• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Idk. A raw high grade copy of Goon 1 sold for $500 recently. It’s probably worth every penny. Too many years looking and still no cigar. 

If it's Avatar and truly high grade, definitely worth it.  

The book is so hard to find. 

Patrick

4 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

If it's Avatar and truly high grade, definitely worth it.  

The book is so hard to find. 

Patrick

there are several up for sale right now. "truly hard grade" is awfully hard to tell from a scan, although i suppose some people are really good at it. I've seen enough CGC 8.5 and 9.0s that look just as good, it is hard to know if you have a nice 9.4+ or a nice 8.5-9.0. They're all nice looking books on a computer screen

Anyway, I'd like to own that book. How much I am willing to pay, I am not sure. With moderns and the 9.8 or bust mentality, if the book explodes due to a good movie, I wonder if a 9.4 will move as proportionally given there aren't that many of these? I have #2 in 9.8. funny cover. chainsaw with big bulging eyeballs. who thinks of this stuff?

Personally, I'd be happy with copies of 9.4 and 9.6.  For many of the early books, including Albatross.  

Census numbers are pretty low.  Honestly don't believe there are a ton more copies out either. 

This is for #1 Avatar: 

Mint   10.0 0 0 0 0   0
Mint   9.9 1 0 0 0   1
Near Mint/Mint   9.8 61 0 7 0   68
Near Mint +   9.6 59 1 8 0   68
Near Mint   9.4 50 0 3 0  

1 minute ago, followtheleader said:

Personally, I'd be happy with copies of 9.4 and 9.6.  For many of the early books, including Albatross.  

Census numbers are pretty low.  Honestly don't believe there are a ton more copies out either. 

This is for #1 Avatar: 

Mint   10.0 0 0 0 0   0
Mint   9.9 1 0 0 0   1
Near Mint/Mint   9.8 61 0 7 0   68
Near Mint +   9.6 59 1 8 0   68
Near Mint   9.4 50 0 3 0  

#2 has a lot of 9.8s.  That might be the exception. 

But #3 definitely dips down a lot.  This book would likely have more submissions (not as hot as a book like #1).

Mint   9.9 4 0 0 0   4
Near Mint/Mint   9.8 55 0 4 0   59
Near Mint +   9.6 29 1 4 0   34
Near Mint   9.4 11 0 2 0   13

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Anyway, I'd like to own that book. How much I am willing to pay, I am not sure. With moderns and the 9.8 or bust mentality, if the book explodes due to a good movie, I wonder if a 9.4 will move as proportionally given there aren't that many of these? I have #2 in 9.8. funny cover. chainsaw with big bulging eyeballs. who thinks of this stuff?

Eric Powell does, lol

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

A guy not getting hyped up in the current hysteria. Where were Goon 1s in late 2019?

Not sure why he isn't hyped his art/storytelling is amazing.  Still can't believe I found a #1 Avatar at a Coliseum of Comics location about 6 years back.  Was just sitting in the back-issue bin for like $4-no backing board just a bag.  Stuck it in the stack of books, went to counter and the employee paused for one nanosecond when she saw it and just rang it up.  Never have I gotten any stealth find like that in a COC shop before, or ever since.

Just now, gradejunky said:

Not sure why he isn't hyped his art/storytelling is amazing.  Still can't believe I found a #1 Avatar at a Coliseum of Comics location about 6 years back.  Was just sitting in the back-issue bin for like $4-no backing board just a bag.  Stuck it in the stack of books, went to counter and the employee paused for one nanosecond when she saw it and just rang it up.  Never have I gotten any stealth find like that in a COC shop before, or ever since.

I don't get it either. It is one of the few books I bought for a while, but when the schedule got all messed up I just stopped asking when the next issue was.

5 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

A dealer friend got one for $1 at a sidewalk sale I was at...I remember him holding the book up to show me. he sold it shortly after for $350.. it was around 8.5 raw.. still hurts lol.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Could be that. Also, there are some "speculation" article(s) out there that say she will be Wolverine when they bring the live action back.

yeah could be.. I had a couple X-23 #1 2010s sell after sitting for close to a year last week

8 minutes ago, littledoom said:

A dealer friend got one for $1 at a sidewalk sale I was at...I remember him holding the book up to show me. he sold it shortly after for $350.. it was around 8.5 raw.. still hurts lol.

Mine is at least a 9.0 maybe 9.2.  Even with some pressing love it will never be a 9.8, but I would be happy with a 9.4 slab.  Book has got to be pretty darn rare.

1 hour ago, gradejunky said:

That's pretty sweet.  Especially not so long ago.  

Many moons ago,  I bought anything I could find of Goon.  It's been super slim pickings for a long time now.

Patrick