• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

That Wolverine 88 is interesting. I’m I wondering what the non deluxe would get 

Ugh - the current prices on this one is depressing.  That book was all over the place in $5 bins a few years ago and I liked the cover so I bought a stack and flipped them for $15 - $20 when it started gaining steam.  $120 seems a bit much but it's just sour grapes at this point.  It's still a cool cover

Edited by 1Cool

22 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Ugh - the current prices on this one is depressing.  That book was all over the place in $5 bins a few years ago and I liked the cover so I bought a stack and flipped them for $15 - $20 when it started gaining steam.  $120 seems a bit much but it's just sour grapes at this point.  It's still a cool cover

Same. I pulled so many of these out of dollar bins that I eventually stopped buying them, because they just sorta sat there. Buy for $1, sell for $10, nicer ones maybe $15, but there were definitely plenty to go around. Of course, I'm all out of them now!

27 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

if you look at sales prices the $120 is an anomoly, if your copies had a couple of little dings they aren't actually selling for THAT much more than $15-20, indeed one of the most recent sales is $20 for a nice copy.

Just now, the blob said:

if you look at sales prices the $120 is an anomoly, if your copies had a couple of little dings they aren't actually selling for THAT much more than $15-20, indeed one of the most recent sales is $20 for a nice copy.

and $20 isn't irrational or anything. 

but  $1000 for  9.8?

hulk 340 was $800s in December in 9.8. Now it is 2X that. But if we're laying out that kind of money for a wolverine cover, seriously, I'd take the Hulk 340. As a Deadpool cover..meh... but seriously, deadpool books have cooled a lot outside of NM 98, which exploded, first meeting with wolverine? this doesn't seem worth the hype.

granted in this market $1000 gets you not so much as it used to, but really, there's a lot of good stuff you can get with that. frankly, with $1000 seed money you could probably start a decent comic side business if you played your cards right.

this 9.6 went for $800 yesterday. If I am shelling out $800 for a book, this one has a ton more upside: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantasy-Quarterly-1-CGC-9-6-SS-Wendy-Richard-Pini-1st-Appearance-of-ELFQUEST/124559539481?hash=item1d0053bd19:g:PcQAAOSwy2tgHCpJ

quite frankly, if i had seen it I might have bought it at that price.

of course, they've been talking about doing something with elfquest for years. with the failure of the dark crystal they might be re-thinking just how much this sort of 80s nostalgia play will work. but there was a niche group who were really into elfquest at the time. And they're pushing 45-50 now...

Wolverine 88 was undervalued and under appreciated for a while. The low print punisher/Deadpool/black panther issues are down now maybe $20-30 on a good day individually. I remember when they were $40-50 on a good day. 

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

What’s the ratio on deluxe vs non deluxe ?

on eBay
as we search the bins?

ive only ever found one 

@fastballspecial you keep a good memory on books like this 

I feel like Deluxe copies should sell for a premium with the glossy paper and better condition than the regular flat copies that are more prone to indentations from the subscription inserts 

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

What’s the ratio on deluxe vs non deluxe ?

on eBay
as we search the bins?

ive only ever found one 

@fastballspecial you keep a good memory on books like this 

is the price pop because it is deluxe? i wasn't keeping track. i just saw it was a deluxe

9 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Spider-Man Unlimited 1s selling including 100x that sold for $5,000 best offer. Since 130point site is down I have no way of knowing the price. But $50 each copy seems high. It’s usually a $10 book 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303932920807

Sold for 1,600.00.

Can't believe the price pop.

8 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I feel like Deluxe copies should sell for a premium with the glossy paper and better condition than the regular flat copies that are more prone to indentations from the subscription inserts 

why should deluxe be more in the same grade if the regular ones are more easily damaged?

19 minutes ago, the blob said:

and $20 isn't irrational or anything. 

but  $1000 for  9.8?

hulk 340 was $800s in December in 9.8. Now it is 2X that. But if we're laying out that kind of money for a wolverine cover, seriously, I'd take the Hulk 340. As a Deadpool cover..meh... but seriously, deadpool books have cooled a lot outside of NM 98, which exploded, first meeting with wolverine? this doesn't seem worth the hype.

granted in this market $1000 gets you not so much as it used to, but really, there's a lot of good stuff you can get with that. frankly, with $1000 seed money you could probably start a decent comic side business if you played your cards right.

this 9.6 went for $800 yesterday. If I am shelling out $800 for a book, this one has a ton more upside: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantasy-Quarterly-1-CGC-9-6-SS-Wendy-Richard-Pini-1st-Appearance-of-ELFQUEST/124559539481?hash=item1d0053bd19:g:PcQAAOSwy2tgHCpJ

quite frankly, if i had seen it I might have bought it at that price.

of course, they've been talking about doing something with elfquest for years. with the failure of the dark crystal they might be re-thinking just how much this sort of 80s nostalgia play will work. but there was a niche group who were really into elfquest at the time. And they're pushing 45-50 now...

There's no question FQ 1 is undervalued and that would have been a really smart move. 

Just wait and it will pop like the other hard to  find independents.. just Like Crow 1, Comico Primer, etc...  

14 minutes ago, littledoom said:

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

why should deluxe be more in the same grade if the regular ones are more easily damaged?

bingo and rarity

regular are the more desirable before why should that change now

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

bingo and rarity

regular are the more desirable before why should that change now

yeah, I really can't remember, but i feel like my LCS pushed the deluxe ones? maybe he had a higher profit margin? i feel like that is what i have from that era. need to check.

4 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

wow

many years i kept this in 50 cent bins as no one cared for it

8 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

There's no question FQ 1 is undervalued and that would have been a really smart move. 

Just wait and it will pop like the other hard to  find independents.. just Like Crow 1, Comico Primer, etc...  

thing is, it doesn't seem that hard to find, or maybe what is there is constantly for sale? any idea what the print run was? i think the problem with some of these 1980s indies vs. nowadays is that they might have printed extras to sell as back issues if the book took off. Not everyone was operating on a shoestring budget and could only print a few thousand like Cerebrus and TNMT

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

wow

many years i kept this in 50 cent bins as no one cared for it

seriously? I checked these like 5 or 6 weeks ago and didn't thin they were worth selling individually. wow. now i have to go back into the cap boxes. this cover is actually pretty interesting and sells for the least it seems:

Image 1 - Truth-Red-White-amp-Black-2003-5-NM-Isaiah-Bradley-Origin-Kyle-Baker

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

thing is, it doesn't seem that hard to find, or maybe what is there is constantly for sale? any idea what the print run was? i think the problem with some of these 1980s indies vs. nowadays is that they might have printed extras to sell as back issues if the book took off. Not everyone was operating on a shoestring budget and could only print a few thousand like Cerebrus and TNMT

That's a good question.   It's definitely not as rare as Cerebus 1 or TMNT 1 first print.  @valiantman may know.    I do know it's hard to  find in   NM though.

Btw,  Cerebus 1 has gotten so crazy that a counterfeit Cerebus 1 just sold for 900 dollars!  

Edited by Wolverinex