• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massive late 50s/early 60s DC collection unearthed!!

1,017 posts in this topic

The owner purchased most every title from '57 to '60.

Hopefully that included the Fox & the Crow (in which I'd be interested anyway) and the romance titles.

There are approx 2,000 books in the collection. We received approx 400 books today (the creme de la creme books). Others will be forthcoming.

When you get the rest of the titles you'll have to tell us whether there seems to be some inverse correlation between condition and a title's popularity, i.e. were certain popular titles such as Flash and Green Lantern more heavily read and thus worn than say House of Mystery and Tales of the Unexpected?

hm

Any of the sci-fi books?

Yes, MIS (53, 54, etc), TOTU (40, 43, etc), Altas (very early TTA, TOS, JIM, ST, etc).

Just keep glancing at the thread. (thumbs u

Wonderful collection. Lets see some of the pre-hero Atlas books!

Awaiting shipment of those.

Looks like a nice find. I couldn't help but notice the rust migration though. Hopefully that's all the books that got the water damage.

Correct. If there's H2O damage, then rust may be present. These books still have unreal gloss and color not seeing the light of day for 50 years.

Many of the titles avoided the H2O like the OAAWs, Cave Carsons (B&Bs). The luck of the draw, the good, bad, and the ugly, etc. lol

Any of the sci-fi books?

Yes, MIS (53, 54, etc), TOTU (40, 43, etc), Altas (very early TTA, TOS, JIM, ST, etc).

Waitng fo rthe rest of them to arrive, that must be excruciating. lol

Are you and your dad thinking of getting a comic vault? :grin:

Scrooge_coin.jpg

Any of the sci-fi books?

Waitng fo rthe rest of them to arrive, that must be excruciating. lol

Are you and your dad thinking of getting a comic vault? :grin:

Scrooge_coin.jpg

That's a great idea! Will you buy us one? My dad and I are comic poor at the moment. lol

To answer TTH2's question the pq on some of the books is white, including war 81

To clarify, many of the books PQ is typical DC creamish. For some reason the OAAWs were preserved much better. The 81 (see the earlier scan) PQ is astounding (and ya'll know how picky I am). White and fresh.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the 'typical' DC creamish.

Depending on the lighting and time of day the shade on these seem to change.

Natural sunlight seems to give them a White Page quality where regular indoor light will make them appear darker. My point here is the CGC perception of page quality may also vary. Not sure about their lighting when grading ?

Congrats on a great collection !

Many of the titles avoided the H2O like the ... Cave Carsons (B&Bs).

Cave Carsons! Now you're really talking my language!

(thumbs u

Hepcat, I looked at the 31 today and it's drop dead gorgeous...no staining whatsoever!! A scarce DC book. (thumbs u

Thanks for sharing your wonderful find guys and congrats! Those DC books are just jaw dropping regardless of the water stain! It's unfortunate that it happened, but hey a nice find!

I'm wth you DK. Too bad the earth has H2O or this would not have happened!! lol