• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

wow...crazy and congrats. any precedent for this type of action on a book where there is no true reason for the rise in price? or is it just people seeing similar traits like harley (female villian, obscure start in cartoon type book) and they dont want to miss out?

I'm going with the latter but time will tell...

wow...crazy and congrats. any precedent for this type of action on a book where there is no true reason for the rise in price? or is it just people seeing similar traits like harley (female villian, obscure start in cartoon type book) and they dont want to miss out?

This

This

Its my understanding (and this is pure speculation) that there are only very cliche characters that woman are able to dress up as if they want to cosplay as a super-hero. Catwoman and supergirl are so passe. Harley Quinn and Live Wire? Hot like fire!

at least thats my understanding.

Wow, that is pricey. I kept passing them up when they first released, and then about 2 months ago, I kept passing up a 8.5ish copy at my LCS for $8. Guess I should have just popped on that one as now it is gonzo.

This

Its my understanding (and this is pure speculation) that there are only very cliche characters that woman are able to dress up as if they want to cosplay as a super-hero. Catwoman and supergirl are so passe. Harley Quinn and Live Wire? Hot like fire!

at least thats my understanding.

It's odd though, The AmeComi Duela Dent is a wildly popular character for cosplayers and her first appearance has shown no movement. Her figure on the other hand will set you back hundreds? Maybe it's the combination of of Livewire's Cosplay potential and intro in the new 52 that is sparking these crazy prices?

Edited by MrWeen

I'm sitting on a few copies of this comic. It is the first (and so far only) modern comic I speculated in. I bought my copies last year when I heard the announcement for the TV series for less than cover. I'm not sure what to do next though: send them to CGC for grading, put them up raw on eBay with a high BIN, etc. (shrug)

Do cosplayers really affect the back issue market for pricey books? I know several hardcore cosplayers who love the characters we've been discussing, but they buy TPBs and cheapies.

No, they don't. You have to remember that many are here to promote the current hot books they have and unload them at the highest price they can garner. This sounds like a really good reason for a book to be hot, so they'll use it to promote the book to squeeze even more money out of it.

And we are talking about what, less than 100 people in the world who dress up as one of these characters. Trust me, they don't impact the back issue market... But pumping the book on these boards does seem to have an impact on the prices.

Edited by rjrjr

I'm sitting on a few copies of this comic. It is the first (and so far only) modern comic I speculated in. I bought my copies last year when I heard the announcement for the TV series for less than cover. I'm not sure what to do next though: send them to CGC for grading, put them up raw on eBay with a high BIN, etc. (shrug)

Unless you REALLY feel strongly about a title and feel comfortable sitting on them, it's always better to hedge your bets and sell a few early and hold a few for later, IMO.

I would go so far as to say sell a few now, a few just before show release and hold a few in case tv show is a hit (again, imo)

And we are talking about what, less than 100 people in the world who dress up as one of these characters. Trust me, they don't impact the back issue market... But pumping the book on these boards does seem to have an impact on the prices.

I think you're vastly underestimating the number of cosplayers, especially women and the characters they portray. With that said though I do agree that I don't think they have a heavy impact on the backissue prices.

Unless you REALLY feel strongly about a title and feel comfortable sitting on them, it's always better to hedge your bets and sell a few early and hold a few for later, IMO.

I would go so far as to say sell a few now, a few just before show release and hold a few in case tv show is a hit (again, imo)

Go entirely on gut instinct.

It's what will separate you from the masses,

Do you like the book?

Do you like the creators?

Do you like the translation of the source material?

WHEN do YOU think it will peak?

Pull the trigger.

Sell.

NEVER look back.

Build your own skill set.

Do you like the book?

Pull the trigger.

Sell.

NEVER look back.

That's sound advice. Take it

Do you like the book?

Pull the trigger.

Sell.

NEVER look back.

That's sound advice. Take it

You could also wait until the sheep scream "Monies!"

( never wait for the sheep )

i'm still looking back at the boxes of MTG Alpha i sold for cheap.

Did you REALLY?

I've hear that so many times, it's urban legend.

My shop was desperately trying to buy Magic at the time.

It was a to get wholesale.

I got Legends wholesale.

NO regrets.

I think you're vastly underestimating the number of cosplayers, especially women and the characters they portray. With that said though I do agree that I don't think they have a heavy impact on the backissue prices.

I agree. Heck, I only attend the Montreal and Ottawa cons and I've already seen more than 50 different DEADPOOLs and HARLEY QUINNs during just 1 season...

Edited by voorhees

I don't really know the female demographic too well, but I have to ask, how many just dress up and how many really care about the characters they're dressing up as. And is it an effect of TV cartoon characters or the comic characters that affects this girls to want to dress up.