• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Garde this Pre-Code Horror

23 posts in this topic

Ditko cover. Scans front and back forthcoming. All of the corners are sharp 90 degree- my scanner - don;t know - makes them look slightly rounded but you could pick your teeth with them. ALso, the color loss, especialy at the top left, is printing defct.

Not trying to up my grade- just trying to be accurate.

sss22f.jpg

sss22b.jpg

I'd say it'd be anywhere from an 8.0 to an 8.5 seems like there might be a small amount of spine stress there. Plus on the front cover a little bit and on the back cover espechially there seems to be some color loss of some sort. Look at the ranger axe kit advertisement in the lower left hand corner and you'll see what i mean.

I'd say it'd be anywhere from an 8.0 to an 8.5 seems like there might be a small amount of spine stress there. Plus on the front cover a little bit and on the back cover espechially there seems to be some color loss of some sort. Look at the ranger axe kit advertisement in the lower left hand corner and you'll see what i mean.

Book in hand I count 3 color breaking spine lines. And yes, as I said, the color loss are printing defects - both f&b.

And thanks for actually responding. Which this was a Hulk 181 or ASM 129. Would have gotten a gajillion replies by now! blush.gifgrin.gif

Book in hand I count 3 color breaking spine lines. And yes, as I said, the color loss are printing defects - both f&b.

And thanks for actually responding. Which this was a Hulk 181 or ASM 129. Would have gotten a gajillion replies by now! blush.gifgrin.gif

lol I'm actually not sure how much printing defects wou'd hurt a books grade. You say there are only 3 color breaking spine lines? With this new info....I dunno.

I'll up the grade to anywhere between an 8.5 and a 9.0

but what do I know? smile.gif

lol I'm actually not sure how much printing defects wou'd hurt a books grade. You say there are only 3 color breaking spine lines? With this new info....I dunno.

I'll up the grade to anywhere between an 8.5 and a 9.0

but what do I know? smile.gif

Truth be told, not being overly experienced in CGC grading but knowing that CGC grades GA books a bit differently than others - I decided to check out the forums with a CGC slant. Really clueless with this type of grading. frown.gifsmile.gif

I'm thinking 8.5 not taking into account any of the color loss.

If CGC doesn't agree with you that it is a printing defect then mabye 7.0/7.5.

If the color loss is not a defect than I would say 8.5.

The reason I wouldn't go higher is that it seems that the spine stress lines, break some color BUT then go FARTHER into the book as Non-Color Breaking Stress lines. IF they just stopped where they broke color, it could grade a bit higher.

Super Nice Book!!! thumbsup2.gif

As is: 8.5

Clean and Press: 9.0+

"Garde" that book--it's very nice! thumbsup2.gif

::Ack:: I said "Garde" 893frustrated.gif

I agree with the press but it really don;t need a clean! Less is better! Now pardon me while I look for a cinder block! grin.gif

As is: 8.5

Clean and Press: 9.0+

"Garde" that book--it's very nice! thumbsup2.gif

::Ack:: I said "Garde" 893frustrated.gif

I agree with the press but it really don;t need a clean! Less is better! Now pardon me while I look for a cinder block! grin.gif

Is pressing really that simple? I guess I'm expecting it to be more involved than merely placing a piece of cardboard over a book and then putting something heavy on it for, what a few days? confused-smiley-013.gif

Is pressing really that simple? I guess I'm expecting it to be more involved than merely placing a piece of cardboard over a book and then putting something heavy on it for, what a few days?

Seriously, NO application of an external force or foreign substance to a comic book is simple. Even a "wonder breading" can be disastrous if rudimentary preliminaries are not followed: Use a soft wide brush to brush the surface of the book before Wonder Breading. Brush the surface of the table or whatever the book is going to lay on. Brush the interior pages that are adjacent to the covers. Be sure to include no piece of crust in the final Wonder Bread "eraser". Check often for too much presure resulting in too much ink pick-up. Why such precautions? because when you Wonder bread or use an eraser bag, you will be putting pressure on the comic. And foreign hard bits you may not be aware of just sitting on the interior page adjacent to the cover you are cleaning may actually cause a color breaking spot - not what was intended!

Pressing brings with it a different set of sensibilities. ( 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Pressings and Sensibilities - a new comic book movie on resto? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

If you haven;t done so check out the Grading and Restoration thread that is pinned near the top here. Also do a search on Pressing.

I DO reiterate because it is important - even the most seemingly benign process applied to a comic can go wrong. It really takes a lot of pre-prep and understanding. smile.gif