• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay shipping disasters

21 posts in this topic

Just received my "mint condition" books from an eBay auction I had recently won. All three books were packed in a single manila envelope. None of the three had bags or boards. And the cherry on top was I found them sitting on my mat during one of the ten days of rain per year we get in southern cal. Isn't there a minimum amount of common sense that would not allow you to package so poorly? Not a lot of money invested, but still disappointing. Would be interested to hear about any other similar experiences....

Just received my "mint condition" books from an eBay auction I had recently won. All three books were packed in a single manila envelope. None of the three had bags or boards. And the cherry on top was I found them sitting on my mat during one of the ten days of rain per year we get in southern cal. Isn't there a minimum amount of common sense that would not allow you to package so poorly? Not a lot of money invested, but still disappointing. Would be interested to hear about any other similar experiences....

I have..quite literally...had thousands and thousands of books "destroyed" because of poor packing.

Roughly 50% of every single listing I've bought on eBay has been poorly packaged.

I just had a lovely one that had no protection, just old bags and boards, and the mailman folded it in half lengthwise and shoved it in my box.

I once lost a F/VF FF #21 to folding WIDTHwise. Was a G/VG after that.

I have thousands of these stores.

I don't buy from ebay because of this, unless the seller is willing to ship in a box.

Well the good thing about eBay and paying via PayPal is that when an insufficiently_thoughtful_person does this you are not out anything but the amount to ship it back. Sometimes you won't even be out that depending how lazy they were in shipping the item.

If people know there is a high probability that the books they purchase will be damaged, why do people continue to buy from EBay. (shrug)

I'm not making a joke. There are literally hundreds of sites online, why continue to do business with one, where you know with a flip of a coin, you could be ?

I have..quite literally...had thousands and thousands of books "destroyed" because of poor packing.

Roughly 50% of every single listing I've bought on eBay has been poorly packaged.

I just had a lovely one that had no protection, just old bags and boards, and the mailman folded it in half lengthwise and shoved it in my box.

I once lost a F/VF FF #21 to folding WIDTHwise. Was a G/VG after that.

I have thousands of these stories.

OMG that is a rare one there lol

So now is it acceptable to say ship a short box of comics to someone :whistle:

(((((HUGS))) you very very gently while covered in pillows and wrapped in two snuggies

If people know there is a high probability that the books they purchase will be damaged, why do people continue to buy from EBay. (shrug)

I'm not making a joke. There are literally hundreds of sites online, why continue to do business with one, where you know with a flip of a coin, you could be ?

I agree, and I've been buying books from ebay for over a decade. If anything grading and packing on ebay has gotten worse for me over the last year or two. There was a time where I'd be happy with about 75% of my raw purchases, and I'd end up sending back most of the books that were overgraded (i.e. the more ludicrously overgraded or misrepresented ones). Now the percentage is lower and there seem to be more sellers still happy to send books in a non-buffered envelope.

I buy a lot less from ebay than I used to, but still hang in there for the occasional score. But it's barely worth it now.

I have had good luck buying raw books from Goldust comics.

I have had good luck buying raw books from Goldust comics.
:foryou:

The last lot of 6 books I bought off eBay were shipped in an unpadded envelope. 3 of them were in bags without boards. The others were just naked and along for the ride.

eBay seller sent a 9.4 CGC slab with edges exposed in a plastic bag with minor amount of bubble wrap via media mail. The mail man tossed the package over our iron gate, even though I was at home. You can guess what happened to the slab. I got my money back, but had to pay for return postage. When I sent the slab back, I double boxed the slab and also used bubble wrap. The eBay seller said that he always sent package like that.

I don't know. I generally check the sellers feedback for how he ships, and maintain an excellent relationship with my delivery guys, so I'd say my damaged by shipping rate is around 1%, maybe double that, at most.. Why anyone would continue doing something where 50% of the buys are damaged is beyond me as well.

I don't buy from low feedback sellers and don't buy from people who have poor feedback on their shipping, therefore I'm rarely surprised. Of course, there was the well respected board member who sent me an Avengers 1 in an envelope with two comic backing boards as its sole support and said he'd sold me a $1,000 book for $600 so I shouldn't complain. Amazingly, some people here agreed with him.

I just had a lovely one that had no protection, just old bags and boards, and the mailman folded it in half lengthwise and shoved it in my box.I once lost a F/VF FF #21 to folding WIDTHwise. Was a G/VG after that.

I have thousands of these stores.

My story exactly, I reamed the seller and the postman, who has delivered hundreds of packages.

He chose to fold this one in half and put it in the mail box , instead of the locker. I spoke to him about it and recieved a heartfelt apology, but I ate the loss just the same. :pullhair:

Ive bought hundreds of comics on ebay and ive never had a problem with packaging..Ive actually had a problem a few times with over packaging where the comic was in about 6 different boxes that got smaller each time I opened a new one, it was like one of those Russian doll toys..This really wasnt a problem it just took me a while to get to the prize inside.