• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is Your Biggest Defect Pet Peeve?

46 posts in this topic

As we all know comics of the same grade can have completely different defects. So which defect or defects make you move on to the next?

For me it's tanning. I've seen comics that are structurally very nice for the grade but with prominent tanning, and for some reason it just really bugs me. Rusty staples are also a no-go. Chipping is another but at very low grades I can live with it, especially on comics where it's very common.

As we all know comics of the same grade can have completely different defects. So which defect or defects make you move on to the next?

For me it's tanning. I've seen comics that are structurally very nice for the grade but with prominent tanning, and for some reason it just really bugs me. Rusty staples are also a no-go. Chipping is another but at very low grades I can live with it, especially on comics where it's very common.

I'm really not a big fan of rat chew, so I'll go with rat chew &/or other rodent / insect chew. I'm also not a big fan of rusty staples where the rust has migrated into the pages.

I'm really not a big fan of rat chew, so I'll go with rat chew &/or other rodent .

+ a zillion...

My biggest pet peeve on defects is when she complains and complains but doesn't do anything to fix the problem...

Oh wait, we're talking about comics, not wives!

I'd go with rusty staples...but I would certainly avoid rat/insect chews...

Writing also bothers me a little but nothing I can't live with in lower grades...

Rusty staples and acidic or brittle paper were always show-stoppers for me due to their destructive potential. Aesthetic defects I would usually pass on were writing (unless there was something very special about it) and staining, unless the staining or wring were quite minor. (this was for precodes)

The only book I ever bought BECAUSE of the writing was a GA Captain Marvel (as I recall) that some kids had written on the cover "Hide the book! Ma's coming!" I couldn't pass it up.

corner creases for me. There are so many ways so many other flaws can be created but corner creases are the result mostly from human douchnozzle carelessness stupidity handling.

yes, I have created a few myself by when I slid a book into a bag without paying attention..nothing like Nm to VF in a nano second.

In order...my top 10

Water stains

Rusty staples

Popped staples

Creases

Missing Pieces

Tears

Foxing/Mold

Sticker/Tape

Writing on book (not names but when people doodle, or figure out simple math problems)

Cut out coupons