• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,830 posts in this topic

Whoa...wait....Ice Man is gay?

Im out of touch here...

I always thought there was something between SA torch and Spidey...

Wow,ive got to catch up....

Is this very recent?

Peter Parker has been gay since Day 1. lol

Apparently Iceman will come out of the closet, or be dragged out by Jean Grey in All-New X-Men #40.

http://io9.com/one-of-the-original-x-men-has-come-out-as-gay-1699181445?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

This is why I get less Marvel books and soon will not be picking up any new issues. Diversity for the sake of diversity for the sake of saying hey look we are all championing diversity is incredibly fake. WTG Marvel. (shrug)

So the lack of diversity for forty-plus years was what, real?

I think he's saying they're forcing it, rather than doing what Archie Comics did, which was to introduce a gay character.

That’s what natevegas meant – and aside from this this is offensive regardless.

Also, if you introduce a character supporting a highly controversial topic, an ideologic stance, you have to be a really good writer to do so – political correctness is not just offensive, it also brings an element of unlikeliness to the narration. Really poor writing.

Political correctness literally means not giving offense. And Bobby isn't "supporting a...topic" whatever that means. His EXISTENCE as a gay person is reflecting the REALITY (not "unlikeliness") that, um, some people are gay. If you can accept the unlikeliness of a dude turning to ice, with a little work you can probably accept the unlikeliness of a dude turning to other dudes.

First gay appearance? This may be the dumbest discussion I've ever seen on here and that's saying a lot.

+1,000,000

I've heard dumber

I wish All New X-Men #1 would get 2x cover.....Hey, that's the 1st appearance of secretly gay Bobby..... hm

Not counting all that last 50 years of x-men junk, assuming it's a different timeline.

Applying your logic from GI Joe and the death of Snake Eyes here, wouldn't the X-Men book read cameo of full gay Iceman (Bobby Drake) with the first full appearance being reserved for whenever he is shown kissing another man for the first time?

:signfunny:

His EXISTENCE as a gay person is reflecting the REALITY (not "unlikeliness") that, um, some people are gay. If you can accept the unlikeliness of a dude turning to ice, with a little work you can probably accept the unlikeliness of a dude turning to other dudes.

The talking point is the fact this character has been well established for 50+ years. As vaillant said, it's poor storytelling. Develop a new character.

I can see how the whole gay thing will affect ebay if all of a sudden there will be a bunch of characters coming out:

1st appearance of alex summers optioned to being gay in upcoming series

cameo app of Jim Gordon locking lips with nightwing - HOT!

1st app of Captain Carrot - latest to come out - caught making out with the entire zoo crew!

His EXISTENCE as a gay person is reflecting the REALITY (not "unlikeliness") that, um, some people are gay. If you can accept the unlikeliness of a dude turning to ice, with a little work you can probably accept the unlikeliness of a dude turning to other dudes.

The talking point is the fact this character has been well established for 50+ years. As vaillant said, it's poor storytelling. Develop a new character.

for those who haven't read it. Its not the Iceman you grew up with who is being outted.

Its the teenage Iceman who time-traveled to the present day from his teenage past. I don't think its so unreasonable to think that there were many teenagers in the 60's who if they were teens today would be more likely to accept themselves as gay and live gay lives, but because of tradition and societal pressures of the 60's did not do so.

I know that there's nature vs nurture blah blah blah, I'm just saying that the scenario is not so unreasonable, and is not necessarily a bad storyline based on just what we know so far. That doesn't mean it will be a great story, just that its not automatically horrible.

I think it actually would be interesting to examine how a gay teen from the 60's would view the present day, and also how the REAL (as far as we know non-gay) ICEMAN (the one everyone is so mad about without knowing having read xmen in 10+ years) would respond to knowing his younger self came-out. Now, they still might botch it, and it might be trite or dumb, or self-serving, but if you're automatically dismissive of it, you might consider digging a little deeper as to why that is.

Whoa...wait....Ice Man is gay?

Im out of touch here...

I always thought there was something between SA torch and Spidey...

Wow,ive got to catch up....

Is this very recent?

Peter Parker has been gay since Day 1. lol

And there was that time Bobby and Jonny got together in Strange Tales 120....

Well, the X-Men will soon be in their own segregated universe, so it is all for naught.

I won't be buying any Marvels anyways.

So frustrating.

And now I won't have Bat-books with Batman in them. See ya Big 2...

Hard to say isn't it? I feel your pain.

for those who haven't read it. Its not the Iceman you grew up with who is being outted.

Its the teenage Iceman who time-traveled to the present day from his teenage past. I don't think its so unreasonable to think that there were many teenagers in the 60's who if they were teens today would be more likely to accept themselves as gay and live gay lives, but because of tradition and societal pressures of the 60's did not do so.

I know that there's nature vs nurture blah blah blah, I'm just saying that the scenario is not so unreasonable, and is not necessarily a bad storyline based on just what we know so far. That doesn't mean it will be a great story, just that its not automatically horrible.

I think it actually would be interesting to examine how a gay teen from the 60's would view the present day, and also how the REAL (as far as we know non-gay) ICEMAN (the one everyone is so mad about without knowing having read xmen in 10+ years) would respond to knowing his younger self came-out. Now, they still might botch it, and it might be trite or dumb, or self-serving, but if you're automatically dismissive of it, you might consider digging a little deeper as to why that is.

Why didn't Jean catch this from the beginning...?

Nevermind. I don't care, lol .