• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Spoiler tags for something years old :facepalm:

Great Googly Moogly.

No tags needed when its that old.

Are there official forum rules on spoilers I'm apparently not aware of? It's not like it's a difficult thing to do-- and again, not everyone's read the series. Just a courtesy.

the official rule is once something is a few years old, it does not need spoilers. and don't expect them.

That's a great piece there that hardly anyone kept I'm sure.

My biggest gripe with The Watchmen movie (there's many) was that The Comedian was never shown wearing his bondage mask; such a cool look

Minor complaints aside I thought it was an amazing film that hasn't received the praise it deserves.

Great Googly Moogly.

Are there official forum rules on spoilers I'm apparently not aware of? It's not like it's a difficult thing to do-- and again, not everyone's read the series. Just a courtesy.

the official rule is once something is a few years old, it does not need spoilers. and don't expect them.

Dan Patrick actually did an interview recently with a Hollywood Insider discussing the concept of spoilers, and the expiration date on spoilers, etc. The interviewee gave separate guidelines for regular episodes (2 to 3 days), and series finales (24 - 48 hours), and the specific example in question was Breaking Bad. So...yeah, at most three days for a TV show episode upon airing. I think it's safe to say that, in comparison, THREE YEARS is probably a safe window for a comic book.

It's not like it's a secret that Bernie dies in WD...and that just happened in the last issue!

Do we still need to put it in spoiler tags that Glenn died in Walking Dead...? That happened more recently than Sheriff Karnow's death in Scalped, and he's a much less important character to Scalped than Glenn was to WD.

My biggest gripe with The Watchmen movie (there's many) was that The Comedian was never shown wearing his bondage mask; such a cool look

Minor complaints aside I thought it was an amazing film that hasn't received the praise it deserves.

Minor complaints like the movie not making any sense because of the changes made?

Many scenes were very well done, but as a whole...

Great Googly Moogly.

Dan Patrick actually did an interview recently with a Hollywood Insider discussing the concept of spoilers, and the expiration date on spoilers, etc. The interviewee gave separate guidelines for regular episodes (2 to 3 days), and series finales (24 - 48 hours), and the specific example in question was Breaking Bad. So...yeah, at most three days for a TV show episode upon airing. I think it's safe to say that, in comparison, THREE YEARS is probably a safe window for a comic book.

It's not like it's a secret that Bernie dies in WD...and that just happened in the last issue!

Do we still need to put it in spoiler tags that Glenn died in Walking Dead...? That happened more recently than Sheriff Karnow's death in Scalped, and he's a much less important character to Scalped than Glenn was to WD.

For comics, it would be nice if people weren't randomly spouting off about things for people who read TPBs rather than single issues (it's not like that's rare).

I avoid the main Walking Dead thread because I know people will be talking about the most recent issues, but then still post about recent developments outside that thread.

But I think TPB releases are close to the expiration date. You can't get mad when somebody references ASM 121 in the Amazing Spider-Man 2 (movie) thread. :insane:

Great Googly Moogly.

For comics, it would be nice if people weren't randomly spouting off about things for people who read TPBs rather than single issues (it's not like that's rare).

I avoid the main Walking Dead thread because I know people will be talking about the most recent issues, but then still post about recent developments outside that thread.

But I think TPB releases are close to the expiration date. You can't get mad when somebody references ASM 121 in the Amazing Spider-Man 2 (movie) thread. :insane:

Wait a second....!!! Are you saying that Gwen Stacy DIES....!?!

I guess the Gwen Stacy clone makes a lot more sense now...

I wonder if certain folks here will be hammering future WD ebay listings hyping up "X" character as being on the TV show, when they're not. More likely scenario when the TV version of whoever doesn't resemble the comic version at all.

Having said that, I'd rather have Scalped 43's over Sixth Gun, Nowhere Men, Black Beetle and the other flash in the pans / money down the toilet over the last couple years.

There is still plenty of time for Scalped to be flash in the pan as well. How many options have actually become real tv shows? 2-3? out of 40?

I have now tried to read issue 1 of Scalped about 4 times. I can't get through it...I wouldn't bet a cent on Scalped #anything but that's just me...

The 1st five issues are definitely the least interesting and are set-up. But critical to the story later on. For me, it's in my all-time top 10 favorite books.

I was pretty pleased to meet Aaron as he wrapped up the series.

One of my favorite issues is #35. Felt the same way as when I read Sandman #9.

Patrick

I wonder if certain folks here will be hammering future WD ebay listings hyping up "X" character as being on the TV show, when they're not. More likely scenario when the TV version of whoever doesn't resemble the comic version at all.

Having said that, I'd rather have Scalped 43's over Sixth Gun, Nowhere Men, Black Beetle and the other flash in the pans / money down the toilet over the last couple years.

There is still plenty of time for Scalped to be flash in the pan as well. How many options have actually become real tv shows? 2-3? out of 40?

I have now tried to read issue 1 of Scalped about 4 times. I can't get through it...I wouldn't bet a cent on Scalped #anything but that's just me...

The 1st five issues are definitely the least interesting and are set-up. But critical to the story later on. For me, it's in my all-time top 10 favorite books.

I was pretty pleased to meet Aaron as he wrapped up the series.

One of my favorite issues is #35. Felt the same way as when I read Sandman #9.

Patrick

Issue 30 is hands down my favorite. Scalped is a slow burn but worth the perseverance. Top 5 runs ever in my opinion.

Great Googly Moogly.

Ah-- got it. Well, I say this as a new comic reader that this rule is bull sh it. There are a ton of stories (recent stories; I'm not talking ASM 21), that are still new and exciting and fun to stumble upon that are slightly drained of their surprise factor due to folks not using tags.

I know time passes and stories get old, but I would've never thought that I'd find out about a character death from a book that's nearly a eight-years-old in a thread about moderns that are heating up currently. That to me more than anything is why I thought the spoiler was needed.

If you are concerned about spoilers in comic books from 7 years ago, it seems your time might be better spent catching up on back issues than being on a site discussing comic books. :baiting::grin:

Minor complaints like the movie not making any sense because of the changes made?

Many scenes were very well done, but as a whole...

I'm not going to get into a Watchmen comic versus film argument in this thread but I will say that those of us who enjoy the Watchmen should be happy we were given this film. It's not perfect but thoroughly enjoyable. I do agree with you about the bondage mask though.

Let's kill this stupid 1st appearance/prototype talk - Scalped 16 is the first appearance of Wooster Karnow, drawn by R.M. Guera. He looks exactly the same in that issue as he does in 43.

How is 43 the first appearance of a 'prototype' character, when he appears 27 issues earlier? Latour isn't even co-creator of the character - that'd be Guera.

43 is significant to Latour and Aaron because it's the first time they worked together. That page is probably called out because it's the first time Latour showed his amazing ability to draw old white dudes.

Stop BS'ing to protect your $1 box investments - this book is nothing. Read Scalped instead of people's biased opinions.

Because that was the first time Latour drew him. What if you interpreted "prototype" as "inspiration", does that help?

Just. Stop.

Sorry, forgot this was the internet. No room for logic.

ASM 471 has been mentioned as a potential book to watch in this thread before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301204284728

Obviously not a trend yet, but that is a new high for the book and it was only listed for a few days. Relatively low number of copies listed for a modern ASM book at the moment.

I've been buying these. I didn't realize it was #471 I always thought of it as vol2 #30. That JSC and JMS run was pretty spectacular...I mean Amazing lol

I used to get very good money for issues #30 through #36 and I love going back years later and finding this stuff cheaper. (thumbs u

My spoiler comment was a joke; I hope people aren't getting riled up b/c of it.

Plus, it's been "proven" that spoiling things doesn't actually matter in regards to enjoyment:

http://www.wired.com/2011/08/spoilers-dont-spoil-anything/

While the study's conclusions may be accurate, there's something about not knowing how a story ends that mirrors our own lives and that is worth experiencing in and of itself. We don't know when we or loved ones will die or even how-it could be today or in 50 years, peacefully or in some horrible tragedy. I think that's why stories like Walking Dead and Game of Thornes have become popular, our protagonists are mortal now and can be killed off at any time.

Let's kill this stupid 1st appearance/prototype talk - Scalped 16 is the first appearance of Wooster Karnow, drawn by R.M. Guera. He looks exactly the same in that issue as he does in 43.

How is 43 the first appearance of a 'prototype' character, when he appears 27 issues earlier? Latour isn't even co-creator of the character - that'd be Guera.

43 is significant to Latour and Aaron because it's the first time they worked together. That page is probably called out because it's the first time Latour showed his amazing ability to draw old white dudes.

Stop BS'ing to protect your $1 box investments - this book is nothing. Read Scalped instead of people's biased opinions.

Because that was the first time Latour drew him. What if you interpreted "prototype" as "inspiration", does that help?

Just. Stop.

Prototype means a very specific thing in this hobby and it's very different than "inspiration." No comic has ever been broken out as a key because of "inspiration" which is clearly a vague and nebulous thing, since we're still discussing this.

Does logic dictate that this issue should be worth 10x cover because it's the first time an artist drew a very generic character that looked like another generic character he'd later draw in a book worth 1.5x cover price? If you answer yes, then may god have mercy on your soul.

Just. Stop.

Prototype means a very specific thing in this hobby and it's very different than "inspiration." No comic has ever been broken out as a key because of "inspiration" which is clearly a vague and nebulous thing, since we're still discussing this.

Does logic dictate that this issue should be worth 10x cover because it's the first time an artist drew a very generic character that looked like another generic character he'd later draw in a book worth 1.5x cover price? If you answer yes, then may god have mercy on your soul.

I read that last bit like it was said in Billy Madison.