• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are some good Comic Book documentaries?

30 posts in this topic

A couple I watched on Netflix were really good.

1. Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters & Marvels

Filmmaker Kevin Smith does a lengthy and fascinating interview with Stan Lee, who of course is very animated and charismatic.

2. Comic Book Confidential

A look at the history of comics on popular culture. The film itself is from 1988! so it's a really interesting look back. It talks quite a bit about the historic controversies and challenges comics have gone through over the decades, and it focuses mainly on indy and underground comics. But it also includes brief interviews with such people as Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and a very young (and long haired) Frank Miller.

I just recently picked up a copy this at the local BestBuy's.

618Of2GGusL._SX500_.jpg

It's OK, but I didn't think it was great though.

It might be available on Youtube, but Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of The Dark Knight is one of the best documentaries I've seen.

"In search of Steve Ditko"

"Secret Origin: The Story of D.C comics"

There also one on Jack Kirby: Story Teller

"Batman: Unmasked"

"Adventure into Digital Comics"

There lots of good ones. If they aren't on Youtube, they are somewhere on the net.

The Ditko movie is great.

I made a small edit for title on the Kirby film. Another great movie.

I think the interviews with artists and writers past and present make these movies special.

Need some help remembering but I recall having a documentary on EC Horror/SciFi comics. Does that ring a bell with anyone? Sometime in the 90's as I recall.

I remember being quite taken with it.

Edit - Thanks to Prodigy44 for posting this (I did a google search on EC Comics Documentaries and this came up).

Prodigy44's post here.

He also references this video which is what I may be thinking of - perhaps later than I thought (hey, when you hit the 60s your concept of time gets skewed)

http://www.cryptdvd.com/

What is "Crumb" about? I haven't heard of it before

Underground writer/artist Robert Crumb .

Iconic figure and as the documentary makes clear he's not the craziest member of the family.

Thanks buddy. I found it online and I'll check it out ASAP :)

"Crumb" seemed more a documentary about mental illness than the comic arts. Disturbing material, to say the least.

What is "Crumb" about? I haven't heard of it before

Underground writer/artist Robert Crumb .

Iconic figure and as the documentary makes clear he's not the craziest member of the family.

Thanks buddy. I found it online and I'll check it out ASAP :)

"Crumb" seemed more a documentary about mental illness than the comic arts. Disturbing material, to say the least.

I saw it as a documentary about small town America, and about Crumb's desire for escape and his accidental role as artistic observer of the '60s / '70s counterculture. His err, idiosyncrasies and brutal upbringing underpinned a great deal of his work but were not the focal point of the film.