• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else here on the austerity budget?

27 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know. Plenty of folks here are likely feeling the current economic conditions to some extent or another, so, what I REALLY mean is, are there other broke-a** collectors here.

You know, those that have had to cut down their "pull lists" by a significant margin & still struggle to keep up with their new comics each week & are limited to just a couple/few modest back issue purchases a month?

Now, I certainly don't wish hardship on anyone, but... it would sure be nice to know that I'm not the only one struggling to keep my collection afloat. Know what I mean?

Not that I'm really complaining at all either. Honestly.

During times like this when SO many people have lost or are in the process of losing their homes & don't know how they're going to keep food on their tables, I'm not about to feel sorry for myself about having to put limitations on my hobby. Know what I mean?

Yeah, like many collectors, I'm a TOTAL OCD freak when it comes to my comics & other collectibles. And, it often feels to me as if my collection is more important than it actually is, but I DO "get it" ( more or less... lol ). Having to miss an issue or two of this & being unable to take advantage of a great deal on that, definitely ISN'T the end of the world. Though it may certainly feel like it at the time, it's far, FAR from it.

Though, DAMN, it still hurts. Right?

On the other hand however, it can be quite fun to go about "getting your collection on" in ways that you usually don't go about in order to save $$$.

You know, going to flea markets & sifting through didorder for particular issues rather than simply ordering them online. Stuff like that.

So, if some of you are like me, let me know & fill me in on how you cope with your "reduced circumstances". And please, share your wisdom, tips & hints on how you manage to keep up with your collecting during tough times.

Peace,

Jim

I have curtailed my spending recently due to a number of factors:

1. Although the economy hasn't hit me particularly hard yet, I have an uneasy feeling that things are going to get a lot worse before too long, and I am wary of not having a safety net, so am unwilling to spend on non vital items.

2. What money we are spending is going on our house which needs new bathrooms, kitchen, carpets etc, all of which adds up to a frightening amount of expenditure.

3. I am trying to save a war chest for the London Con in Feb. This is going to be the best opportunity to buy quality material in person that we Brits have possibly ever had and I intend to make the most of it.

The big problem is that nos. 1 & 2 above are severely impacting no.3 at the moment. :(

I've reduced my spending to only mid grade and higher Marvel and DC keys from 1956-1964,F the wife and bills.

I really haven't been impacted by the economy at all,thank God for for frightened house wives all around me.Pest control is always in demand. (thumbs u

I'm currently unemployed, and selling books to pay bills. My collection is in outflow mode for the foreseeable future. I'm not broke, but that's only because I I had my collection to fall back on... so, there's that :censored:

i was made unemployed a month ago that i put on here, since then i got another job in a very stable sector and doubled my wages, the gods were watching over me, but i have stopped my back issues and just spending on pull list which is normally 40-50 comics per month

My wife and her Credit Cards keep me BROKE

My wife and her home improvement plans keep me from buying comics. We've already had contractors come out for 2012 to tear down and remodel 2 bathrooms, a fireplace and a compete kitchen overhaul. When she started asking them if they could rip out 2 walls and open up the kitchen to the living room I went downstairs, poured myself a scotch and cried in it.

I feel your pain. I used to go to cons with no less than $300 to spend; last year I went to the local free-admittance show with a twenty. I was really feeling sorry for myself, too.

Then I found a copy of Rawhide Kid #17 for $20.

That's the beauty of being a Kirby collector-there's always something you don't have yet available to the low-grade lover on a budget. I'm picking up the odd western or pre-hero, even a smattering of Golden Age!

I've stopped buying silver age, but will ocassionally buy a higher grade Bronze comic.

I started buying new books about a year ago and buy about 9 new titles per month, my wife quit her job a year and a half ago because they wanted to

relocate her office about 70 miles away from where we live, and our savings are slowly dwindling, so yeah, I'm not sure how much longer I will be buying new books..

I never spent a whole lot on comics but I don't think I'll be buying back issues for about six months now. I'm building a car that I recently dumped several thousand into and feel like nothing got done. I also decided to switch over from long boxes to bookshelves and the funding will come from my back issue budget, which was maybe $60 a month. After I finally finish the bookshelf project I think I'll be able to focus on completing runs better.

My wife and her home improvement plans keep me from buying comics. We've already had contractors come out for 2012 to tear down and remodel 2 bathrooms, a fireplace and a compete kitchen overhaul. When she started asking them if they could rip out 2 walls and open up the kitchen to the living room I went downstairs, poured myself a scotch and cried in it.

I feel your pain ... completed replacing the front door and storm door and then the downstairs door with a set of french doors , just bought the new hardwood flooring and underpadding for downstairs too -- and -- My wife also wants to tear out the wall seperating our kitchen and living room -- I just pop a couple xanax and drink a beer whenever she brings it up to me ...... maybe we should start a club -- :tonofbricks::P

I feel your pain ... completed replacing the front door and storm door and then the downstairs door with a set of french doors , just bought the new hardwood flooring and underpadding for downstairs too -- and -- My wife also wants to tear out the wall seperating our kitchen and living room -- I just pop a couple xanax and drink a beer whenever she brings it up to me ...... maybe we should start a club -- :tonofbricks::P

Popping xanax and drinking beer is a lethal combination. I hate to be morose but if you keep that up...home remodeling will be the last thing your wife will be worrying about when you are gone.