• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Is there a reason why this book shot up this much? Apologies if it was already covered:

All-New X-Men #25 variant

100% cover driven

Actually, someone on google+ ordered one for $50.00, and when it arrived he almost tore the cover off taking out the book, and shared his self destroyed copy, creating a run up on the book that is slightly genuine, only because 1 copy is now........un-9.8'able.

It's still stupid no matter how they retcon it and Web #18 will never catch on as a desired key. Yes, I'm saying "never."

Except that it already has.

If you want to argue that it will never be bigger than ASM 300, that's different. I don't know who would argue against that.

Yeah... I still don't see it happening

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=web%20of%20spider-man%2018%20venom&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

It's still stupid no matter how they retcon it and Web #18 will never catch on as a desired key. Yes, I'm saying "never."

If you want to argue that it will never be bigger than ASM 300, that's different. I don't know who would argue against that.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=web%20of%20spider-man%2018%20venom&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Go try to sell a Web 17 for $20 $10 $5 $2. (shrug)

Its just not that far of a stretch from MOS 17 to Web 18. Its just not for me. I can understand other taking the other side, but when you read Web 18 and then they introduce Venom(Later) how many of you didn't go back and look at Web 18.

Why? Everyone knows the answer even haters. I get the disagreement there just isn't enough evidence for me to come over to that side. I have enjoyed the back and forth.

Again the big difference is in MOS 17, there's really no arguing that those were not Doomsday fists. However, in Web 18, those hands are just too ordinary looking and there's no other supporting evidence that they belong to Eddie Brock / Venom. I know what you mean that it would make sense that they should belong to Venom, but what's stopping a writer from making a new villain tomorrow that knows Spider-Man's secret identity and can evade his spider sense? If that writer decides to reference back to Web 18 stating that this character has always been stalking or trying to kill him, that will throw a wrench to all the folks that bought the book thinking it was Venom. I'm not saying its not Eddie's Brocks hands nor can anyone officially say it belongs to him. It's just too vague to be considered a key.

Not even Marvel?

VenomProof.jpg

Well....technically, they forgot his appearance in #298, but hey...

That's more of a 1st app than Web 18.

It's the equivalent of MOS 17. It's Venom. It's intended (by the writer & artist) to be Venom.

Web 18 is a ret-con, and a lame one at that. Something to push a worthless book from a worthless title to some level of collectability.

Sorry, but getting $10-$15 for a 30 year old book really isn't worth my time and that price doesn't constitute a key in my eyes. When I was hoarding every Venom appearance in the late 1980's, Web 18 didn't even make a blip on the radar. Not among other collectors, speculators, Wizard, Comic Values Monthly or any source of info that we had in the pre-internet days.

If you have slabbed 9.8's and can flip 'em, good for you. I'd rather spend the grading fee money on a sure thing

Its just not that far of a stretch from MOS 17 to Web 18. Its just not for me. I can understand other taking the other side, but when you read Web 18 and then they introduce Venom(Later) how many of you didn't go back and look at Web 18.

Why? Everyone knows the answer even haters. I get the disagreement there just isn't enough evidence for me to come over to that side. I have enjoyed the back and forth.

Again the big difference is in MOS 17, there's really no arguing that those were not Doomsday fists. However, in Web 18, those hands are just too ordinary looking and there's no other supporting evidence that they belong to Eddie Brock / Venom. I know what you mean that it would make sense that they should belong to Venom, but what's stopping a writer from making a new villain tomorrow that knows Spider-Man's secret identity and can evade his spider sense? If that writer decides to reference back to Web 18 stating that this character has always been stalking or trying to kill him, that will throw a wrench to all the folks that bought the book thinking it was Venom. I'm not saying its not Eddie's Brocks hands nor can anyone officially say it belongs to him. It's just too vague to be considered a key.

Not even Marvel?

VenomProof.jpg

It's the equivalent of MOS 17. It's Venom. It's intended (by the writer & artist) to be Venom.

Web 18 is a ret-con, and a lame one at that. Something to push a worthless book from a worthless title to some level of collectability.

Again do we know this is a retcon? If it is I'm with you but If it's not and it was intended ( didn't Marvel do the same thing with Ben Reilly years later? ) then I don't see how it's not a key book.

It's WOS 18, and you have to do it This Way! :grin:

Not even Marvel?

VenomProof.jpg

Why do people love misusing the term "retcon" so much?

Eddie Brock being in the church in Web 1 is a retcon. Eddie Brock covering the Sin-Eater storyline from Spectacular 107-110 as a reporter is a retcon. Web 18 is part of a slow linear progression.

I agree. Just look up Micheline on several sources. Several sources state he started Venom in Web and picked him up in ASM.

I don't have any Web 18s, so I have no vested interest. I just think the book is undervalued for what it offered when comparing it to books like MoS 17.

I understand 17 should demand more as a cameo, but one cant deny what Web 18 was intended to start.

Not even Marvel?

VenomProof.jpg

Again do we know this is a retcon? If it is I'm with you but If it's not and it was intended ( didn't Marvel do the same thing with Ben Reilly years later? ) then I don't see how it's not a key book.

No way to really know, apart from asking Michelinie or Shooter (or whomever the Web writer was at the time).

However, in the flagship ASM title (you know, where Venom was truly introduced), they never refer back to either event (the subway or the ankle grab) and they never refer back to either Web issue with the "as seen in Web #18!" asterisk.

I would think that, if it was always planned to be Venom, they would've employed one (or both) of those. Especially since Peter/Spidey does realize that venom doesn't set off Spider-Sense. And Brock/Venom never says anything along the (corny villain) lines of "I've pushed you into an oncoming train and you managed to escape. I threw you off a building and you survived. This time, you won't be so lucky!!"

More than likely it was, as someone else suggested, the Web writer thinking "I'm gong to create a new menace for Spidey. Not sure what it is yet, but let me lay the foundation for something".

No way to really know, apart from asking Michelinie or Shooter (or whomever the Web writer was at the time).

However, in the flagship ASM title (you know, where Venom was truly introduced), they never refer back to either event (the subway or the ankle grab) and they never refer back to either Web issue with the "as seen in Web #18!" asterisk.

Michelinie was the writer for Web 18 and ASM 298-300 and you're right, it would have made sense in any of those issues to have a "*See Web 18 triumphant true believers!" blurb

Though I'm not fond of the cameo junk, Web 18 seems to be growing in interest slowly. With the way things go today, just talking about (even negatively) results in interest and may push for it being a semi-key. Can't hurt to pick it up for cheap and dump if nothing happens later down the line.

Patrick