• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, littledoom said:

TMNT 47 is a $100 comic now

Here it sold for $3: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-volume-1-47-may-1992-comic-book-/303782472059?hash=item46bad8a97b%3Ag%3AGaoAAOSwB8BfvawG&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There was one BIN at that price ($100). Every other sale has been $31 or less. So now all the sellers jacked up the price. It may be a $100 book, but i am not sure it is yet. It has a pretty cool cover. I need to see if I own it. Then I will definitely say it is a $100 book. I feel like although I own a lot of issues from around then, I may not own that one. Oh well.

7 minutes ago, kimik said:

Yes, but if the image I was sent is the 1:25, no one will buy it. 

It is interesting to see how under the radar Marvel/Disney has kept this book, despite the multi-media approach they are taking with the High Republic franchise. I would have expected more promotions around it.

How many copies do you think this 1:25 will result in? I am not RMA, so I do not know the precise answer. (Is he still alive?) But yeah, if they need to order 25 to get it, and have ordered 20 to get 2 copies of the other one, I can see them maybe just sticking to 20 copies.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

How many copies do you think this 1:25 will result in? I am not RMA, so I do not know the precise answer. (Is he still alive?) But yeah, if they need to order 25 to get it, and have ordered 20 to get 2 copies of the other one, I can see them maybe just sticking to 20 copies.

The issue is that they did not post the 1:25 until after FOC. Had collectors and stores known it was such a horrid 1:25 variant they would not have chased it, which would have significantly hit sales on it. I just feel bad for store owners that will have a dead 1:25 variant that collectors will not buy instead of something that can help them generate revenues. The ones I know that saw the image after FOC last night were pissed it was a hack job of a cover. Right now they need every cent they can get to stay afloat.

52 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

There are going to be tons of those 1:10's though. I would venture every store that has any pulse on the market would order at least 10.

True, but they will still sell like crazy since it is the first cover appearance of the Nihil Raiders.

32 minutes ago, kimik said:

Yes, but if the image I was sent is the 1:25, no one will buy it. 

It is interesting to see how under the radar Marvel/Disney has kept this book, despite the multi-media approach they are taking with the High Republic franchise. I would have expected more promotions around it.

Consider me clueless or at least lost on every specific Star Wars reveal; why is this issue/title "hot"?

Edited by manetteska

20 minutes ago, kimik said:

The issue is that they did not post the 1:25 until after FOC. Had collectors and stores known it was such a horrid 1:25 variant they would not have chased it, which would have significantly hit sales on it. I just feel bad for store owners that will have a dead 1:25 variant that collectors will not buy instead of something that can help them generate revenues. The ones I know that saw the image after FOC last night were pissed it was a hack job of a cover. Right now they need every cent they can get to stay afloat.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions based on your opinion of the art.

13 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Consider me clueless or at least lost on every specific Star Wars reveal; why is this issue/title "hot"?

There is a rumour that Disney is working on an animated series based on the Star Wars High Republic series that came out in the last few months.

Its a two day old "Hollywood Insider scoop" from Charles Murphy.

14 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Just now, Jimmy Linguini said:

There is a rumour that Disney is working on an animated series based on the Star Wars High Republic series that came out in the last few months.

Its a two day old "Hollywood Insider scoop" from Charles Murphy.

This is also an all new story and characters. So all first appearances, etc... 200 years before Skywalker saga.

23 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

You're making an awful lot of assumptions based on your opinion of the art.

Maybe, but I doubt it. The image showed up on Comic Hub shortly after FOC closed. They had it, but did not want to release it due to the reaction they knew it would generate - unhappy collectors and retailers. Marvel is a business and they knew that it could dampen orders.

As far as the artwork, I am not the only one with that opinion. It is a trash cover. Marvel started hearing that as soon as the image dropped to retailers last night.

15 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Why hasn't Marvel released a comic with The Mandalorian and baby Yoda yet?

Even just an adaptation of season 1.  Would figure that would sell like hot cakes for them.  

It is coming. No timing for the release yet.

18 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

This is also an all new story and characters. So all first appearances, etc... 200 years before Skywalker saga.

Exactly. (thumbsu

The D+ rumor is just a rumor right now, but this is a multi-media release that Marvel has telegraphed for the past year as ushering in a bunch of new characters. It was one of the no brainer spec plays announced last year.

9 minutes ago, kimik said:

Exactly. (thumbsu

The D+ rumor is just a rumor right now, but this is a multi-media release that Marvel has telegraphed for the past year as ushering in a bunch of new characters. It was one of the no brainer spec plays announced last year.

The animated show I could see being more based off the High Republic Adventures which will be published by IDW.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I agree, a variant cover should be eye catching and special, not generic (although, seriously, shouldn't every cover get 150% effort? I can understand maybe the interior pages not getting them in every panel, but the cover ought to.) Give someone a reason to spend double digits beyond "it has a low print run."  I just don't think the cited image looks like a 7 year old did it unless the kid is a prodigy. It looks like something that would make more sense on an interior page.

You're right.  It's definitely more like a 9 or 10 year old's work.

The colorist deserves some blame for the bland color palette as well.

All in all, put on a rack with other covers, this one would suffer by comparison, even as an A cover, let alone a 1:25.

1 hour ago, kimik said:
2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There are going to be tons of those 1:10's though. I would venture every store that has any pulse on the market would order at least 10.

True, but they will still sell like crazy since it is the first cover appearance of the Nihil Raiders.

ASM 4, first Silk, 1:10 cover, anyone? (thumbsu

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Here it sold for $3: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-volume-1-47-may-1992-comic-book-/303782472059?hash=item46bad8a97b%3Ag%3AGaoAAOSwB8BfvawG&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There was one BIN at that price ($100). Every other sale has been $31 or less. So now all the sellers jacked up the price. It may be a $100 book, but i am not sure it is yet. It has a pretty cool cover. I need to see if I own it. Then I will definitely say it is a $100 book. I feel like although I own a lot of issues from around then, I may not own that one. Oh well.

Yes a very rare $3 steal of a deal sale happened .. that happens w every key or hot book