• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else here on the austerity budget?

27 posts in this topic

I've let my new purchases erode not because of lack of funds (at least not yet) but because in my disinterest in most current stuff. Don't feel I get real value when one comic is $2.99 at a minimum and i polish it off in 5 minutes.

As far as back issues go, whatever i buy (which hasn't been much lately) gets funded by letting some of my collection go.

I've cut my pull list down to almost nothing over the past few years. for me it was more of a "I'm sick of bagging/boarding/reorganzing" stuff that isn't going to be read again or ever be worth anything. The extra money in my pocket is a "bonus".

From about 2003-2006, I probably had about 10-15 titles per month on my list. Kept trimming it back, and earlier this year I dropped my pulls to three items: The Goon, Walking Dead Trades, and anything related to Planetary (although there hasn't been anything in awhile, and there might not be anything more).

My back issue spending is way down as well. I've bought two back issues this year (FF#17 and ASM#46). Don't plan on buying anything else. The back issue cuts are strictly a financial thing.

My funds were dried up before I got here, thanks to some financial commitments I made. I do consider myself fortunate, though. I have two professional jobs, and the occasional freelance gig - so I've got a little bit of extra cash for comics.

I've been on an austerity budget or a few years now -my regular line of work has been iffy at best - fortunately the wife and I have been paying the bills flipping houses, but kids take a lot of money. Have been slowly selling off much of my GA/Atom Age - but I've had most of them for years and ownership doesn't give the thrill it used to. Though i still buy something new now and then - mostly Atlas war or Western which are pretty cheap.

Have also been periodically unloading much of the modern and copper books I've accumulated over the last 25 years - but more to do with space reasons than what pittance they bring - I realized as cool as many of the runs are - I'm not going to get around to reading them again.

I find myself buying fewer and fewer moderns - but that's because there's just not that much stuff that interests me. 10 years ago I probably spent close to $1000 a year on new stuff, including trades and hardbacks, nowadays it's probably closer to $300

Got laid off in August haven't bought anything major since then. Not even really been coming around the boards trying to avoid temptation

Haven't found a job yet, barely even seen anything in my field in the area. Luckily I have a large emergency fund so I haven't had to start selling any of the collection yet.