• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Precode Horror

10 posts in this topic

First thanks for all the opinions on my Strange Susupense Stories Ditko! Really helped me get a handle on the GA CGC perspetive.

Here is another - if a larger scan is needed will oblige.

Thanks again!

voodoo8.jpg

That looks like a 9.0/9.2

Is that color touch by the 10cent price? shocked.gifconfused.gif

I know what you mean but no - no color touch there. Right top/bottom edges are quite square. I think I am gonna get a new new scanner. The HP is great for 3-d and CGC cases, but for both comic books and movie lobby cards it is not so good.

Another beauty, POV! 8.5, but I've been undergrading a bit lately compared to board consensus, so maybe it's a 9.0.

In general, how is the quality of the stories in these books? I'll have to pick up some EC reprints at my lcs.

Related to this, do you think that pre-code stories are significantly different in tone and content to post-SOTI comics? Obviously it killed EC and the horror genre, but I guess I'm curious about how much other genres were affected. Were pre-code books really that "bad"? Sorry for such an ignorant series of questions, but I've never read any comics from this time period/genre. I've read some early Wonder Woman stories with my wife, and those are pretty disturbing in their own right.

-Jim

Related to this, do you think that pre-code stories are significantly different in tone and content to post-SOTI comics? Obviously it killed EC and the horror genre, but I guess I'm curious about how much other genres were affected. Were pre-code books really that "bad"? Sorry for such an ignorant series of questions, but I've never read any comics from this time period/genre. I've read some early Wonder Woman stories with my wife, and those are pretty disturbing in their own right.

Yes, the pre-code vs the post-code covers AND stories are, from my experience, quite different. The genre basically shifted from "horror" to "fantasy" with light, airy tales. I used to specialize in Atlas and had a near complete run of all the pre and post codes. Even in Atlas, not known for really graphic stories, the shift was niticeable.

The REAL thing though? Many (or most) of the pre-code horror books did not survive very long into the post-code. So there is not a lot to compare, title for title. But even the ones that did - yeah. Seems the code officials, especially just after the code came out, were pretty harsh.