• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Newbie Playground

52 posts in this topic

Well, when I see your name, I want to sing:

"Where oh where oh where is Shadow?

Where oh where oh where is Shadow?

Where oh where oh where is Shadow?

Where can Shadow Be?"

The Shadow knows.

acclaim.gif I set that up nicely...

I had to go for it....cheers, Sterl!

Hi my name is cavecarson and I am a newbie

I have been lurking since Sept '03 and just recently started to post

I am not, nor have I ever been a shill....I may be a troll but I am not a shill.

I am a newbie and my turn ons include comics, comics and oh yeah comics.

Oh Newbolonius One.....you have gained entrance to, ....THE NEWBIE PLAYGROUND!

And yes, you may offer opinions........just nothing to do with CGC, CGG, Restoration, Pressing or the COMING CRASH. 27_laughing.gif

Seriously, welcome......kind of, since, like me, you've been around a while. And at least your avatar is cool. Cave Carson is cool too.

You may continue on to other threads and offer opinion.

So sez the GREAT POS! (Um, hmmmm,.....great pos........I'm going to have to rethink the nickname.)

Greetings Everyone,

This thread has turned a tad strange, but it seems like a good as place as any to introduce myself to everyone.

BIO:

My name is Bill, I'm 25, from Augusta, Georgia and I've been collecting comics for 8 years. I've been reading these boards for approximately a year, but I never really thought that I had much to contribute so I remained a lurker. A thread bashing the original batman movie forced me to come foward a few days ago and break my silence (I love that movie). Anyways I'm still in school here at the illustrious Augusta State University (1 more class to graduate, pray for me guys!) and I CO-OP at Savannah River Site doing programming. I dearly love my girlfriend of 2 years and I hope to buy her a ring after I graduate this December.

What I Collect:

I collect moderns and thats the reason I haven't felt like I have had a great deal to contribute to these boards. Most of you guys collect silver/bronze/golden age and (don't take me wrong on this) seem to scorn the modern collector just a tad.

I collect moderns because they are what I know and grew up with. I just dont have any interest in all the old comics (although I have a healthy respect for them).

Some of you may laugh at this because of the beautiful colections that you have, but my pride and joy is that I have a full run of X-men from 133 to the present. I'm slowly working backwards and hope to complete this run one day.

My first comic that I ever bought was Uncanny X-men 278 and ragged and well read as it is, 278 is the centerpiece of my collection. That book introduced me into the crazy world of comics and I will forever be greatful.

Thank you for your time, and I hope to converse with many of you on these boards,

Bill

flowerred.gif

Hi Bill!!!

Welcome to the Boards!!

If you're a comic collector then you have plenty enough reason to contribute to the conversation. Congrats on the engagement, also.

There is plenty of talk in the Modern forum about modern books. Your X-men set is a great start.

thumbsup2.gif

anyone else want to come forward and introduce themselves! Don't be shy!

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the boards.......don't mind Mr. Positive....I think he means well, even if he acts like the hall monitor back in junior high. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.......I think it's a lot nicer to know a little about the person behind the avatar. Have fun!

Brad

I thought I'd jump in. I found this board back in April and lurked for a short time.

About me, I'm 25 years old, I'm married, have one kid, and another on the way. I live in Canada and I'm currently going to university. I plan to be in school as long as I can.

I began collecting comics at the age of 8, and stopped around the age of 11 due to the early 90s crash. My allowance use to buy me a couple of comic books, but with surging prices I couldn't even buy one sometimes... or if I could afford one, it didn't seem like a good deal. Then I got into sports cards, then shortly after that, trading cards. But, now I find myself getting back into comics, lightly.

The past 7 years I have bought no more then 10 comics. In that 7 year span, I picked up a hulk 181, which some of you graded for me thanks!, and several Star Wars #1's. For some reason I keep buying Star Wars comics... even though they haven't gone up much in value. Just bought one a few days ago as a matter of fact.

Here's what my collection consists of (all from when I collected from the age of 8 to 11):

And pretty much all are mint as I didn't read them. The couple I tried reading seemed pretty simple and boring... maybe I picked the wrong comics to read... anyway here's what I have.

Transformers 1 - 43 ( 2 and 3 are missing as they were stolen)

Semper Fi 1 - 5 ( I'm sure your all drooling over these)

Amazing Spiderman (just some of the good issues from that time period)

Incredible Hulk 323, 330 - 359 ( 331 and 340 were stolen)

Hawkeye 1 - 10

Excalibur 1 - 3

Punisher 1 - 10

Detective Comics 480 - 610 ( a few missing here and there)

Doom Patrol 1 - 10

After that I have a couple here and there of some of the notable comic titles. I also have two comics signed by Todd McFarlane.

As you can see I pretty much collected what a young child might enjoy.

As for the comics stolen.. isn't that sad that someone would steal from a child? It's a long story... my dad and my brothers lost a lot more then I did.

So, for the past 2 months I've been trying to find some good silver age comics... fantastic four, silver surfer, avengers, iron man... detective comics... but I haven't bought any yet... although I have managed to get outbid with a few seconds to go. If you've sold any of these comics in the last 2 months... I probably bid on your auction and helped you make more money.

Anyways, I enjoy keeping tabs on the comic industry... although I do feel my collection is pretty sad compared to pretty much everyone elses... but that is ok.

So, for the past 2 months I've been trying to find some good silver age comics... fantastic four, silver surfer, avengers, iron man... detective comics... but I haven't bought any yet... although I have managed to get outbid with a few seconds to go. If you've sold any of these comics in the last 2 months... I probably bid on your auction and helped you make more money.

Anyways, I enjoy keeping tabs on the comic industry... although I do feel my collection is pretty sad compared to pretty much everyone elses... but that is ok.

Hi, Welcome to the boards.

I'd suggest you buy low grade SA readers for a dollar or two if you want to read them. (Or buy the trade paperbacks from Lighthouse in the Marketplace section.) That's a cheap way to read a lot of the great SA stories.

Reprints are also a good way to go.. (Marvel's Greatest for FF, Marvel Triple Action for Avengers, Marvel Spectacular for Thor, Marvel Tales for Spider-man, Fantasy Masterpieces for Silver Surfer, etc.)

Here's a link to what someone considers the 100 Greatest Comics of the Century. It's just his opinion (and I disagree with a bunch of the comics on his list), but it's a good starting point:

http://www.geocities.com/mbrown123/greatest_comics/

I'm more of a collector, then a comic reader. They have never seemed like a good read to me. I prefer to read novels. But, I really like collecting comics... so I have been chasing VF and NM copies.

Welcome to the boards!!

You should not worry about what everyone else collects or what is in there collection. Buy and read what you nejoy. You can learn a lot on these boards.

My suggestion would be to visit local comic conventions and search the boxes for lower priced books, from bronze age back to silver age. The reprints sound like a good idea, but be wary that they sometimes don't reprint the entire story.

thumbsup2.gif

Hi Eddly,

Welcome to the boards! And I'll simply chime in with what Deathlok said, don't worry about the size or quality of your collection. YOU ARE ONE OF US! insane.gif

Yeah, sorry to break the news to you! 27_laughing.gif

Keep posting, throw your opinion out there, and keep youre sense of humor! thumbsup2.gif

Best,

Brad

Never worry about what others think about your collection. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Welcome. From my short time here, I've enjoyed my continuing comic education (and I've collected since 1978 for the most part. ) and sharing stories about other topics that seem to have a broad interest here.

Never worry about what others think about your collection. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Welcome. From my short time here, I've enjoyed my continuing comic education (and I've collected since 1978 for the most part. ) and sharing stories about other topics that seem to have a broad interest here.

I think every comic collection stinks until it has a copy of Groo the Wanderer #1 in it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think every comic collection stinks until it has a copy of Groo the Wanderer #1 in it. confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gif

Which Groo #1? Pacific, Eclipse, Marvel, Image or Dark Horse? I got 'em all, anyway. And the Mighty Magnor.