• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Famous Monsters of Filmland
2 2

216 posts in this topic

Indeed.It was an off-day for Basil.

Maybe i have to start my collection with the ugliest cover and then it's nowhere but up. lol

I was looking at that FM 9 you're selling.

First Gogos cover.

mmmmmm.

Did you happen to catch i wasa the one who bought that Gathering horror book from mrwoogieman ?

I received it a few days ago.

Mindboggling.Copy 296 out of 300.

Can't believe my luck on that one.

The was a nice buy on the "Gathering Horror" catalogue. (worship) I saw that and was going to recommend to our forum members to go for it, but I was unable to post due to a 2 week suspension for arguing politics in the Water Cooler. :ohnoez: $110 was certainly more than a fair price.

The starting price that I have on the FM #9 is low given the condition. However, what I noticed about alot of eBay buyers is that they are penny wise and pound foolish. Some are just plain foolish - like the guy that bought this beat up copy of FM #5 for $225. ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAMOUS-MONSTERS-OF-FILMLAND-5-NOV-1959-Warren-look-/370751812598?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item565287b3f6&nma=true&si=pI6jb1LednoMIgj%252BT2Wj%252FREG5kY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

For $74 more he could have had the beautiful copy of FM #7 that I have up for auction but, instead, he buys this piece of s_hit! It not only baffles me, but really ticks me off. I put up some doubles for auction, but I'm not going to give them away. The copies that have a minor defect I put up for a $0.99 starting bid and let them go where fate takes them. I'm not going to take a chances with the likes of FM 7 and 9. I'm not greedy, but I'm also not charity central!!!

Right now on heritage auctions a CGC graded/slabbed 8.5 / VF+ copy of FM 7 ("Tomorrow's Monsters" variant cover) is up to $425 ($508 when you figure in their bullsh_it "buyer's premium"). And that auction doesn't end until Februar 23rd! My FM 7 is very reasonably priced, but the geniuses on eBay would rather buy expensive c_rap! :frustrated:

Sorry to go off on a rant. This is my first real experience selling on eBay and I find that my parrot is smarter than most of the eBay buyers out there!

Mike

Mike, it might be because some of the FM collectors aren't as grade conscious as comic collectors. They just want the earliest issue possible that they can afford. I admit that the early FM's I have are low grade(they have nice eye appeal, but suffer from the split covers that were so typical of the early issues).

But I just took a look at that FM 7 you have listed, and it's very tempting. Gorgeous colors, and you can't go wrong with the classic Zacherley cover.

Mike, it might be because some of the FM collectors aren't as grade conscious as comic collectors. They just want the earliest issue possible that they can afford. I admit that the early FM's I have are low grade(they have nice eye appeal, but suffer from the split covers that were so typical of the early issues).

I can understand not being as grade conscious if you have a limited pocket book. But, I look at some buyers spending hundreds of $$$ on obviously crummy conditioned mags and not bidding on something like my FM 7 doh!

Also, if you check out the mags that I started at $0.99 you will notice that they are all, in reality, high grade mags with minor defects. I know I'm nuts and the thought of a little defect works on my mind until it makes me crazy. :ohnoez: But, you would think any normal person/collector would jump on these. They are getting some interest, but I'd be all over these if I wasn't a hyper-condition freak. Check 'em out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAMOUS-MONSTERS-OF-FILMLAND-15-NICE-COPY-Warren-Publishing-Horror-Magazine-/130849444114?pt=Magazines&hash=item1e773c1112

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130849463198?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAMOUS-MONSTERS-OF-FILMLAND-21-MIDGRADE-COPY-Warren-Publishing-Horror-Magazine-/130849433885?pt=Magazines&hash=item1e773be91d

I'm not an experienced seller. Maybe, my descriptions and selling technique are poor. Who knows? It's easier to blame the buyers!!! lol

Edited by Batko

Trying to figure out eBay is like trying to reason with a meth addict. You'll go round and round but in the end you'll still be at same place. If I weren't building my war chest, I would take a shot at the #7. I do know that high opening bid, even when they are reasonable tend to turn buyers away. In the past I have had items with high openings not sell, then I changed them to $.99 and they sold for much more than the high opening bid. I think it's the appearence of a bargain and the ideas that someone else is also interested that whips up the buyers. But again, arguing with and addict.

Trying to figure out eBay is like trying to reason with a meth addict. You'll go round and round but in the end you'll still be at same place. If I weren't building my war chest, I would take a shot at the #7. I do know that high opening bid, even when they are reasonable tend to turn buyers away. In the past I have had items with high openings not sell, then I changed them to $.99 and they sold for much more than the high opening bid. I think it's the appearence of a bargain and the ideas that someone else is also interested that whips up the buyers. But again, arguing with and addict.

You're 100% correct! The psychology on eBay is incomprehensible and trying to reason it out logically is an exercise in futility. Also, trying to be honest and charging fair prices is irrelevant. Maybe, becoming a meth addict is the key to understanding eBay??? hm

Mike

Edited by Batko

A Famous Monsters of Filmland #1 cgc 9.0 went for $ 2,447 a few days ago on Ebay.

Does anybody know how many copies of #1 exist in any condition?

Here's another anomaly - FM #1 has the highest number printed of any of the classic FMs (##1 through 20 at least).

Originally, FM #1 was to be a "one-shot" deal (that's why there is no number on the cover just the 35 cent price or 2'6 for the British variant). It was so successful that they came out with a second printing. The total number of magazines for the two printings was about 260,000. While for most issues there are no exact figures, the FMs going from #2 up to #20 averaged about 100,000 to 150,000 copies printed for each issue.

By the way, there is no difference between the first and second printings of FM #1 even though they were printed by different printing companies. Jim Warren even stated in an interview that he could not tell the difference between the two printings of FM #1. Occasionally, you will see an auction come up with a description stating that they are selling the "first printing" of FM #1. You can be assured that this is bull_. If Jim Warren can't tell the difference between the printings you can be sure that some bozo peddling FM #1 on eBay is not going to be able to tell.

So, even though FM #1 had the highest number of magazines printed, it is one of the highest priced issues on the market. Another eBay anomaly that only a meth addict could understand!

- Mike

Wow, very good information there.

For anybody interested, here is the Famous #1 that sold . I was watching it and enjoying the auction fireworks. It sat around $1,000 for most of the week and then the snipers descended.

I watched it at the end, as well. I think there were 5 bids in the last 6 seconds and as you point out the price doubled in that short time.. I talked to Mike about why it went for so little cash and we agreed that the printing defects probably turned many folks off despite the 9.0 grade.

There's another 9.0 kicking around on ebay for quite some time with a fixed price of $6500. :eek:

Wow, very good information there.

For anybody interested, here is the Famous #1 that sold . I was watching it and enjoying the auction fireworks. It sat around $1,000 for most of the week and then the snipers descended.

I watched it at the end, as well. I think there were 5 bids in the last 6 seconds and as you point out the price doubled in that short time.. I talked to Mike about why it went for so little cash and we agreed that the printing defects probably turned many folks off despite the 9.0 grade.

There's another 9.0 kicking around on ebay for quite some time with a fixed price of $6500. :eek:

Harry, I check out the CGC 9.0 up for auction by "Frankenwick" periodically and, also, the CGC 7.0 being auctioned by "Bakery Dave." Based on the photos that they have up there, I like the 7.0 better. :headbang:

Perhaps, better and larger pics would make me change my mind. However, even though something is graded a certain grade by CGC you really have to examine it closely. The perfect example are the printing defects in that CGC 9.0 that Harry is talking about. I think that they are ugly, and next to spine roll, any defect to the front cover bugs the s-hit out of me the worst. :frustrated:

If there were no printer's lines on the front that mag should have gone for $3-$4,000, in my opinion.

The moral here is to be wary and do a good examination even if something is CGC graded. hm A CGC grader is only human and might have had a bad day prior to grading a particular mag! :sumo:

- Mike

Those are really lovely copies... :acclaim:

My small collection runs from #1 to #31. I stopped buying after # 30 (1964/1965ish) but always wanted to see the results of the Monster Model contest, so bought # 31 some years ago.

I've been upgrading some copies by buying Mike's undercopies... :blush

Harry

Indeed.It was an off-day for Basil.

Maybe i have to start my collection with the ugliest cover and then it's nowhere but up. lol

I was looking at that FM 9 you're selling.

First Gogos cover.

mmmmmm.

Did you happen to catch i wasa the one who bought that Gathering horror book from mrwoogieman ?

I received it a few days ago.

Mindboggling.Copy 296 out of 300.

Can't believe my luck on that one.

The was a nice buy on the "Gathering Horror" catalogue. (worship) I saw that and was going to recommend to our forum members to go for it, but I was unable to post due to a 2 week suspension for arguing politics in the Water Cooler. :ohnoez: $110 was certainly more than a fair price.

The starting price that I have on the FM #9 is low given the condition. However, what I noticed about alot of eBay buyers is that they are penny wise and pound foolish. Some are just plain foolish - like the guy that bought this beat up copy of FM #5 for $225. ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAMOUS-MONSTERS-OF-FILMLAND-5-NOV-1959-Warren-look-/370751812598?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item565287b3f6&nma=true&si=pI6jb1LednoMIgj%252BT2Wj%252FREG5kY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

For $74 more he could have had the beautiful copy of FM #7 that I have up for auction but, instead, he buys this piece of s_hit! It not only baffles me, but really ticks me off. I put up some doubles for auction, but I'm not going to give them away. The copies that have a minor defect I put up for a $0.99 starting bid and let them go where fate takes them. I'm not going to take a chances with the likes of FM 7 and 9. I'm not greedy, but I'm also not charity central!!!

Right now on heritage auctions a CGC graded/slabbed 8.5 / VF+ copy of FM 7 ("Tomorrow's Monsters" variant cover) is up to $425 ($508 when you figure in their bullsh_it "buyer's premium"). And that auction doesn't end until Februar 23rd! My FM 7 is very reasonably priced, but the geniuses on eBay would rather buy expensive c_rap! :frustrated:

Sorry to go off on a rant. This is my first real experience selling on eBay and I find that my parrot is smarter than most of the eBay buyers out there!

Mike

.......we have an African Gray and she is probably smarter than I am lol ..... they really are clever. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Great copies! Love the detail and colors on that #64! :cloud9:

That's the artwork of the incomparable Basil Gogos.

...do you have a nice copy of the Scream and Scream Again issue? Gawd, I love that issue.

No, I don't think I have a copy of the #90.

:(

Edited by Hepcat

Speaking of Mr Gogos, here's a copy of FM # 20 that Fed Ex just dropped off at my door.

To me for some unknown reason this is one of the very hardest issues to find a decent copy of, and when they pop up, they can be quite expensive.

I've been looking for a nice copy for years now and had a pretty decent one from Atlanta except that the cover was completely split and separated from the book.

Then Mike (Batko) snagged a nice one at a very attractive price a few months back after seeing a surprisingly lovely copy top $2K on ebay.

For some reason I didn't see this in my usual search but stumbled across it by accident. It far exceeds what I expected to be able to find and was amazingly cheap.

img055_zps3afe10fd.jpg

It looks like there could be some color touch below the letter S in the LLC although there is no bleedthrough on the inside of the FC.

Also the spine was split in spots and has been repaired in some fashion but given the overall attractiveness of this book, I don't care... :grin: