• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spinner Rack Blues!!

18 posts in this topic

I did know if there were others in this forum that feels the same way I do -

But I sure miss Spinner Racks in Convenient Stores, Grocery Stores, Barber Shops etc etc .

I know the SR's actually damage the comic and have reduced the grades on many of

Silver/Bronze aged books with their spine curling powers -But Dang I just miss 'em.

Almost how kids see a steel soda bottle top/cap on a dirt road

and wonder where the heck this was used for - this to me was a sweet part of nostalgic pop culture that is now just a memory.

One of the dreams I've had is (once I have a big enough house) to get one of these SRs

and fix it up mint, then pick out a month in the 70's and buy 5-10 copies of each book of that month to fill it up (in about VF grade so I wouldn't lose my shirt doing this).

Man, wouldn't that be a sight...

to an oldschool comic fan that would be the equivalent of a kid on x-mas morning! cloud9.gif

I actually bought my very first comic off the rack in our neighborhood convenience store! It wasnt a spinner rack though...it was one of those wall racks and the book was standing with a few other comics and mags....seems like soooo long ago!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The old LCS had one until the day it closed. It had a sign on the top that said "Hey Kids, Comics!". They didn't put anything but kids comics on it though, it would tend to "bend" the comics.

CHEERS! thumbsup2.gif

And as I recall none of the books on those old wire things were in NM either. But what did I care, I just wanted to get the comics home to read 'em whilst eating snacks.

Occasionally I see those spinners in bookshops - you're right, it's a powerful memory trigger.

I did know if there were others in this forum that feels the same way I do -

But I sure miss Spinner Racks in Convenient Stores, Grocery Stores, Barber Shops etc etc .

I know the SR's actually damage the comic and have reduced the grades on many of

Silver/Bronze aged books with their spine curling powers -But Dang I just miss 'em.

Almost how kids see a steel soda bottle top/cap on a dirt road

and wonder where the heck this was used for - this to me was a sweet part of nostalgic pop culture that is now just a memory.

One of the dreams I've had is (once I have a big enough house) to get one of these SRs

and fix it up mint, then pick out a month in the 70's and buy 5-10 copies of each book of that month to fill it up (in about VF grade so I wouldn't lose my shirt doing this).

Man, wouldn't that be a sight...

to an oldschool comic fan that would be the equivalent of a kid on x-mas morning! cloud9.gif

i tried to win one on e-bay about a year ago. it was covered with painted renditions of most disney and WB cartoon characters. i was working on the tennis court fencing and lost track of time. missed it by about 3 minutes. and YES that would be very cool........... grin.gif

Stephen Barrington, one of the advisors in Overstreet, runs a little corner of a flea market. While he does not have spinner racks, he does have metal racks that has the blue sign "comics for sale". Each new comic is bagged and placed into a larger bag on the rack to protect the comics. If anybody visits Mobile on a weekend, I highly recommend stopping by the flea market. While he does not have a huge collection to sell, he usually has good quality with many SA/BA Marvels and DC's. He is a fan first and will usually work with you.

The WALGREENS and DOMINICS still use them here. I check um out every time I'm there. Hardly buy any books though. Mostly stuff I already have or books a couple months old. But it still brings back old memories. I too bought my first comic off one of those spinner racks.

I miss those spinner racks too! I remember my dad driving up to a 7-Eleven, and my eyeballs would scope the store searching for it. If I found it, I would run in the store to see if my dad could buy a book or two. If nothing else, an Icee! thumbsup2.gif BTW, they had all of those kick arse flavors, now only boring cherry and grape! Whuz up wid dat? confused-smiley-013.gif I need my sugar fix 893frustrated.gif

The sell Slurpees at 7/11 grin.gif

But man, like you I love 'em 893applaud-thumb.gif

The 7/11 in Savannah, Georgia (where I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago) still has a spinner rack full of comics. cloud9.gif Pure D.C. issues with not a Marvel in sight, and nothing above a VF from the spine nicks caused by the way the rack bends the books. 893frustrated.gif

BTW, I had a good laugh in the only LCS in Savannah. A wall display of incredibly rare and desirable books including a Spawn #2 in VF+ for $85 !!! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif893censored-thumb.gif

The sell Slurpees at 7/11 grin.gif

But man, like you I love 'em 893applaud-thumb.gif

Actually, in the 70's (at least in my hood) they sold both.I distinctly remember "Icee" because of the famous polar bear...

iceebear.jpg

I didn't care for those 'slush puppies'...

slush.jpg

Anyone know if a CGC holder would fit in a spin-rack? I havent seen one in a few years, but if they do fit that would be a pretty cool way to display your slabbed treasures. cool.gif

actually, I've been wondering how to showcase your CGC books as well. Kinda a waste just to have them all in a box....

Anyone know if a CGC holder would fit in a spin-rack? I havent seen one in a few years, but if they do fit that would be a pretty cool way to display your slabbed treasures. cool.gif

actually, I've been wondering how to showcase your CGC books as well. Kinda a waste just to have them all in a box....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif ...sterling, i think you and me may have just stumbled upon something monumental here that could very well alter the course of history as we know it....... thumbsup2.gif