• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

2. Considering demand. Walking dead is huge. However, PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience. If the show is quality, and the comic story can draw people in, things will explode. If not then, speculators will be looking to dump those stocks.

Not looking to argue, but want to discuss this point. You state "PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience." I assume you are talking about it being based on Peter Pan?

This isn't necessarily aimed only at Mike's Rack, so please anyone chime in: Is Peter Pan really a broader audience than the zombie genre?

its up there PP has huge international potential. if done right this will be huge !

No next question

PP has the potential to be even bigger than Walking Dead. What have you been smokin'? You can't possible think that a subject matter on WW2 & Nazi's is going to appeal to a larger audience.

Let`s take a look at them.

What`s the biggest audience for Walking Dead?

18 to 40 year old males who like Zombies.

Will this same crowd like a Peter Pan World War II based TV show?

It`s debatable.

hm

Si.

wonder if that Larry's shop variant is considered a phantom or different class of variant?

Seriously?

OK...

Day Men #1 is a regional shop variant.

A variant commissioned for sale at a single venue.

Phantom are group variants.

A variant commissioned for sale at multiple venues.

Get it?

Thanks Larry all I asked was the one question no need to show me up about it.

Just answered your smug question...

lol

Bad day?

:roflmao:

2. Considering demand. Walking dead is huge. However, PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience. If the show is quality, and the comic story can draw people in, things will explode. If not then, speculators will be looking to dump those stocks.

Not looking to argue, but want to discuss this point. You state "PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience." I assume you are talking about it being based on Peter Pan?

This isn't necessarily aimed only at Mike's Rack, so please anyone chime in: Is Peter Pan really a broader audience than the zombie genre?

its up there PP has huge international potential. if done right this will be huge !

No next question

PP has the potential to be even bigger than Walking Dead. What have you been smokin'? You can't possible think that a subject matter on WW2 & Nazi's is going to appeal to a larger audience.

Let`s take a look at them.

What`s the biggest audience for Walking Dead?

18 to 40 year old males who like Zombies.

Will this same crowd like a Peter Pan based TV show?

It`s debatable.

hm

Cartoons have a narrow appeal even though there are plenty of excellent ones. A BBC live action drama series could see more interest especially if all the period stuff is done well but again if something does get made then it's such a long shot of being universally good...

I'd peg it being something similar to say the BBC Merlin or Torchwood series if it happens. Only thing that would swing it straight into a top spot before having to prove itself would be a stellar cast. i.e. another perfect storm required... and again it won't be the same as TWD because I believe TWD would have still achieved great heights as a comic alone without a TV series.

2011 / 2012 was a real resurgence of the non-superhero themes (e.g. WWII) that has it's comic roots in the 50's and earlier. 2013 seems to be the era of the TV/Animated/Movie adaptation "apparent"... and it baffles me at times that so much confidence is voiced. I'm all for excitement about it though as there are titles I would love to see developed. Still, it's confusing because a lot of them are barely hitting double digits or a second arc. Everyone speculating wants a quick win and, who knows, may not even have read them. With most of the stuff optioned I could name 5 - 10 other books that I easily prefer reading month to month.

TWD however is an obvious exception. Ticks all the boxes.

Every time the "next TWD" is mentioned I cringe a little inside because there's usually something missing from the equation (if there is one). A TV series doesn't necessarily make a great comic and vice versa. Into the future it's not going to take many more options to never get developed or fall through to increase cynicism amongst most collectors taking a bath on title X, Y and Z. Personally out of all of them I'd love to see the Sixth Gun eventually make it because I love the book, but currently it might just be something that has started to rock the boat. It's been mentioned before but for whatever does make it then you only have to look at other massive franchises like The Crow or Predator or Terminator or etc etc and their comic counterparts to see there are two sides of the coin.

(shrug)

Just trying to think about it without too much reader bias.

1- If you have it similar to Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, etc. I mean, good acting/writing, period piece, then I guess they could have a hit.

2-I don't have enough appendages to count how many times I've read about a movie (and occasionally a TV show), and then said "Really, it's based on a comic?!?!?!?! I never knew.

There's so many of these little hidden stories (not for some, but I'm not always up on every comic).

But for me, I never knew Wanted, Red, 2 Guns, tons of others, etc etc etc. were comics first. And all of those have went nowhere in terms of prices. No clue how the stories are, if they're good or not.

Garf has good points here, regarding the fact that show/movie isn't the only aspect of a hit comic series/speculation pick.

Your great-Uncle, or grandpa, or even dad is likely to watch Peter Panzer.

Not as likely to watch Walking Dead.

Zombies and horror have ALWAYS been a smaller/niche/cult subject matter compared to most other genres.

To counter your point, I think Zombies have garnered a much, much broader appeal over the last few years. Would you have guessed 10 years ago that Brad Pitt would be staring in a zombie movie?

While the males of the previous two generations are the ones most likely to watch Peter Panzerfaust...

My mother, wife, coworkers, younger nieces/nephews/cousins, recent high school and college graduates will more likely watch a drama set in a zombie apocalypse.

in 5 years people won't care about 95% of the new stuff out there now....not sure Walking Dead will be as desirable in 5 years.

Save for the slow, slow, steady burn and build-up of Elephantmen.......

:devil::applause:

in 5 years people won't care about 95% of the new stuff out there now....not sure Walking Dead will be as desirable in 5 years.

This may be true, but if you look at the people picking it up in a LCS then I have seen plenty of youngsters snapping it up or even being turned away by the owner as they are barely taller than the counter. It will certainly have its moment of nostalgia further down the line where it will begin to shine again. I reckon more people will look at it as fondly as I do some 80's / 90's stuff that is frankly either now dead in the water or massively over printed by comparison to be considered scarce by any stretch of imagination.

Here's some 90's nostalgia for ya! If you are a Venom completest you can't forget this one.

1296882-kid__n_play_v1__9___page_1_zpsf6d0acf0.jpg

Love Strong Guy!!

wonder if that Larry's shop variant is considered a phantom or different class of variant?

Seriously?

OK...

Get it?

I wasn't being smug but you were Larry. And guess what I'll never buy any phantom variants again cause of your rude behavior.

GOT IT????

funny you should mention those two as they were box office bombs and led to "the western is dead again" talk on both occasions

except neither of those movies are true westerns in the traditional sense. Most westerns that actually get made these days are really really good.

Big announcement was the tv show

Which was the same announcement as last year.

Actually, the announcement last year was a potential tv show. The announcement at Image Expo was confirmation the TV show is officially happening.

Thankyou - been looking everywhere for that.

It's hard to discuss this book for some reason.

Is it that some are worried they have over bought, sold too early, have too few - but lets take the $ out of this.

TWD - is a world-wide hit. No doubt, and surely no argument from anyone here.

PP - I can only assume some haters haven't read it?

It's a story 'loosely' based on Peter Pan.

The Lost Boys are French resistance fighters - they kill, and get killed.

Peter isn't superhuman. He doesn't actually fly. He is just looking for a lost love.

The story is told through the eyes of the surviving Wolf Pack, many years later in post-war France.

It's a tribute if you will, to the French Resistance in some ways - and as such is a story worth telling.

It will appeal to all Europeans who's countries actually underwent that occupation only 70 odd years ago.

The WW2 defences still stand in France, England, Holland etc, memorials are everywhere - WW2 is ingrained in the psyche of the European Nations as this happened to them.

Of course it has interest. To suggest otherwise is disrespectful of the fallen of all nations.

Rememberance day in Europe is huge, just like Gallipoli is to Australia.

So, yes, it has relevance to a multitude of people - and the BBC, as said before, do the best period dramas in the world.

Peter Pan is still loved by kids all over the world. It still has queues at every Disneyland, the book is still read by millions and is a staple in schools around the world. So it should appeal to young and old

There will be a lot of people, who if it is marketed properly, will want to see this.

The writing is genius. I am tempted to swap 'boring' for 'not-understood' in a few posts on here. Stick with it. It draws you in very quickly.

Now add a comic with only 4814 copies printed (so knock off 1000 as gone forever), and add a thriving readership, add a motion comic starring Wood and Perlman - who have been in hit after hit.

The comic will attract publicity from that and a confirmed BBC television series, add the fact that PP will be ongoing further than 25 issues and you have a highly desirable product on your hands.

Hate if you want but to label WW2 as 'uninteresting' is quite frankly insulting.

I'm invested in this comic and want it to succeed.

I have explained why.

Perhaps haters could expand their argument for the 'nay' so I and others can understand and not think its just pissy sour grapes because you are not in possession of one.

I own 10 copies of #1 (6 of them slabbed), have been reading the series since day 1, and bought the first TPB for my daughter when it came out so she could enjoy it as well - but because I think it's insane to believe this series is going to be bigger than TWD, I'm a hater? :shrug:

The motion comic means nothing - I know you want it to be a huge deal, I believe you referred to it as a "volcano" earlier on, but the sad truth is that nobody cares about motion comics. It doesn't matter who directs them, it doesn't matter who voices them, it doesn't matter how "motion-y" they are - they don't pull in non-comic-book people, they don't generate excitement and they're ignored by anyone who isn't already a die-hard fan. The motion comic trailer that came out back in May was linked on a single national website in their Comics section - it didn't even register on the radar of any mainstream media outlet.

When Buffy - which is arguably one of the most popular teen TV shows of all time - can't generate any traction whatsoever for their motion comic, what makes you think that an unknown property like PP will succeed in that regard?

Si to the motion comics. I buy (and eventually read) like 50 different titles a month (or more), and I could care less about watching a motion comic.

They're neat, and that's about it.

But I think it has a shot, especially as 50% of them are owned by boardies here who will drip-feed their release.

See - I can do polite :foryou:

Doc, I need 9.8 CGC's of Panzerfaust, STAT!! !! !!

I've noticed nobody talks about RIPD anymore, a comic that got a big budget film treatment and big name actors attached to it. How're those books doing on the secondary market? Were they the pure gold many thought they'd be? Where is all the Cowboys and Aliens riches?

Type

RIPD Summer Biggest Bomb

into google. Apparently bombed so hard you didn't get to hear about it.

But... It had a movie made... It had big name stars attached... You mean this doesn't automatically mean that a book that crosses over into other media will make people instantly wealthy? :kidaround:

Is the comic even good?? popular??

Your great-Uncle, or grandpa, or even dad is likely to watch Peter Panzer.

Not as likely to watch Walking Dead.

Zombies and horror have ALWAYS been a smaller/niche/cult subject matter compared to most other genres.

To counter your point, I think Zombies have garnered a much, much broader appeal over the last few years. Would you have guessed 10 years ago that Brad Pitt would be staring in a zombie movie?

While the males of the previous two generations are the ones most likely to watch Peter Panzerfaust...

My mother, wife, coworkers, younger nieces/nephews/cousins, recent high school and college graduates will more likely watch a drama set in a zombie apocalypse.

Yes to the Brad Pitt thing, as, contrary to the "pretty boy" image, he's always done unconventional movies/roles.

Seriously?

OK...

Get it?

I wasn't being smug but you were Larry. And guess what I'll never buy any phantom variants again cause of your rude behavior.

GOT IT????

:banana: