• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

You know that the best deals are scooped up BEFORE a show opens to the public, right? ;)

+100!

Got in early for the Thursday ECCC, 1 hour and $175 bucks later and it was variant haul heaven. Best "50% off variant" boxes I have ever seen, and a batman 635 for $3 iced the cake.

9AF95C6A-48B9-4783-A8CD-E22B765A187D_zps3yn6ftzs.jpg

638E0923-C62B-4DF9-86C5-4AEEF05E47A9_zps6kkdkk5z.jpg

75A4641F-9426-4C61-8183-B7B3C7B976B3_zps4t2uq3mu.jpg

16EEA7F7-5C5A-4948-84F3-6059DD9BE27E_zpsr4bb7iaj.jpg

5C521678-9801-4C72-8C9B-6D66CED2E3BF_zpsvzqgm61o.jpg

B3B208CD-083D-47B1-8159-2932ED5051A0_zpsr34wdxvt.jpg

Cheers!

I want that Batman 21 Jock and Granov Wolverine :D

I'm all about back door references, fella.

I'll give your rear a playful little slap at a show, just dare me, handsome.....you know that you secretly yearn to feel the stern smack of my manly hands upon your body :baiting:

Seriously, The dude hooked me up, with a tip...

:o

You know that the best deals are scooped up BEFORE a show opens to the public, right? ;)

Otherwise known as why it isn't worth going to most of them these days.

Nope, for the most part, shows have ALWAYS been like this.

Last year at Baltimore, mid afternoon on Saturday, AFTER I dropped off a stack of books to CGC for onsite grading......I found a coverless Wonder Woman # 105 in a dealer's $2 boxes, under his table.

The book was filed correctly, with a comic divider labeled "Wonder Woman".

... please stop by my booth and I shall present you with an *ICE COLD PINT OF GUINNESS DRAUGHT*

You sure know how to bribe an Irishman ;)

I thought the Irish drank it warm :baiting:

Old wives tale... the colder the better. Check my location!

Last year at Baltimore, mid afternoon on Saturday, AFTER I dropped off a stack of books to CGC for onsite grading......I found a coverless Wonder Woman # 105 in a dealer's $2 boxes, under his table.

How long have so many had access to early entry? Maybe my memory is just bad and you're right that it's always been this bad, but that isn't my recollection - dealers have always bought and sold among themselves but it seems like there's a whole other level now. Though I must admit, the other reasons I don't like to go anymore is that prices have skyrocketed and many dealers seem to want to get eBay prices in their stores or at cons. YMMV of course, I only go to smaller cons these days and I don't go to anywhere near as many as it sounds like you do.

How long have so many had access to early entry? Maybe my memory is just bad and you're right that it's always been this bad, but that isn't my recollection - dealers have always bought and sold among themselves but it seems like there's a whole other level now. Though I must admit, the other reasons I don't like to go anymore is that prices have skyrocketed and many dealers seem to want to get eBay prices in their stores or at cons. YMMV of course, I only go to smaller cons these days and I don't go to anywhere near as many as it sounds like you do.

A lot of BS being thrown around here. You can find deals on the 1st day easy. No one ever gets time to look everywhere. Some dealers set up later and occasionally some wait till Sat.

Last year I found a $2k book for $14.00 This was on a Saturday of a 3 day show. The arrogance to say there is nothing at a show after missing an early entrance on Friday is ridiculous.

Does it help to get in early sure it does? Will you lose out on some books? Yes you will. At a large show you will find plenty of books that were overlooked or like I stated earlier there just isn't enough time to be everywhere.

Smaller shows are the best to go to, but its a double edge sword. If there aren't enough dealers then is it worth the time? I miss the old days when you just walked in and bought books usually in a hotel convention room. It was much more fun and we had a lot less :censored: bags in the hobby.

Edited by Fastballspecial

There are two types of books at shows I look for

The ones everyone else is looking for and the ones I know I can make money that no one looks at

Plenty of books are available after the door opens

I look for the desperate dealers at the end of the last day, and toss out cash money lowballs left and right.

Do you want to carry these two slabs back in a box and hope they sell next time? I'm pretty sure your cost into them is 50-$60. You're selling them for $130 total. I'll give you $70 (I'm already holding my cash out in front of their face). This works best for people who have just a few slabs, not boxes and boxes full.

These five raw keys you have on the wall for $550 total? I'll give you $300 cash (make sure you lay out the $300 down right in front of them, preferably in a neat orderly fan of $20's or $50's make sure the they are crisp new bills.

Then when they agree to that. Oh that other key you have up for $50-$60, can you throw that in for another $20? I just bought 5 keys from you (Extend the money toward them already, its the natural inclination of people to accept the money).

My problem is I'm so centrally focused on ASM that I never know what might be a good buy. lol

pre Bagley or post?

I mainly collect SA Spidey. I read/keep the modern monthlies, though.

But I do still wish I had my ASM #361 :sorry: .

A lot of BS being thrown around here. You can find deals on the 1st day easy. No one ever gets time to look everywhere. Some dealers set up later and occasionally some wait till Sat.

Last year I found a $2k book for $14.00 This was on a Saturday of a 3 day show. The arrogance to say there is nothing at a show after missing an early entrance on Friday is ridiculous.

Does it help to get in early sure it does? Will you lose out on some books? Yes you will. At a large show you will find plenty of books that were overlooked or like I stated earlier there just isn't enough time to be everywhere.

Smaller shows are the best to go to, but its a double edge sword. If there aren't enough dealers then is it worth the time? I miss the old days when you just walked in and bought books usually in a hotel convention room. It was much more fun and we had a lot less :censored: bags in the hobby.

I had to double check to make sure you were actually responding to me, what with all of that stuff in there that has nothing to do with anything I said lol

I do, generally, dislike the current con atmospheres. I do feel like a small army of people buy their way in early these days, but I did earlier admit that may just be my own confirmation bias. Maybe I'm just more aware of what's going on in the hobby now a days?

Still, my feeling is that things have grown worse over the last decade. Again, in my opinion - that thing you seem to call BS - that is what I see. To each their own, I certainly think you're entitled to your opinion, at least until a scientific study is done and we can take opinions off of the table.

You can certainly still find books at cons, but it just doesn't seem as fun to me as it once was - I'm not one of those guys that hates the cosplayers, I'm happy that people can find hobbies they enjoy, but it has taken a focus off of the books. Just like the movies have... as much as I enjoy sitting down and watching those. Anyway, the state of affairs I find myself in now... I buy almost all of my books online. It's way less hassle, and as a bonus I don't have to listen to an online vendor's sales pitch describing why this VF+ presents nicely enough for a 10% price bump.

I agree with your last paragraph entirely though, spot on. I do still attend a few of those every year, but... I think those are on the decline as well.

I had to double check to make sure you were actually responding to me, what with all of that stuff in there that has nothing to do with anything I said lol

I do, generally, dislike the current con atmospheres. I do feel like a small army of people buy their way in early these days, but I did earlier admit that may just be my own confirmation bias. Maybe I'm just more aware of what's going on in the hobby now a days?

Still, my feeling is that things have grown worse over the last decade. Again, in my opinion - that thing you seem to call BS - that is what I see. To each their own, I certainly think you're entitled to your opinion, at least until a scientific study is done and we can take opinions off of the table.

You can certainly still find books at cons, but it just doesn't seem as fun to me as it once was - I'm not one of those guys that hates the cosplayers, I'm happy that people can find hobbies they enjoy, but it has taken a focus off of the books. Just like the movies have... as much as I enjoy sitting down and watching those. Anyway, the state of affairs I find myself in now... I buy almost all of my books online. It's way less hassle, and as a bonus I don't have to listen to an online vendor's sales pitch describing why this VF+ presents nicely enough for a 10% price bump.

I agree with your last paragraph entirely though, spot on. I do still attend a few of those every year, but... I think those are on the decline as well.

I probably shouldn't have quoted your post because it wasn't aimed at u it just was the right type of prompt. My apologies if it sounded like that. :foryou:

I completely understand I am in the same boat. It was a lot more fun when the hobby was smaller. Those early Wizard shows were an all day buffet of comics.

Our hobby is changing for the better or the worse for now. I think it will return to normal in a few years when the movies die down and Hollywood cant make tons of money anymore.

Im fine cosplayers in general. I can see how dealers hate them because they don't buy much, but conventions have to cater to them to get the attendance.

I am truly fascinated by some who have the talent and the drive to create such wonderful costumes.

There are two types of books at shows I look for

The ones everyone else is looking for and the ones I know I can make money that no one looks at

Plenty of books are available after the door opens

I look for the desperate dealers at the end of the last day, and toss out cash money lowballs left and right.

Do you want to carry these two slabs back in a box and hope they sell next time? I'm pretty sure your cost into them is 50-$60. You're selling them for $130 total. I'll give you $70 (I'm already holding my cash out in front of their face). This works best for people who have just a few slabs, not boxes and boxes full.

These five raw keys you have on the wall for $550 total? I'll give you $300 cash (make sure you lay out the $300 down right in front of them, preferably in a neat orderly fan of $20's or $50's make sure the they are crisp new bills.

Then when they agree to that. Oh that other key you have up for $50-$60, can you throw that in for another $20? I just bought 5 keys from you (Extend the money toward them already, its the natural inclination of people to accept the money).

I agree with this . There are always at least one dealer who has had a bad show. Havent had enough help to load out . Over bought and dont have enough room to bring everything , etc etc .

You have to pre scout a little , Small talk to get some info .

But the deals are there at the end of the show .

I agree, stay away from cons. There are never any good deals at them. Just stay away. Particularly stay away from the cheap stuff at cons in NYC (or anywhere, because that stock will probably eventually get to NYC). Only focus on the wall books.

Someone complained about asking for ebay prices...I don't find that unreasonable, particularly if their pricing mirrors sales prices and you are saving $4 on shipping! I don't really expect someone to set up a table, spend $2K and have boxes of stuff priced in a way that I can buy stuff willy nilly and make a good flip on ebay. You have to hunt for that stuff!