• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, BishopT said:

Holy mackerel on All New Marvel Now Point One 2nd print!

I brought one to a local one-day con about a year or so ago. The dealer who I showed it to held it like it was a dead rat, until I convinced him to look it up on ebay.

It took a while, but he finally condescended to give me the $40, or whatever it was at the time, in trade.

:tonofbricks:

4 hours ago, camera73 said:

I brought one to a local one-day con about a year or so ago. The dealer who I showed it to held it like it was a dead rat, until I convinced him to look it up on ebay.

It took a while, but he finally condescended to give me the $40, or whatever it was at the time, in trade.

You still made good on the deal as I’m sure you got it for cover. We all have stories like that. Like all the EOS #2’s I sold off a few years ago for $30 each. I have many more stories like that. 

17 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

So the new batman legends robin king 1 in 25 variant is selling over $200 or more for a preorder?  Now i believe in capitalism and you being able to sell whatever you want for whatever some one is willing to pay, but this book isnt even out yet.  So i assume all these over priced preorder sales are from comic shop owners.  I just dont get how you can sell an item for that amount when im sure DC has a maybe $10 amount listed for the variant.  So how are presales already that high of an asking price?

Once you hit the threshold you pay the same price you are paying for the regular cover for the variant.

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

what about Captain Marvel 17 2nd Print ? CGC label notes #17 predates that comic

That ones always been the one to get. It predates it, yes. That’s still a more expensive book and on my list but I’m going to have to get lucky to get one. 

Edited by Corona smith

20 hours ago, camera73 said:
On 7/31/2020 at 2:08 PM, BishopT said:

Holy mackerel on All New Marvel Now Point One 2nd print!

I hope you learned your lesson from that . . . never ever take "in trade" from a dealer. lol

2 hours ago, divad said:

I hope you learned your lesson from that . . . never ever take "in trade" from a dealer. lol

I was the one pushing for the trade. He doubted the value of the book, even at $40.

It was an easy way to keep cash in my pocket, since I had so many copies of ANMNPO1 2nd.

I always take a couple copies of books that are heating up to use as currency. Dealers usually offer me 1:1, as opposed to asking for cash and getting the wholesale rate.

3 hours ago, divad said:

So getting $40 in credit for comics is a bad move? That’s about what they were selling for back then if that. So the price is spot on. Generally any comics sold goes into buying more comics for me so credits fine and I avoid handling someone’s sweaty cash.

At some point maybe you can bring something relevant to the conversation instead of being a troll. 

I know it's been discussed in the past, but Spawn comics are insane!! I was just going over my collection and looking at the gunslinger comics in the 170s - holy hell, makes me think I should just list the whole run at 99 cents and see where it goes.  $200-300 for raws of 174?  

1 hour ago, spreads said:

I know it's been discussed in the past, but Spawn comics are insane!! I was just going over my collection and looking at the gunslinger comics in the 170s - holy hell, makes me think I should just list the whole run at 99 cents and see where it goes.  $200-300 for raws of 174?  

Yes, there has been a lot of demand for Spawn back issues. If you are lucky enough to have a variant of #1 or #185 you could do quite well.

24 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

Yes, there has been a lot of demand for Spawn back issues. If you are lucky enough to have a variant of #1 or #185 you could do quite well.

I don't.  I have about 80% of the run to 300 (not including variants) and was going to stop collecting there.  Within the last two weeks I got lucky on a local buy that had 25 issues in the 200s I needed for my run....when I acquired 174 last year I had no idea of its value, I'm wondering if there are other books I should be putting in Mylar/Half backs instead of just a bag/board. 

Edited by spreads

On 7/31/2020 at 2:47 PM, Timeless icons said:
On 7/31/2020 at 9:41 AM, Ace Bandage said:

I have been opportunistically piling up 9.8's w/  5 standard covers and one WWLA. I frankly had been ignoring the Director's cuts but maybe I shouldn't have been.  :)

lol As a collector, I've been known to go overboard as well when collecting. It's tough to separate my collection addiction from my website (not a shameless plug, just sad fact lol). I've also been collecting 9.8 copies for about 3-4 years. I believe I'm up to 12 WWLA 9.8 copies, 1SS WWLA, a Dir cut and a regular cover 9.8 as well. I do that a lot with characters I like. I piled up Batman Arkham knight 1 years ago and I've only added to it since lol. This pic is old but along the way, I picked up a 9.8 gamestop store gold variant as well. 

On 7/31/2020 at 12:46 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Aren't Director's cuts basically reprints, some some additional bonus material?

Could be but the did come out at the same time according to CGC labeling. I haven't investigated the interior on a copy since I only have a regular covered copy in raw but I am curious. 

On 7/31/2020 at 10:28 AM, camera73 said:

And don't forget the HTF WWLA Exclusive CGC 9.5 special edition

So strange that such a grade exists today.

I wouldn't it reminds me the end of the Wizard days when they thought they could price comics and sell them too.
Some of these spec sites will do the same thing. Thinking they are smarter. 

CGC wont back the grade since it used Wizard's scale not theirs. So I wouldn't buy one unless its dirt cheap and
looks immaculate.