• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Sounds like a helluva lot of work to earn a few bucks. Aside from books that sell for any kind of real money (e.g. The Strain), speculating in recent moderns seems like a collosal waste of time, even if IRR is respectable.

Yea, a lot of work, like you would have to own a comic shop or something, huh?

If you own a shop and have time to kill, then you might as well (if it's time that isn't being put into the business). For the majority of people that don't own a shop, here's the thing...

If you enjoy what you do, it's a hobby, and it's not taking away from other commitments (that and you have little other interests to replace this with), then by all means. However, everybody should factor your time; I expect to get paid for sacrificing the things I enjoy away from work.

Two other points: 1) You need to look at professional development (for me pursuing industry designations is very important to my career lattice), and this can be anything that provides value to your career (either technical or social).

2) You need to consider all alternatives in doing anything that's 'profit-driven'. I've had a number of investment articles syndicated, some that I threw together in a few hours that I generated between $50-100, some I spent the better part of a week on where I was paid $150 and $500. The latter was produced for discourse among industry professionals, and the reward of seeing my concepts put to light.

The point is, there's lots of ways to make money (really a mess-ton), and before you take on the hassle of trying to grind out a few bucks here and there speculating on books before they hit the stands, ask yourself, is there something better you could be doing with your time?

I think you deserve a punch in the nutz just for using the term; 'career lattice.'

:jokealert:

You're welcome to try, you probably won't like how it ends.

If you enjoy what you do, it's a hobby

I think this is the motivation for most flippers/resellers - its a hobby within the hobby. Some people like the research, chase and thrill of selling as much as they like the research, chase and thrill of collecting.

Books with established sales, isn't the same at all of speculating on books yet to (or just have) hit the stands.

Sounds like a helluva lot of work to earn a few bucks. Aside from books that sell for any kind of real money (e.g. The Strain), speculating in recent moderns seems like a collosal waste of time, even if IRR is respectable.

If you own a shop and have time to kill, then you might as well (if it's time that isn't being put into the business). For the majority of people that don't own a shop, here's the thing...

If you enjoy what you do, it's a hobby, and it's not taking away from other commitments (that and you have little other interests to replace this with), then by all means. However, everybody should factor your time; I expect to get paid for sacrificing the things I enjoy away from work.

Two other points: 1) You need to look at professional development (for me pursuing industry designations is very important to my career lattice), and this can be anything that provides value to your career (either technical or social).

2) You need to consider all alternatives in doing anything that's 'profit-driven'. I've had a number of investment articles syndicated, some that I threw together in a few hours that I generated between $50-100, some I spent the better part of a week on where I was paid $150 and $500. The latter was produced for discourse among industry professionals, and the reward of seeing my concepts put to light.

The point is, there's lots of ways to make money (really a mess-ton), and before you take on the hassle of trying to grind out a few bucks here and there speculating on books before they hit the stands, ask yourself, is there something better you could be doing with your time?

I think you deserve a punch in the nutz just for using the term; 'career lattice.'

Internet tough guys don't use terms like 'career lattice'. :grin:

If you enjoy what you do, it's a hobby

I think this is the motivation for most flippers/resellers - its a hobby within the hobby. Some people like the research, chase and thrill of selling as much as they like the research, chase and thrill of collecting.

Books with established sales, isn't the same at all of speculating on books yet to (or just have) hit the stands.

Pretty sure most here do both.

I wonder how many got graded at Philly.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the or one of the top subbed books.

Between that and RQs #1

I think I grabbed all the copies of RQ on Thursday. I found a bunch in a box that was 6/$10. The only ones I passed up were from this one guy who's copies were black with dirt asking $10 each. He was also asking $20-30 for Southern Bastards #1 because he said any modern that goes to 2nd printing is automatically worth $20.

Edited by Taco

He was also asking $20-30 for Southern Bastards #1 because he said any modern that goes to 2nd printing is automatically worth $20.

:facepalm:

Some shops around me still have 1st prints on the stands for cover.

I bought 15+ VF copies of The Strain (Vol 1) #3 out of a 25¢ bin on the sidewalk today. Guy working the counter inside told me he couldn't sell me some of the books I found because they had (ancient) price tags on them, therefore someone had made a mistake putting them in the 25¢ bin; took away my "$6" Glamourpuss's :(

He was also asking $20-30 for Southern Bastards #1 because he said any modern that goes to 2nd printing is automatically worth $20.

:facepalm:

Some shops around me still have 1st prints on the stands for cover.

Couple of mine as well.

Internet tough guys don't use terms like 'career lattice'. :grin:

But they would be willing to punch another guy in the balls....them and 13 yr. olds.

Edited by spreads