• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

Word is that John Byrne & George Perez are going to blog about OWS.

I'd like to hear from Dave Sim & Chris Claremont to fill out the retro '80's feel.

Joke?

I am. :(

:sorry:

The objective is to help as many people in life as possible. Where Miller & Moore disagree is how best to do that. I don't care that they can't agree or that I agree with one of them more than the other. I don't care because I love them both as artists & wish them the best as human beings. Never allow politics to screw with your faith in people.

Agreed. I don't let an artist or entertainer's view on politics cloud my opinion of their work. I love them for the service they provide me. I really don't care what they have to say about the world outside of their expertise. That's why they are artists instead of politicians. They bring butterflies, rainbows and illusions of grandeur. They are rarely grounded in reality enough to produce rational thought.

Why anyone puts stock in anything said by Demi Moore, Alan Moore, or Frank Miller is beyond me. They are about as far removed from reality and the average person as you can be. They should paint me a picture when they are finished bellyaching.

For me, there comes a point where an artist reaches a degree of repulsion that I can no longer separate the work from the artist. I usually think these folks consider their opinions to have more of a weight than my own or those of others. Sean Penn falls into this category for me. I was never that taken by Frank Miller and his verbal tirade fits well with what I see as his artistic talent: crude, crass and vulgar.

I love Frank Miller & Alan Moore.

I love Alan Moore's writing. Not all of it, but most. And yes, he's not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy. Diversity is everything.

Frank Miller - I see nothing 'special' in his work, either his art or his writing.

I would disagree with everything that Dale said about Mr Moore but that's one of the great things about comic book fandom, we all have our favourites and sometimes we can have sensible and reasoned discussions about those differences.

In hindsight, Miller's DKR's was a return to the 'might makes right' that is the core of much of what people like about superheroes. Obviously there's more to it than that, but after listening to Cyclops for years say stupid like "We can't kill the Brood! They may be an alien race that's going to completely eliminate the human life as we know it, but killing is just...WRONG!", DK seemed like a welcome return to throwing bad guys off a building.

When Miller channels his Eisner influence, he CAN create some really fantastic thought out masterpieces (Daredevil #191, Daredevil Born Again), but he certainly can't compare to the writing of Moore.

It's fun to talk about this stuff.

I'd take Miller over Moore every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

+1 (thumbs u

Don't get me wrong Dover. I am all in favor of helping people who can't work due to a real disability. I am 100% not in favor of helping people who won't work.

There used to be a guy who lived down the road from me who was on disability (as was his wife). He couldn't work, due to a "bad back". But he could mow his yard on a riding mower. He could ride his four wheeler, and he could manage somehow to fight through the pain and go deer hunting every fall.

My question is this, did his bad back keep him from working at a gas station, or a fast food joint, or even a desk job? For that matter, did it keep him from mowing yards for a living? No. His laziness and an enabling government system did this.

Somehow I knew that guy lived near you :hi:

I love Alan Moore's writing. Not all of it, but most. And yes, he's not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy. Diversity is everything.

Frank Miller - I see nothing 'special' in his work, either his art or his writing.

I would disagree with everything that Dale said about Mr Moore but that's one of the great things about comic book fandom, we all have our favourites and sometimes we can have sensible and reasoned discussions about those differences.

In hindsight, Miller's DKR's was a return to the 'might makes right' that is the core of much of what people like about superheroes. Obviously there's more to it than that, but after listening to Cyclops for years say stupid like "We can't kill the Brood! They may be an alien race that's going to completely eliminate the human life as we know it, but killing is just...WRONG!", DK seemed like a welcome return to throwing bad guys off a building.

When Miller channels his Eisner influence, he CAN create some really fantastic thought out masterpieces (Daredevil #191, Daredevil Born Again), but he certainly can't compare to the writing of Moore.

+1 (thumbs u

miller_lite-3130.jpg

I will take Ed Brubaker and Brian Bendis over both of them.In my opinion the Bendis DD run was better than the Miller Daredevil run,and Brubaker`s Captain America run was better than the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run. Yes Miller and Moore were great writers/artists,but let`s focus on the were,as both their masterpieces happened 25 years ago. It`s time to move on from Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns,and start promoting people who actually are still involved with comic books. Frank Miller and Alan Moore could care less about the comic book communities,and we should return the favor to them and now support comic book creators who actually care about the future of comic books. 2c

I bought, read, & still own all the Bendis DD books. It was a great run.

I reread the Miller DD run in the Omnibus format at roughly the same time. While it is a classic of my youth, that run comes down to one issue: 181.

I need to reread Born Again.

Brubaker`s Captain America run was better than the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run.
Odd choices for comparison. I could see the logic in the DD comparisons, but what's the link here?

Yes Miller and Moore were great writers/artists,but let`s focus on the were,as both their masterpieces happened 25 years ago.
Moore still produces great material. His League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen series is top notch. Although, I haven't yet picked up the most recent installment. Anyway, in the field of literature 25 years is not a long time. You may as well insist we get over Orwell because he wrote sixty years ago or HG Wells because he wrote a hundred years ago.

Everyone raves about Watchmen, and so do I, but Moore's greatest work is From Hell. It's one of the finest pieces of literature I have ever read, period.

I doubt whether Bendis, whose work I don't mind, will ever achieve the kind of reputation outside of comics fandom that Moore and Miller have. Both are cultural icons, and deservedly so. Even if Miller doesget up my nose.

You do, it's vastly superior to the Elektra run of DD.

Odd choices for comparison. I could see the logic in the DD comparisons, but what's the link here?

Yes Miller and Moore were great writers/artists,but let`s focus on the were,as both their masterpieces happened 25 years ago.
Moore still produces great material. His League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen series is top notch. Although, I haven't yet picked up the most recent installment. Anyway, in the field of literature 25 years is not a long time. You may as well insist we get over Orwell because he wrote sixty years ago or HG Wells because he wrote a hundred years ago.

Everyone raves about Watchmen, and so do I, but Moore's greatest work is From Hell. It's one of the finest pieces of literature I have ever read, period.

I doubt whether Bendis, whose work I don't mind, will ever achieve the kind of reputation outside of comics fandom that Moore and Miller have. Both are cultural icons, and deservedly so. Even if Miller doesget up my nose.

Well-thought out post. (thumbs u

Well-thought out post. (thumbs u

Agree with everything. And let's not forget Promethea. Brilliant stuff!

I more than insist we get over HG Wells. We should condemn HG Wells.

Yeah..who cares!! If he hadn't done it, someone, at some point and time, somewhere...would have invented the toaster...

geez...

I more than insist we get over HG Wells. We should condemn HG Wells.

Yeah..who cares!! If he hadn't done it, someone, at some point and time, somewhere...would have invented the toaster...

geez...

The world is a better place because of toast.