• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

We started talking about Monstress here in December just a few weeks after it came out. We talked about the great art and story, I personally am not surprised it has done well. Its not TWD or Saga but this is a definitely a great book.

besides it has a really really really low print run......

Awesome. Like I said I was not aware of what specifically (if anything) lead to its seemingly prompt uptick in interest. I agree it is a very high quality book.

Okay, I had the wrong "investment" site, but this is the link that caused Monstress to take off (even before it started getting talked about here):

http://investcomics.com/weekly-hot-picks/investcomics-hot-picks-401

It references a previous Hot Pick blog from October 29th:

http://investcomics.com/weekly-hot-picks/investcomics-hot-picks-396

Notice the original blog says no copies were on eBay. That original blog came out before Monstress was released on November 4th! Of course there were no copies for sale on eBay. :facepalm: Misleading? Seems so to me...

I remember checking eBay when that 2nd blog was posted, and sure enough, Monstress #1 was available for cover price or less. Within days, those copies disappeared.

High quality or not, the simple fact is, nobody cared about that comic until that investment site posted about it. Then it sold out very, very quickly.

I'm not disputing if the comic warrants the speculation or not. Just saying that is an example of a comic that was hyped on an investment site first, then people became interested using the misleading information that no copies were for sale on eBay.

And the reason I remember this, I pointed out back then that this site was manipulating the market for this book.

Every new book is featured by these sites now. Just so they say they can told you so. Several of us cared about the book right after we read it. I went back and bought 3 copies at my LCS as soon I read it. Let me tell you it was tough to find nice copies.

Every new book is speculated on now. People have disposable income and they are buying 50 copies at a time for some of these books easy. They aren't going to tell you about the ones they lost on. The speculation sites are the same way.

Was their some manipulation? Probably its impossible not to have some. But honestly the people saying the like the book aren't people involved with these sites for the most part. The manipulation on raw is much more time consuming then slabbing for them. Its also risky because its easier to get caught.

Some of have been thru this before. The card collectors will go away again just like they did last time or they will go broke either way it will settle out in a few years when the movies burn out.

By now if you listening to boardies that have been here less then 2 years or so you better know them well. Just urging some caution because no one else will.

I totally agree here. That investment site in particular lists like 30% of the books that come out on any given week. I was the same. I bought the book. I took it home and read it. I facebooked my LCS and had them put two more aside for me. I made sure that my LCS got 2 2nd prints of number one for me, and I scooped another off eBay for cover. I did this all my own because the book is great. I did something similar with WCNGH. Now, I am just a hoarder not a speculator. Also, I have been on these boards for just over a year, so don't listen to me. I am just trying to get my post count up, so the post count kind of veneers by noobieness.

Now that I've been registered here for slightly longer than two years, it's time for me to finally unleash the long con I set in motion years ago.

I think WildC.A.T.S. is due to blow up any day now.

I better get my Deathmate: Black ready. GEN 13 is gonna be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge !

Edited by Candletric

We started talking about Monstress here in December just a few weeks after it came out. We talked about the great art and story, I personally am not surprised it has done well. Its not TWD or Saga but this is a definitely a great book.

Awesome. Like I said I was not aware of what specifically (if anything) lead to its seemingly prompt uptick in interest. I agree it is a very high quality book.

Okay, I had the wrong "investment" site, but this is the link that caused Monstress to take off (even before it started getting talked about here):

Notice the original blog says no copies were on eBay. That original blog came out before Monstress was released on November 4th! Of course there were no copies for sale on eBay. :facepalm: Misleading? Seems so to me...

I remember checking eBay when that 2nd blog was posted, and sure enough, Monstress #1 was available for cover price or less. Within days, those copies disappeared.

High quality or not, the simple fact is, nobody cared about that comic until that investment site posted about it. Then it sold out very, very quickly.

I'm not disputing if the comic warrants the speculation or not. Just saying that is an example of a comic that was hyped on an investment site first, then people became interested using the misleading information that no copies were for sale on eBay.

And the reason I remember this, I pointed out back then that this site was manipulating the market for this book.

Every new book is featured by these sites now. Just so they say they can told you so. Several of us cared about the book right after we read it. I went back and bought 3 copies at my LCS as soon I read it. Let me tell you it was tough to find nice copies.

Every new book is speculated on now. People have disposable income and they are buying 50 copies at a time for some of these books easy. They aren't going to tell you about the ones they lost on. The speculation sites are the same way.

Was their some manipulation? Probably its impossible not to have some. But honestly the people saying the like the book aren't people involved with these sites for the most part. The manipulation on raw is much more time consuming then slabbing for them. Its also risky because its easier to get caught.

Some of have been thru this before. The card collectors will go away again just like they did last time or they will go broke either way it will settle out in a few years when the movies burn out.

By now if you listening to boardies that have been here less then 2 years or so you better know them well. Just urging some caution because no one else will.

I think we need another Sixth Gun situation to thin the herd a bit.

:eek:

I remember that. People were driving hours to go to Hastings stores trying to buy all the back issues, etc. I'm glad I never got caught up in the hype. I had one copy and sold it for $20 less than I paid, so I guess I was lucky.

I remember people spending 50+ on Adventurers #1

I remember people spending 50++ on Death Of Superman

I remember people spending 50 on Spider-Man #1 (all variants)

I remember people spending 100s of dollars on boxes of Spawn #1

I remember people spending 100s of dollars on Valiant books TWICE IN A LIFETIME

This is not new.

This is not going away

Rinse & Repeat

Man, I hope we are not in that bad of shape. What all those books have in common you listed is they were part of the huge market correction in the 1990s.

One way of looking at it.

Another is - when the market is HEALTHY - youre gonna have all sorts of buck chasers.

Thats not a bad thing for those IN THE KNOW.

You'd know not to make the same mistakes that were made a few decades ago, or maybe a few weeks ago.

All the rest of them - spend the money, learn the hard way. We'll still have a healthy market when you come back

Another is - when the market is HEALTHY - youre gonna have all sorts of buck chasers.

You'd know not to make the same mistakes that were made a few decades ago, or maybe a few weeks ago.

All the rest of them - spend the money, learn the hard way. We'll still have a healthy market when you come back

classy.gif

classy.gif

kaHr2Fe.png

Harley Quinn #1 NEW 52 $26

This went from a steady $5, then $10, then $15, and lately, a $20 book. The movie must be creating quite the demand.

I've watched this one since I sold my Hughes variant, This has sold consistently for over $20 for at least the last year in my local areas stores, and online.

First Negan on a cover so first appearance ( along with the SDCC cover ) anywhere. Some may call it something else but there is no doubt who it is and who it is that he has in his hands. Her first appearance too. We really have no way of knowing how many of each cover were ordered but based on the big name artists involved plus the Chromium cover, the odds are pretty decent this one would have been ordered on the low side. This is the book I've been buying and I haven't sold one yet. There seems to be room to grow imo. People are going LOVE/HATE Negan. :cloud9::frustrated:

First Negan on a cover so first appearance ( along with the SDCC cover ) anywhere. Some may call it something else but there is no doubt who it is and who it is that he has in his hands. Her first appearance too. We really have no way of knowing how many of each cover were ordered but based on the big name artists involved plus the Chromium cover, the odds are pretty decent this one would have been ordered on the low side. This is the book I've been buying and I haven't sold one yet. There seems to be room to grow imo. People are going LOVE/HATE Negan. :cloud9::frustrated:

true, I just meant others of the exact same cover were selling for less even though the top one states VF-NM in the description. Maybe it's the wordy title sucking them in...the ones stagnating at $30 are BINs, people must just like bidding on these.

Edited by krighton

I think we need another Sixth Gun situation to thin the herd a bit.

:eek:

I remember that. People were driving hours to go to Hastings stores trying to buy all the back issues, etc. I'm glad I never got caught up in the hype. I had one copy and sold it for $20 less than I paid, so I guess I was lucky.

I remember people spending 50+ on Adventurers #1

I remember people spending 50++ on Death Of Superman

I remember people spending 50 on Spider-Man #1 (all variants)

I remember people spending 100s of dollars on boxes of Spawn #1

I remember people spending 100s of dollars on Valiant books TWICE IN A LIFETIME

This is not new.

This is not going away

Rinse & Repeat

Man, I hope we are not in that bad of shape. What all those books have in common you listed is they were part of the huge market correction in the 1990s.

Another is - when the market is HEALTHY - youre gonna have all sorts of buck chasers who will corrupt it and make it UNHEALTHY.

Thats not a bad thing for those IN THE KNOW in the short-term.

Fixed.

true, I just meant others of the exact same cover were selling for less even though the top one states VF-NM in the description. Maybe it's the wordy title sucking them in...the ones stagnating at $30 are BINs, people must just like bidding on these.

I see...and I don't have a clue. lol

I sold all of mine today. I usually hold on to one copy for my PC, but Im quite happy with what I got so I pulled out completely

I sold all of mine today. I usually hold on to one copy for my PC, but Im quite happy with what I got so I pulled out completely

You can't lose winning :grin:

You can't lose winning :grin:

Exactly. Good job!

With the buzz about the new Black Panther series, I was thinking now might be the time to let my 2009 Sketch Variant cover go. I was a little surprised by some of the recent prices, although I think some of the results are a bit dubious, considering the same image is used.

But hey, it's a variant, which means there's a very low print run.

:baiting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Variant-Marvel-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/311579902225?hash=item488b9c0111%3Am%3Am5dy3YYr7fkasFxf5TDP5-Q&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Variant-Marvel-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/381572236990?hash=item58d77a46be%3Am%3Am5dy3YYr7fkasFxf5TDP5-Q&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Variant-Marvel-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/222072390715?hash=item33b48bc43b%3Ag%3ASBgAAOSwud1W~yil&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/331804155404?hash=item4d41119e0c%3Ag%3AkpMAAOSwoudW6K3f&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/331804144870?hash=item4d411174e6%3Ag%3AkpMAAOSwoudW6K3f&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I guess what I thought was a high BIN wasn't so high, and now I'm wondering how much I left on the table by not letting the auction play out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Panther-1-2009-CGC-9-6-Campbell-Sketch-NYCC-Variant-Low-print-run-RARE-/152049695619?