• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

We started talking about Monstress here in December just a few weeks after it came out. We talked about the great art and story, I personally am not surprised it has done well. Its not TWD or Saga but this is a definitely a great book.

besides it has a really really really low print run......

Awesome. Like I said I was not aware of what specifically (if anything) lead to its seemingly prompt uptick in interest. I agree it is a very high quality book.

Okay, I had the wrong "investment" site, but this is the link that caused Monstress to take off (even before it started getting talked about here):

http://investcomics.com/weekly-hot-picks/investcomics-hot-picks-401

It references a previous Hot Pick blog from October 29th:

http://investcomics.com/weekly-hot-picks/investcomics-hot-picks-396

Notice the original blog says no copies were on eBay. That original blog came out before Monstress was released on November 4th! Of course there were no copies for sale on eBay. :facepalm: Misleading? Seems so to me...

I remember checking eBay when that 2nd blog was posted, and sure enough, Monstress #1 was available for cover price or less. Within days, those copies disappeared.

High quality or not, the simple fact is, nobody cared about that comic until that investment site posted about it. Then it sold out very, very quickly.

I'm not disputing if the comic warrants the speculation or not. Just saying that is an example of a comic that was hyped on an investment site first, then people became interested using the misleading information that no copies were for sale on eBay.

And the reason I remember this, I pointed out back then that this site was manipulating the market for this book.

Every new book is featured by these sites now. Just so they say they can told you so. Several of us cared about the book right after we read it. I went back and bought 3 copies at my LCS as soon I read it. Let me tell you it was tough to find nice copies.

Every new book is speculated on now. People have disposable income and they are buying 50 copies at a time for some of these books easy. They aren't going to tell you about the ones they lost on. The speculation sites are the same way.

Was their some manipulation? Probably its impossible not to have some. But honestly the people saying the like the book aren't people involved with these sites for the most part. The manipulation on raw is much more time consuming then slabbing for them. Its also risky because its easier to get caught.

Some of have been thru this before. The card collectors will go away again just like they did last time or they will go broke either way it will settle out in a few years when the movies burn out.

By now if you listening to boardies that have been here less then 2 years or so you better know them well. Just urging some caution because no one else will.

I think we need another Sixth Gun situation to thin the herd a bit.

:eek:

I remember that. People were driving hours to go to Hastings stores trying to buy all the back issues, etc. I'm glad I never got caught up in the hype. I had one copy and sold it for $20 less than I paid, so I guess I was lucky.

Sixth Gun . . . :cloud9:

R

We started talking about Monstress here in December just a few weeks after it came out. We talked about the great art and story, I personally am not surprised it has done well. Its not TWD or Saga but this is a definitely a great book.

Awesome. Like I said I was not aware of what specifically (if anything) lead to its seemingly prompt uptick in interest. I agree it is a very high quality book.

Okay, I had the wrong "investment" site, but this is the link that caused Monstress to take off (even before it started getting talked about here):

Notice the original blog says no copies were on eBay. That original blog came out before Monstress was released on November 4th! Of course there were no copies for sale on eBay. :facepalm: Misleading? Seems so to me...

I remember checking eBay when that 2nd blog was posted, and sure enough, Monstress #1 was available for cover price or less. Within days, those copies disappeared.

High quality or not, the simple fact is, nobody cared about that comic until that investment site posted about it. Then it sold out very, very quickly.

I'm not disputing if the comic warrants the speculation or not. Just saying that is an example of a comic that was hyped on an investment site first, then people became interested using the misleading information that no copies were for sale on eBay.

And the reason I remember this, I pointed out back then that this site was manipulating the market for this book.

Every new book is featured by these sites now. Just so they say they can told you so. Several of us cared about the book right after we read it. I went back and bought 3 copies at my LCS as soon I read it. Let me tell you it was tough to find nice copies.

Every new book is speculated on now. People have disposable income and they are buying 50 copies at a time for some of these books easy. They aren't going to tell you about the ones they lost on. The speculation sites are the same way.

Was their some manipulation? Probably its impossible not to have some. But honestly the people saying the like the book aren't people involved with these sites for the most part. The manipulation on raw is much more time consuming then slabbing for them. Its also risky because its easier to get caught.

Some of have been thru this before. The card collectors will go away again just like they did last time or they will go broke either way it will settle out in a few years when the movies burn out.

By now if you listening to boardies that have been here less then 2 years or so you better know them well. Just urging some caution because no one else will.

I remember that. People were driving hours to go to Hastings stores trying to buy all the back issues, etc. I'm glad I never got caught up in the hype. I had one copy and sold it for $20 less than I paid, so I guess I was lucky.

Still one of the best reads to come out I the last few years :cloud9:

#50 ( last issues ) pre order this month.

I remember people spending 50+ on Adventurers #1

I remember people spending 50++ on Death Of Superman

I remember people spending 50 on Spider-Man #1 (all variants)

I remember people spending 100s of dollars on boxes of Spawn #1

I remember people spending 100s of dollars on Valiant books TWICE IN A LIFETIME

This is not new.

This is not going away

Rinse & Repeat

You would have to have access to all the bidders names, which you don't. Possibly need their real life names. Sounds easy, right? Then cross reference them with their real or fake name in the said group.

Why would you even repeat this as there's obviously no way you could verify such a story. Real or not.

Why not. Everyone says whatever they want around here. Doesn't matter if it's true or not anymore.

There's a difference between a know-it-all constantly barking at everybody about how they shouldn't ever attempt to estimate a book's print run, and someone repeating unfounded rumours that are potentially libelous.

-J.

No one said you 'shouldn't ever attempt to estimate a book's print run'.

Once again jay has made up a lie to further his agenda.

You were shown how your assumptions were in error in trying to estimate a book's print run.

Just as you were shown how variants are counted in the overall print run, when you didn't want to believe that.

You can get mad and hump the button all you want, when you try and pass misinformation on these boards, someone will challenge you on it.

:gossip: I just don't like the baseball card guys getting involved AGAIN with comics.

That's all

Has nothing to do with print runs, pretty covers or limited books.

Just keep the used car salesmen ( sorry Tom ) out of the hobby.

End rantrant

+1

:golfclap:

I have to give it to Bunn, pretty awesome book. I enjoyed the Damned too.

Looks like a win for CBSI.

I am still not hearing a lot of examples of how they manipulate the market for their own personal advantages. To me I simply see a lot of entrenched, long-term CGC people taking shots at a decent group for no reason. I'm not hear to defend them at all but I have seen this happen hear from time to time and there's no reason why people here shouldn't respect other communities who post about comics.

A win? :facepalm:

I provided one example, did you look into it?

All I am doing is reporting information that has been relayed to me by multiple sources. It's done quite a bit around here about other sites as I'm sure you've seen. Yet for some reason the CBSI crowd is among the most defensive bunch I've come across. I'm not sure if that's because they are the only ones present being discussed, if they are guilty, or if they have some speculating street cred thing they are trying to protect.

My respect is always given to those who do positive things for the hobby. I personally just don't know of anything positive CBSI has done but I'm also not familiar with the site other than what is told to me.

If that site is so absolutely amazing and always first to report home run speculations why do any CBSI people come here?

Trust me nobody is outing a book until after they have bought some, sold all their copies, or cant get anymore.

Who cares about credit. I am quite sure many others see hot books first they just don't want the competition or are too busy buying up the copies.

But I do like their site. Its got an easy setup and has listed several books I have always wondered why the sell so well.

Edited by Fastballspecial

You would have to have access to all the bidders names, which you don't. Possibly need their real life names. Sounds easy, right? Then cross reference them with their real or fake name in the said group.

Why would you even repeat this as there's obviously no way you could verify such a story. Real or not.

Why not. Everyone says whatever they want around here. Doesn't matter if it's true or not anymore.

There's a difference between a know-it-all constantly barking at everybody about how they shouldn't ever attempt to estimate a book's print run, and someone repeating unfounded rumours that are potentially libelous.

-J.

No one said you 'shouldn't ever attempt to estimate a book's print run'.

Once again jay has made up a lie to further his agenda.

You were shown how your assumptions were in error in trying to estimate a book's print run.

Just as you were shown how variants are counted in the overall print run, when you didn't want to believe that.

You can get mad and hump the button all you want, when you try and pass misinformation on these boards, someone will challenge you on it.

But you probably shouldn't try to estimate a book's print run when you don't have any data that's specifically related to the print run. And you definitely shouldn't post your estimates as fact rather than the WAGs they are.

I totally agree here. That investment site in particular lists like 30% of the books that come out on any given week. I was the same. I bought the book. I took it home and read it. I facebooked my LCS and had them put two more aside for me. I made sure that my LCS got 2 2nd prints of number one for me, and I scooped another off eBay for cover. I did this all my own because the book is great. I did something similar with WCNGH. Now, I am just a hoarder not a speculator. Also, I have been on these boards for just over a year, so don't listen to me. I am just trying to get my post count up, so the post count kind of veneers by noobieness.

:golfclap:

I have to give it to Bunn, pretty awesome book. I enjoyed the Damned too.

:cloud9::cloud9:

sixthgunscan2face1_zpsdd49bf15.jpg

thedamned1cgcss_zps83d3427f.jpg

This is not new.

This is not going away

Rinse & Repeat

Me too, I was referring to the boards not the comic universe. It did thin the herd for a while.

This is not new.

This is not going away

Rinse & Repeat

Man, I hope we are not in that bad of shape. What all those books have in common you listed is they were part of the huge market correction in the 1990s.

I totally agree here. That investment site in particular lists like 30% of the books that come out on any given week. I was the same. I bought the book. I took it home and read it. I facebooked my LCS and had them put two more aside for me. I made sure that my LCS got 2 2nd prints of number one for me, and I scooped another off eBay for cover. I did this all my own because the book is great. I did something similar with WCNGH. Now, I am just a hoarder not a speculator. Also, I have been on these boards for just over a year, so don't listen to me. I am just trying to get my post count up, so the post count kind of veneers by noobieness.

Now that I've been registered here for slightly longer than two years, it's time for me to finally unleash the long con I set in motion years ago.

I think WildC.A.T.S. is due to blow up any day now.

Now that I've been registered here for slightly longer than two years, it's time for me to finally unleash the long con I set in motion years ago.

That would be CHAOS! (squared) ;)

lol