• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seduction of the Innocent, Love & Death, Parade of Pleasure and more!

133 posts in this topic

Hello. I'm Stephen O'Day.

I'm a relative newbie here (been around a while; haven't posted a lot; bought a few things and sold a few). If you have any concerns, check my perfect eBay feedback. My eBay userID and my website are both the same: MyComicArt.com. And feel free to e-mail me with any questions or concerns.

For my second sales thread I have stuff related to my collecting specialty: Seduction of the Innocent and the comic book censorship movement of the 1940's and 50's. I have SOTI, POP and L&D to sell, plus other related items (comics referenced in SOTI, Wertham magazine articles, etc.)

Money order or PayPal is fine. Probies and Hall of Shamers need not apply.

If you'd like to ship outside the US, let me know. Odds are we can work something out.

I charge exact shipping. Usually Priority Mail works out best, and shipping a book via Prioirty Mail is typically about $5 plus insurance. Unlike most comic books, books such as Seduction of the Innocent do qualify for USPS Media Mail shipping, but I would not recommend using it on expensive items such as these. Just to save a few bucks, the merchandise is put at great risk.

When I'm not on the boards, I'm typically working or taking care of my daughters. That means I can't get to the Post Office to ship daily. I typically ship once or twice a week. If you're in a particular rush to get something, just let me know and I'll tell you whether I can accommodate.

:takeit: in the thread trumps PM.

Any questions? Please don't hesitate to ask.

For those keeping score, and so I can keep score, here's a summary of what's been offered so far as of Saturday morning, Nov. 19, 9:26am EST. :

Page 1:

Seduction of the Innocent $165 SOLD Bladak

Page 2:

Love and Death $65 SOLD golddust40

Reader's Digest August, 1948 $15 SOLD golddust40

Page 3:

Reader's Digest May, 1954 $10 SOLD Darth Corgi

Reader's Digest June, 1954 $8 SOLD golddust40

Parade of Pleasure original UK print $450 SOLD Flying Donut

Page 5:

Ladies Home Journal, November, 1953 $20

Love and Death $65 SOLD EsquireComics

Parade of Pleasure reprint $15 SOLD The General

Photo Journal set $40 SOLD The General

Page 6:

Reader's Digest February, 1956 $5 SOLD EsquireComics

Saturday Review of Literature April 9, 1955 $25 SOLD EsquireComics

World of Fanzines $40 SOLD EsquireComics

Page 7

Blab #2 $30 SOLD Golddust40

Circle of Guilt $30

Compleat Neurotica $125

Page 8

Dark Legend $25

Scouting, November, 1954 $35

The Ten Cent Plague $8 SOLD 50shorrorbuff

The World Within $10

Comic Book Nation $6 SOLD 50shorrorbuff

SOTI first print $125 SOLD thermal

World's Finest 44 $165 SOLD offbeatarchives

First up, the granddaddy of all comics censorship items, Seduction of the Innocent.

This IS comic book history. Dr. Fredric Wertham attacked comic books from 1948 to 1954 and beyond. He had impeccable credentials, so when he said that comic books could destroy kids, parents listened. Dozens of cities banned some comics, the New York State Legislature tried to ban crime comics, and even the U.S. Senate held hearings into the dangers of comics. This book, publiished in 1954, did more damage to the comic book industry than any other, and nearly killed the entire US comic book indsutry. This can be yours for just $130. SOLD

Recently a copy sold for over $140 on eBay, link and that copy was completely re-bound and had no dust jacket. This copy is a first print with original binding and original dust jacket.

This book is solid and unmarked. Small stain on front endpaper (see photo #10). Some spotting on outer page edges (last photo). The dust jacket has been price-clipped and laminated, so its original white has faded to yellow. The bibliography is not present (as with most copies-- the publisher removed the bibliography prior to distribution of the book), but I will include a tipped-in photocopy of the original bibliography. There are lots of photos so you can assess the condition, but feel free to ask for clarification or more photos.

SOTI_Copy_04_01.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_02.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_03.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_04.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_05.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_06.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_07.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_08.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_09.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_10.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_11.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_12.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_13.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_14.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_15.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_16.jpg

Next up: Love and Death by Gershon Legman.

Legman participated in Wertham's 1948's symposium "The Psychopathology of Comics" with Wertham. In 1949, Legman came out with this book, a full five years before SOTI was published. The chapter "Not for Children" is devoted to how lurid the comic books of the day are. You've seen the comics listed in Overstreet as "Used in Love & Death". Now you can read what was said about these horrid comics.

This is a 1949 printing, not the later 1963 printing. You'll see that a recent copy of this printing sold on ebay for $78. This one can be yours for just $65. SOLD

You may also notice that there's an alleged first print on eBay offered by MyComicShop.com for $171. Be aware the item pictured is actually the 1963 reprint, not the 1949 printing. I have e-mailed the seller twice to inform them of the error, and both e-mails have been ignored.

Love_and_Death_01.jpg

Love_and_Death_02.jpg

Love_and_Death_03.jpg

Love_and_Death_04.jpg

Love_and_Death_05.jpg

And now some of the Reader's Digests at the time, which helped fuel the Anti-comics hysteria.

Reader's Digest November, 1948. This includes condensed version of Wertham's article "The Comics, Very Funny" that was published in the Saturday Review of Literature. $15 SOLD

Readers_Digest_August_1948_01.jpg

Readers_Digest_August_1948_02.jpg

Readers_Digest_August_1948_03.jpg