• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

Did you guys order any of the Gamestop variants? I was able to get 4.

I noticed that the last 3 comics are still not sold out at power-up-rewards.

Starlord 1, Borderlands and Wolverine are still available to order. Wonder if the demand has just been destroyed or they have soaked up a lot of the points that were sitting out there.

I grabbed of the wolverine ones 4 and sent them off to be graded.

Also, based on the seller's name/store, someone very closely associated with Greg Horn (or GH himself). The listing also mentions having 15 of these. Quite a good amount of dough if they go for the same amount.

Lastly, if Greg is marking these himself, is he going to have a CGC rep standing over him while he does it or does he get a "pass" b/c he's an artist? Or are people "winning" this auction going to have to wait 3 months to finally get their item?

Like I said...interesting.

Greg has started doing this a lot - he grabs a stack of his artist comps, gets them pre-screened for 9.8, does a sketch on each of them (which is witnessed by CGC), and then sells them in his eBay store once they're slabbed. He either fast-tracks or does the books onsite, so there's no 3 month waiting period. There are several other artists who do the exact same thing.

I assumed it was actually him, based on the ID and store name.

In order to limit the amount of time the buyer is waiting for his/her purchase, does the artist start sketching and submitting his/her comps before the book hits the public?

Also, based on the seller's name/store, someone very closely associated with Greg Horn (or GH himself). The listing also mentions having 15 of these. Quite a good amount of dough if they go for the same amount.

Lastly, if Greg is marking these himself, is he going to have a CGC rep standing over him while he does it or does he get a "pass" b/c he's an artist? Or are people "winning" this auction going to have to wait 3 months to finally get their item?

Greg has started doing this a lot - he grabs a stack of his artist comps, gets them pre-screened for 9.8, does a sketch on each of them (which is witnessed by CGC), and then sells them in his eBay store once they're slabbed. He either fast-tracks or does the books onsite, so there's no 3 month waiting period. There are several other artists who do the exact same thing.

In order to limit the amount of time the buyer is waiting for his/her purchase, does the artist start sketching and submitting his/her comps before the book hits the public?

That's a good question - I honestly don't know when the artists receive their comps :shrug:

That's a good question - I honestly don't know when the artists receive their comps :shrug:

I do. The answer is.... it varies!! For example for this specific case, it could come from Gamestop, whoever published the comic, whoever distributed the comic, Marvel corporate, Marvel promotional, Marvel comics, or any number of people depending on how that particular variant was done, and how Gamestop and/or Marvel wanted to give out comp copies. The timing COULD be tied to who ended up giving out the comps. They might want to give them out in person, which could involve a business meeting or meeting a show or showing up at Greg's business, etc...or by mail ahead of time, on time, or after the fact.

I wondered how long before artists would start to figure out this game.

Marvel published more Death of Wolverine 1 variants than most companies publish comics. :roflmao:

What is the official count on the number of variants for this title?

Around the same of most of the recent Image titles :whistle:

Midtown is showing 11 Death of Wolverine variant covers (I don't count any of the signed books) and I suspect more than Midtown has released an exclusive for this book.

I know Walking Dead has had a few covers which had a high number of variants. But most of the recent Image titles have? Do you have examples?

Wayward had a ton. Between 6 - 8 from what I remember.

Nailbiter, Deadly Class, Southern Bastards

Surely you jest... Image publisher Eric Stephenson earlier this year mocked the Big Two for their variant covers in his ComicsPRO speech. Apparently, they are bad for the industry, bad for comic shops, and bad for fans.

Are $4.99 and $7.99 comics going to help our industry in the long run?

No, but they sure help the bottom line at the end of the year.

Same with gimmick covers and insane incentives to qualify for variants that will only have a limited appeal for a limited amount of time.

Everybody moans about variants, but here’s the honest to goodness truth:

You stop ordering variants; we’ll stop making them.

They are only produced to shore up market share, that’s it and that’s all, and when used in conjunction with quantity-based incentives, they don’t sell more comics, they just result in stacks of unsold books that send the wrong message to your customers about the titles, your stores, and our industry.

That type of marketing is built on short-term sales goals that do little to grow and sustain readership, and it’s a trick that’s been done to death in other industries, to diminishing returns.

He goes on to say "we can do better," but I guess he's not interested in putting his market share where his mouth is. This was only a few months after Walking Dead 115 shipped with 16 different covers, less than two years after Walking Dead 100 shipped with 16 covers.

ComicsPRO speech

He's full of mess on many levels.

Of course he isn't going to risk his market share. The guy says don't buy them we wont produce them. The guy runs a business. I think the goal is to make a profit last time I checked.

There is a lot of hypocritical to go around here.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I wondered how long before artists would start to figure out this game.

Not a bad way at all to make some nice scratch.

Variant covers are so overdone.

#overit.

I agree for the most part. I'm pretty selective with the ones I get since there are so many. It's both a blessing (due to the great artwork) and a curse (due to the amount made -- especially with Marvel's current method of pimping out #1s with a minimum of 4 variants). Some are the price of a classic key, which is ridiculous. But that just my 2c

I am still blown away by the prices Greg Horn was getting for his slabbed Gamestop variants with his and Lee's sig and a quick sketch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-CGC-9-8-GAME-STOP-SIGNED-SKETCHED-BY-GREG-HORN-STAN-LEE-NR-/321443785853?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ad78aec7d&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Death-of-Wolverine-1-CGC-9-8-REMARKED-edition-GAMESTOP-variant-by-GREG-HORN-/361033466606?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item540f4582ee&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

just wow...

Crazy prices, but the Wolverine cover art is fantastic! Love it.

#overit.

I agree for the most part. I'm pretty selective with the ones I get since there are so many. It's both a blessing (due to the great artwork) and a curse (due to the amount made -- especially with Marvel's current method of pimping out #1s with a minimum of 4 variants). Some are the price of a classic key, which is ridiculous. But that just my 2c

I am still blown away by the prices Greg Horn was getting for his slabbed Gamestop variants with his and Lee's sig and a quick sketch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-CGC-9-8-GAME-STOP-SIGNED-SKETCHED-BY-GREG-HORN-STAN-LEE-NR-/321443785853?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ad78aec7d&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Death-of-Wolverine-1-CGC-9-8-REMARKED-edition-GAMESTOP-variant-by-GREG-HORN-/361033466606?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item540f4582ee&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

just wow...

Crazy prices, but the Wolverine cover art is fantastic! Love it.

Love the cover but I would not pay that much for that book. I would just ask herb to re-create the Hulk 181 cover for me. Cheaper. :grin:

#overit.

just wow...

Speaking of which here is what I found

Stan Lee Spider-man Sketch

Now judging from the recent sales of those books above, it might be worth it, if you could somehow authenticate it......

Check out a recent sale of Stan's sketches that I found on the bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAN-LEE-AUTHENTIC-SIGNED-8X10-HAND-DRAWN-SPIDER-MAN-SKETCH-PSA-DNA-V09658-/400703654374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4bcc89e6

Thats a whopping 8k for it. I spoke with the dealer and its a legit sale!! Its amazing what people buy these days...