up in the general mania of Stan being there.

For how much it costs for his sig one should do some homework and not just grab any book - but not everyone is a forumite

That said - a Batman book is inexcusable lol

Or the generally love comics and want the man that created them to sign a book they hold dear to their collection. Lets remember people still love their comics and creators and sometimes don't get them signed to flip.

I still have my X-men books signed by Marc Silverstri and Jim Lee. This was before CGC, but those guys were it for me as a teenager.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I always wanted to get the 1975 "Super Stan" slurpee cup signed by him, that would be something different, and certain cups signed by certain artists

I got Stan to sign a Foom 17 a couple of years ago. I think it is the perfect thing for him to sign and it's probably the last thing that will ever leave my collection even if it isn't the most valuable.

That's such a great cover!

Too bad it wasn't a Foom 2.

Wolveroonie! :ohnoez:

I know this is a rare thought on these boards, but the vast majority of comic book readers/collectors do not get books signed with the intent of earning a profit off of it. I would imagine some of those bronze age beaters could have been OO copies that were signed by Stan with the owner having zero intention of ever selling it.

I know when I was in line at Heroes two years ago to get Stan's sig the people around me had all kinds of stuff to get signed. It was pretty exciting seeing everything that people brought for Stan to sign. I remember an AF 15, FF 48, couple of omnibus, and a KISS marvel super special.

I know this is a rare thought on these boards, but the vast majority of comic book readers/collectors do not get books signed with the intent of earning a profit off of it. I would imagine some of those bronze age beaters could have been OO copies that were signed by Stan with the owner having zero intention of ever selling it.

I know when I was in line at Heroes two years ago to get Stan's sig the people around me had all kinds of stuff to get signed. It was pretty exciting seeing everything that people brought for Stan to sign. I remember an AF 15, FF 48, couple of omnibus, and a KISS marvel super special.

Tell that to the guy in front of me in line that had about 30 items to get signed :taptaptap:

I get what your saying though

Runaways #1 @ $55 and a ton of bids. I can't tell if it's one guy who hit the button 55 times or one guy who really, really wants this comic. lol

I don't trust this auction.

Why start the bidding at $55 when the comic usually sells in the $15-$20 range?

No grade assigned, pictures instead of scans, no BC picture, comic is in the bag the whole time, etc etc etc.

I can't say if the seller is questionable or the buyer is not informed, but this is an anomaly.

After seeing the Winter Soldier...I really hope Captain America v5 #1, #6 and the like spike higher than they are currently. Sebastian Shaw is AWESOME and this film poses some interesting directional changes of where the Marvel cinematic universe is heading. I offer some quick flips for the future.

Captain America (2004 5th Series) #25A

Captain America (2004 5th Series) #34A

Secret Avengers (2010 Marvel) 1st Series #1A