• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,778 posts in this topic

Holy hell Marvel. The SW High Republic 1:25 image being circulated is fricking horrid. I can see why they are scared to post it in Previews until after FOC. 🤮

i guess they used up all the real talent on Eternals 1 variants to try and sell that 💩

2 hours ago, carter3175 said:

I guess, I just want one answer as to why Miles catches holy hell.  Its funny how people pick and choose in comics.  There are like 12 Flashes in DC, too many to list Green Lanterns, tons of Robins, several Hulks, a couple of Wolverines, several Thors.  There were several Spider-Mans before Miles. I just do not get it. (shrug)

Miles is just one of many derivative garbage characters from post-continuity Marvel.

Wolverine's 57th daughter? Pink Polka-Dot Hulk? Spider-Gwen? They're all :censored:.

There's also a bunch of junk at DC from the last decade.

It matters when the characters were created cloned, how they're handled, and how they're hyped.

3 hours ago, carter3175 said:

I guess, I just want one answer as to why Miles catches holy hell.  Its funny how people pick and choose in comics.  There are like 12 Flashes in DC, too many to list Green Lanterns, tons of Robins, several Hulks, a couple of Wolverines, several Thors.  There were several Spider-Mans before Miles. I just do not get it. (shrug)

DC had its own wave of reintroductions when creating the silver age. Marvel's re-imaginings are not as forgivable. Hulk is Bruce Banner but everyone else has HIS blood somehow. I think all the Wolverines are Wolverine's, right? Thor is kind of like Green Lantern, you pick up the hammer, you put on the ring. Spider-Man was a boy turned superhero because he was bitten by an irradiated spider, and then had the experiences to make him use his newfound powers responsibly. But you can see in all these cases, other aliases after the original are extremely derivative. I found it interesting Marvel went the multiverse route with the What If's and made everything happen someplace but there is something lesser about derivative universes. Would Miles have made it on his own, coming about in a universe with no Spider-Man (either to follow in the comics or existing as he does in our universe, in pop culture) to come before him? People like a fresh take but that only gets you so far. For the most part, the ultimate universe is not exactly at its peak right now. So the criticism is just that it is a rehash, in some sense. It can still be fun, but doesn't carry the substance of a brand-new character.

5 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Venom has spawned numerous titles, led to a whole mythos around his origin, and had a movie titled after himself in spite of ostensibly or historically being a villain. Miles is another to take the Spider-Man mantle like Spider-Woman or Spider-Man 2099 and was introduced among other alternate spider-men like himself, like Spider-Gwen. The new Miles Morales game is a big get, but is still riding the proper Spider-Man's coattails.

I agree with this. There's a lot of love for the various iterations of Venom (Brock, Flash etc.) and I think this Donnie Cates run will go down as one the defining storylines for the character. Fleshing out the mythology and making Venom part of the fabric of the wider Marvel universe means he's a top tier character now. The Venom movie was alright as a starting point and if Venom 2 is a hit then expect ASM 300 to rocket further.

I believe (rightly or wrongly) that characters, no matter their backstory are is still only as good as their villains and having Carnage and now Knull tip the scales for Venom over Miles.

Miles has only been around for a blink of an eye and has immense potential but until he firmly establishes himself as THE modern Spider-man with compelling story arcs and villains that spawn crossovers then he's still got a way to go. Saying that, the next decade of Miles will be worth watching.

5 hours ago, carter3175 said:

Personally, I think it's because of how Miles is being pushed by Marvel to be the new Spider-man and an A-list character (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Flash, Thor and Hulk are still the OG's in their universes. Apart from Wally West, who took the mantle in a Barry-less world for 23 years no one would rank the successors over their predecessors. That's part of Miles' problem, how does he become top tier in his own right when Parker is still running things?

The Green Lantern thing is interesting but even DC wouldn't claim that there's a standout among them. All these characters are loved in the GL world because they're all markedly different from Hal Jordan and they all have their place as part of the GL team. Jon Stewart became the head of the Green Lantern Corp. Guy became the wrecking ball of the corp, and Kyle became ION and the White Lantern. I like what they've done with Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz and even then these guy have gone up against Darksied and worked with Batman and the Justice League. It's all about the writing and the exposure they're given.

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Miles is just one of many derivative garbage characters from post-continuity Marvel.

Wolverine's 57th daughter? Pink Polka-Dot Hulk? Spider-Gwen? They're all :censored:.

There's also a bunch of junk at DC from the last decade.

It matters when the characters were created cloned, how they're handled, and how they're hyped.

You forgot to add "...and also, get off my lawn!"

:preach:

8 hours ago, kimik said:

Holy hell Marvel. The SW High Republic 1:25 image being circulated is fricking horrid. I can see why they are scared to post it in Previews until after FOC. 🤮

i guess they used up all the real talent on Eternals 1 variants to try and sell that 💩

Where are you seeing the image? I like the artists previous work.
https://www.instagram.com/sway_art/?hl=en

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Where are you seeing the image? I like the artists previous work.
https://www.instagram.com/sway_art/?hl=en

Here is what Comic Hub had up last night. A dealer friend that uses their POS system forwarded it to me after FOC. I guess it was posted there. 

7F18B3A8-3810-40A6-B46B-8FC6F707DEBD.thumb.jpeg.41320f0410eb8615fbfc570817363c1d.jpeg

If this is the real deal, then the 1:10 variant will be much more valuable. This one looks like something a Grade 2 or 3 student would draw. It is fricking horrible.

Edited by kimik

19 hours ago, cbmitch said:

Agreed on UF4.  But I believe the scarcity is driving this book.  2446 9.8's on the regular version of UF4.  Even the 1:25 has 157 9.8's.  MP#95 has 6.  I'm not arguing first appearance, what count's, whom is right or wrong, etc.  Just there is definitely a market for this book...

It was such a bust at one of my local shops they had tons of them in their 25 cent box. I actually did not know what it was, but I figured spideys for 25 cents, whatever, worse comes to worse I give them away on Halloween. I bought 4. I am pretty sure there were a ton more I did not buy, but this shop got pissy when you'd buy a bunch of multiples, so I'd take 4 and spread them around the pile of other stuff so they didn't realize I bought 4 of the same one. I blew those out the moment they were $10-$15 books! GENIUS!!!  Granted, in the polybag I don't know if they were 9.8s, could have been 9.2s, who knows. (The same shop had Saga 1 for cover price for months... and WDs in the 90s left over on the rack at cover when they were $10+ books... it was NOT a collectors shop, they had no bags and boards, no back issues (only 25 cent overstock) ...and while they were struggling they'd tell you not to buy multiple copies of books off the rack at cover (even when they had different variant covers)..even months after released .. i tried to buy the different #1 covers of Southern Bastards when it was already at issue #3 and they said I could only buy one. I was a semi-regular there buying a stack of books once a week. Shockingly, they closed.

11 minutes ago, kimik said:

Here is what Comic Hub had up last night. A dealer friend that uses their POS system forwarded it to me after FOC. I guess it was posted there. 

7F18B3A8-3810-40A6-B46B-8FC6F707DEBD.thumb.jpeg.41320f0410eb8615fbfc570817363c1d.jpeg

If this is the real deal, then the 1:10 variant will be much more valuable. This one looks like something a Grade 2 or 3 student would draw. It is fricking horrible.

What is wrong with that? It is better than half the comic art I see out there. It is a bit generic, sure. Once upon a time variant covers were special extra awesome covers, now some of the variants are crappier than the regular covers, just rarer.

29 minutes ago, the blob said:

What is wrong with that? It is better than half the comic art I see out there. It is a bit generic, sure. Once upon a time variant covers were special extra awesome covers, now some of the variants are crappier than the regular covers, just rarer.

That is the crappiest of all of the covers by far. It looks like a 7 or 8 year old drew it. The artist has much better work - this looks like a 5 minute mail in for a paycheck job. Look at it from a store owner's perspective - who is going to want to buy that steaming pile of a cover? So much for a retailer incentive.......

Edited by kimik

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

That is the crappiest of all of the covers by far. It looks like a 7 or 8 year old drew it. The artist has much better work - this looks like a 5 minute mail in for a paycheck job. Look at it from a store owner's perspective - who is going to want to buy that steaming pile of a cover? So much for a retailer incentive.......

I don't think it looks like a 7 or 8 year old drew it at all. It looks pretty professional. It is not something that would get me excited, true, but there's nothing especially crappy about it compared to the many, just as generic, covers out there.

These covers  are pretty mediocre too:s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, carter3175 said:

Looks like past sales are already at $100. I think I have one of those small little rectangle marvel promo poster cards for UF4.. wonder what a CSN preview would be worth 

There's nothing "rare" (from the auction) about the previews though, right? My comic shop got tons of them every week. They'd often give away their extras when they got too many. Folks with pull files who got them free either held on to them or they did not. Given that some of these have popped over the years it seems that folks who got them free would have held on to them, no?

Edited by the blob

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

There's nothing "rare" (from the auction) about the previews though, right? My comic shop got tons of them every week. They'd often give away their extras when they got too many. Folks with pull files who got them free either held on to them or they did not. Given that some of these have popped over the years it seems that folks who got them free would have held on to them, no?

Some people held them, I'm sure. But plenty of people would have also tossed them away. Or at the very least not cared for them the same way as a comic book.

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don't think it looks like a 7 or 8 year old drew it at all. It looks pretty professional. It is not something that would get me excited, true, but there's nothing especially crappy about it compared to the many, just as generic, covers out there.

These covers  are pretty mediocre too:

Those covers are still better than a crappily drawn Jedi hacking up giant abstract space-flies........

From what I have heard, store owners are letting Marvel know how they feel about it. That started last night when the first image of the cover came out and is likely continuing today. This sucks for them, as no one will pay a premium for it. I don't know how high the orders were to begin with, but if they had posted that cover before FOC a lot of the stores that topped up their orders to get an extra 1:25 would not have since the cover will not sell. Basically, this is a 1:25 that is dead stock for them.

Here is the 1:10 Design/Concept cover in comparison. That will be the money variant for stores.

STL174448_1024x1024.jpg?v=1603548629

Edited by kimik

8 minutes ago, kimik said:

Those covers are still better than a crappily drawn Jedi hacking up giant abstract space-flies........

From what I have heard, store owners are letting Marvel know how they feel about it. That started last night when the first image of the cover came out and is likely continuing today. This sucks for them, as no one will pay a premium for it. I don't know how high the orders were to begin with, but if they had posted that cover before FOC a lot of the stores that topped up their orders to get an extra 1:25 would not have since the cover will not sell. Basically, this is a 1:25 that is dead stock for them.

Here is the 1:10 Design/Concept cover in comparison. That will be the money variant for stores.

There are going to be tons of those 1:10's though. I would venture every store that has any pulse on the market would order at least 10.

38 minutes ago, kimik said:

STL174448_1024x1024.jpg?v=1603548629

I agree, a variant cover should be eye catching and special, not generic (although, seriously, shouldn't every cover get 150% effort? I can understand maybe the interior pages not getting them in every panel, but the cover ought to.) Give someone a reason to spend double digits beyond "it has a low print run."  I just don't think the cited image looks like a 7 year old did it unless the kid is a prodigy. It looks like something that would make more sense on an interior page.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

There are going to be tons of those 1:10's though. I would venture every store that has any pulse on the market would order at least 10.

Yes, but if the image I was sent is the 1:25, no one will buy it. 

It is interesting to see how under the radar Marvel/Disney has kept this book, despite the multi-media approach they are taking with the High Republic franchise. I would have expected more promotions around it.