• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

I do not see how the lender is ever slave to the borrower

Seems to me that the time value of money escapes some people here.

If I borrow money from a lender when I can - at any time - pay it back without hurting me, and the lender isn't charging me any interest, I have the upper hand.

I do not see how the lender is ever slave to the borrower

Seems to me that the time value of money escapes some people here.

If I borrow money from a lender when I can - at any time - pay it back without hurting me, and the lender isn't charging me any interest, I have the upper hand.

only if you don't really need the product, or if the amount you have paid for the item is the value of what can't be paid for.

On a new car for example, you promise to pay 45K, but almost as soon as you drive it off the lot, it is worth 5K less. 2 years later, it is work 20 K less. So if you for whatever reason can't finish the payments, and have to turn the car back in, you will probably be upside down in it.

Because it is better to own, than to owe. The debtor is the slave to the lender.

Because in that 60 months lies risk. Risk to you, to your job, to your family, to your health. What happens when you wreck that car, can't work, can't pay for it.

Or what happens if you lose your job? Or your wife loses her job, or your kids get sick, or whatever.

Certainly owning is preferable to owing. And risk is inherent in everything. You risk your life just getting out of bed in the morning. That said, there are perfectly logical reasons for not buying stuff outright, especially if you can get low interest, essentially "free money" to do it. Why plunk down $45,000 now, on something that will only depreciate, when maybe you can invest that money somewhere, grow it, and use all or part of the proceeds to pay off the purchase down the road. I own about 67% of the value of my home outright. I still owe six figures. The wife and I have it squirreled away already. But why spend it all now? I can put that money to better use, growing it and get more value out of it than any increase in value to my home year to year. My interest rate is rock bottom after refinancing to take advantage of it. And now there's cash at the ready in case of something catastrophic or whatever. Sometimes it makes sense not to just buy.

Sad to say that Frank seems to be becoming a shadow of his former self very quickly. Alcohol is a powerful drug.

I think blaming his obvious issues on alcohol is ridiculous. He is a self absorbed, self gratifying, ignorant, attention whore who somehow has come to the opinion that since he used to be a good artist, and a decent writer, people should care what his opinion on various subjects might be.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

Well spoken. I agree 100%. :applause:

Next time you're in line at the grocery store, take a gander at the magazines displayed at the checkout. Time? National Geographic? Nope. Globe, Star, and any number of other rags are predominantly displayed. The unfortunate reality is that a large portion of the population in this country absorbs celebrity and is vicariously addicted to it.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it seems there was once a day when to get on the cover of these rags you had to actually be a celebrity on the level of say Michael Jackson or Liz Taylor, not just somebody from a reality show most people have never heard of.

Today at the line in the checkout:

photo.jpg

The answers to being a successful Ebayer are in those magazine ads and articles. What you do is go thru them,and find out what the hot items are this audience buys,and then you will be surprised that there is more money in selling to that audience then ours. ;)

Later on take the profits you made off them and then go buy yourself some comic book keys. :cloud9:

I haven't read this whole thread but I did read miller's rant

--------------------

Everybody’s been too damn polite about this nonsense:

The “Occupy” movement, whether displaying itself on Wall Street or in the streets of Oakland (which has, with unspeakable cowardice, embraced it) is anything but an exercise of our blessed First Amendment.

{TOTALLY AGREE}

“Occupy” is nothing but a pack of louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob, fed by Woodstock-era nostalgia and putrid false righteousness. These clowns can do nothing but harm America.

{LOUTS AND MOB I CAN AGREE WITH THE REST IS TOO STRONG}

“Occupy” is nothing short of a clumsy, poorly-expressed attempt at anarchy, to the extent that the “movement” – HAH! Some “movement”, except if the word “bowel” is attached - is anything more than an ugly fashion statement by a bunch of iPhone, iPad wielding spoiled brats who should stop getting in the way of working people and find jobs for themselves.

{AGREED EXCEPT FOR THE IPHONE PART WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING?}

This is no popular uprising. This is garbage. And goodness knows they’re spewing their garbage – both politically and physically – every which way they can find.

{YUP}

Wake up, pond scum. America is at war against a ruthless enemy.

{BIT DRAMATIC}

Maybe, between bouts of self-pity and all the other tasty tidbits of narcissism you’ve been served up in your sheltered, comfy little worlds, you’ve heard terms like al-Qaeda and Islamicism.

{OK WHY GO THERE FRANK?}

And this enemy of mine — not of yours, apparently - must be getting a dark chuckle, if not an outright horselaugh - out of your vain, childish, self-destructive spectacle.

{I'M SURE LOTS OF GROUPS FIND IT FUNNY/PATHETIC BUT AGAIN WHY GO THERE}

In the name of decency, go home to your parents, you losers. Go back to your mommas’ basements and play with your Lords Of Warcraft.

{YES. EXCEPT ITS WORLD OF WARCRAFT}

Or better yet, enlist for the real thing. Maybe our military could whip some of you into shape.

{DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE}

They might not let you babies keep your iPhones, though. Try to soldier on.

Schmucks.

FM

--------------------

The “Occupy” movement, whether displaying itself on Wall Street or in the streets of Oakland (which has, with unspeakable cowardice, embraced it) is anything but an exercise of our blessed First Amendment.

{TOTALLY AGREE}

“Occupy” is nothing but a pack of louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob, fed by Woodstock-era nostalgia and putrid false righteousness. These clowns can do nothing but harm America.

“Occupy” is nothing short of a clumsy, poorly-expressed attempt at anarchy, to the extent that the “movement” – HAH! Some “movement”, except if the word “bowel” is attached - is anything more than an ugly fashion statement by a bunch of iPhone, iPad wielding spoiled brats who should stop getting in the way of working people and find jobs for themselves.

This is no popular uprising. This is garbage. And goodness knows they’re spewing their garbage – both politically and physically – every which way they can find.

{YUP}

{BIT DRAMATIC}

Maybe, between bouts of self-pity and all the other tasty tidbits of narcissism you’ve been served up in your sheltered, comfy little worlds, you’ve heard terms like al-Qaeda and Islamicism.

{OK WHY GO THERE FRANK?}

And this enemy of mine — not of yours, apparently - must be getting a dark chuckle, if not an outright horselaugh - out of your vain, childish, self-destructive spectacle.

In the name of decency, go home to your parents, you losers. Go back to your mommas’ basements and play with your Lords Of Warcraft.

Or better yet, enlist for the real thing. Maybe our military could whip some of you into shape.

{DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE}

Schmucks.

FM

I like it!

--------------------

{TOTALLY AGREE}

Except for those bits about free speech, the right to assemble and the right to petition the government. Or is that only for those who can pay for it now? If one wants to complain about the manner and methods of OWS, feel free, but don't pretend it has nothing to do with the First Amendment .

I'm sure Miller would be comfortable making the same sort of vituperative blanket condemnation of the U.S. military based on the actions of a few at Abu Grahib, Haditha, Mahmudiya and Hamdania, right? Even the Occupy crowd itself would be foolish to think that a sustained encampment in an urban environment wouldn't attract a less than desirable element over time.

Poorly-expressed anarchy? Not enough window smashing, looting and burning cop cars? That kind of clearly expressed anarchy? The "Get a job, Hippies" attitude makes Frank sound like a cranky old fart who is confused by the changes happening around him.

{YUP}

The problem with modern mass protests, is they attract a good number of fringe issue advocates, the conspiracy minded, the naive and marginally informed ( as true of OWS as it was of the Tea Party), but the overarching message of the Occupy crowd - that economic policy appears to reward those who fail as long as they are at the top, that money has corrupted the democratic process, and that there are widening gaps in income and wealth between those at the top and the rest of America, has resonated with Americans as they realize their economic future is endangered by more than just mounting federal debt. Specifically, a corporate mentality which increasingly sees Americans as merely consumers from whom every dime must be extracted, but wishes to be unburdened of the responsibility of providing the standard of living that makes such consumption possible. The tents may be gone by January, but the sentiment that spawned them will only grow.

{BIT DRAMATIC}

{OK WHY GO THERE FRANK?}

Because YOUR complaints are selfish and ill-timed as long as WE ARE AT WAR while mine are always relevant.

Don't let Frank know that Butterball surreptitiously forced halal turkeys on millions of Americans yesterday, sending sharia tryptophan to their brains. Dark chuckles indeed.

In the name of decency, go home to your parents, you losers. Go back to your mommas’ basements and play with your Lords Of Warcraft Sin City action figures .

{DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE}

Like Frank Miller would know anything about that. Seems to me there have been plenty of Vets supporting the Occupy movement.

Schmucks.

FM

I thought the posted takedown of OWS on the Daily Show was hilarious. I'm not surprised that the internal conflicts and difficulties of sustaining such a protest would risk overshadowing its message. I also found it naive to think that absent organized leadership and a clearly defined agenda, that the encampments wouldn't become less a symbol and increasingly a gathering place for the homeless and disenfranchised.

The crack down on the Occupy movement ( combined with the subsequent dose of martyrdom incurred) may ultimately benefit it politically, as the lack of end game combined with worsening weather, the negative press and the inevitable dwindling interest of both participants and observers would have lead to a demise of the encampments anyway.

The issues that spawned the movement aren't going away - An unemployment rate of 17% for those under 25, and the bleak prospects of those over 50 who find themselves jobless, falling wages, declining net worth, economic insecurity, the realization that concentrated capital is often the enemy of a free market, and that globalization means that not just manufacturing , but most white collar jobs can be done somewhere else for far less money, that democracy is increasingly only for those that can pay for it, and that government's role is primarily to serve those that do.

There are legitimate critiques of the Occupy movement from across the political spectrum, but Miller's level of over-the-top vitriol shows a fearful and bitter man.

Perhaps venting at the rabble outside is more satisfying than facing the decline of one's own creative abilities.

Oh well, I'm still a fan of his earlier work, current attitude of "putrid false righteousness" aside.

--------------------

{TOTALLY AGREE}

Except for those bits about free speech, the right to assemble and the right to petition the government. Or is that only for those who can pay for it now? If one wants to complain about the manner and methods of OWS, feel free, but don't pretend it has nothing to do with the First Amendment .

I'm sure Miller would be comfortable making the same sort of vituperative blanket condemnation of the U.S. military based on the actions of a few at Abu Grahib, Haditha, Mahmudiya and Hamdania, right? Even the Occupy crowd itself would be foolish to think that a sustained encampment in an urban environment wouldn't attract a less than desirable element over time.

Poorly-expressed anarchy? Not enough window smashing, looting and burning cop cars? That kind of clearly expressed anarchy? The "Get a job, Hippies" attitude makes Frank sound like a cranky old fart who is confused by the changes happening around him.

{YUP}

The problem with modern mass protests, is they attract a good number of fringe issue advocates, the conspiracy minded, the naive and marginally informed ( as true of OWS as it was of the Tea Party), but the overarching message of the Occupy crowd - that economic policy appears to reward those who fail as long as they are at the top, that money has corrupted the democratic process, and that there are widening gaps in income and wealth between those at the top and the rest of America, has resonated with Americans as they realize their economic future is endangered by more than just mounting federal debt. Specifically, a corporate mentality which increasingly sees Americans as merely consumers from whom every dime must be extracted, but wishes to be unburdened of the responsibility of providing the standard of living that makes such consumption possible. The tents may be gone by January, but the sentiment that spawned them will only grow.

{BIT DRAMATIC}

{OK WHY GO THERE FRANK?}

Because YOUR complaints are selfish and ill-timed as long as WE ARE AT WAR while mine are always relevant.

Don't let Frank know that Butterball surreptitiously forced halal turkeys on millions of Americans yesterday, sending sharia tryptophan to their brains. Dark chuckles indeed.

In the name of decency, go home to your parents, you losers. Go back to your mommas’ basements and play with your Lords Of Warcraft Sin City action figures .

{DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE}

Like Frank Miller would know anything about that. Seems to me there have been plenty of Vets supporting the Occupy movement.

Schmucks.

FM

I thought the posted takedown of OWS on the Daily Show was hilarious. I'm not surprised that the internal conflicts and difficulties of sustaining such a protest would risk overshadowing its message. I also found it naive to think that absent organized leadership and a clearly defined agenda, that the encampments wouldn't become less a symbol and increasingly a gathering place for the homeless and disenfranchised.

The crack down on the Occupy movement ( combined with the subsequent dose of martyrdom incurred) may ultimately benefit it politically, as the lack of end game combined with worsening weather, the negative press and the inevitable dwindling interest of both participants and observers would have lead to a demise of the encampments anyway.

The issues that spawned the movement aren't going away - An unemployment rate of 17% for those under 25, and the bleak prospects of those over 50 who find themselves jobless, falling wages, declining net worth, economic insecurity, the realization that concentrated capital is often the enemy of a free market, and that globalization means that not just manufacturing , but most white collar jobs can be done somewhere else for far less money, that democracy is increasingly only for those that can pay for it, and that government's role is primarily to serve those that do.

There are legitimate critiques of the Occupy movement from across the political spectrum, but Miller's level of over-the-top vitriol shows a fearful and bitter man.

Perhaps venting at the rabble outside is more satisfying than facing the decline of one's own creative abilities.

Oh well, I'm still a fan of his earlier work, current attitude of "putrid false righteousness" aside.

Which part of Miller's so-called rant do you consider over the top?

i just saw the comic page and the look left look right look back at me im batman im on a muslim and i thought that was what everyone was huffing and puffing about.

after reading more i feel fm's comment seems to reflect older set-in their-way men of those generations (especially un-hungry successful ones) i dont know surely it seems that way ???i can say this cause my dad and grandpa both swore/swear by fox news; rush's opinion, know matter how un-american & hypocritical; and gwb could have almost walked on water ~loved everything he did. not being political but it seems fm is very very much cut from the same cloth.

unapologetic to their demise, never backing down from their ideology taking selfish blind self preservation to a whole new level... which is all fine and dandy but you got to be blind or getting a million a book + not to notice the trouble in this country... the divide grows and its the million+aires that seem to defend everything that the last admin, and cronies did(...like a zealot for the pure correct bible) having said that

his poitics dont effect me one bit he and i are forever fused together at some early timeline in our lives that impacted me creatively that he could ALMOST pull off a hitler mustache minimum and maybe be the reincarnation of hitler himself and id say....whatever he did some great comics..... ALMOST

. fm was the most amazing thing i had ever scene as a child after each sundays paper route. a stupid eager eyed to be miller 10 year old all salary spending $$$$ child that began to idolize miller and his body of work. I would stop by the local liquor store sundays after my route and spend my paper route $$$ each week hoping the next daredevil would blow me away...

from daredevil 163 and on....i became convinced this was the industry i had to be in..

to make a long story short....

hs comments dont seem to be accurate. he sounds old, sad and uber and has started to sound like his ever changing for the worse illustration style. i have to say his dark knight simplistic or minimalist style peaked and the dark knight returns seemed/seems to be fantastic merge of timing talent and luck. he redefined the industry for a second time and single-handedly ressurected the industry period. his style continues to grow (for better or worse??) & has cocooned into films like robo2 300 sin city etc, and has changed his status from a comic book artist to a industry legend but his politics?? who gives a if hess a crotchidy old who like neal adams (his artistic mentor) will self destruct themselves sooner or later... into a shadows of their past

i could give two *&^$#R about their opinions, because unlike them i try not to pre-judge others, or make generalizations about certain parties people or rights until ive spent time with both sides... . idk wth fm, charlie sheen, tom cruise or mel gibson believe in or pay to subscribe to as long as they more often than not continue to surprise, impress and challenge my creative expectations ...

being open minded i can say for the most part, i have been disappointed each time fm's style morphs forever into a simpler and simpler style (equaling faster and faster paydays ).

newer stuff seems to be inked on the fly with a style that could be described as la L azy, & self absorbed. A forced contrast similar to m. mignolas style but on a smoking crack cocaine level... ..

ctrl-shift-key-lamp_1.jpg

i just saw the comic page and the look left look right look back at me im batman im on a muslim and i thought that was what everyone was huffing and puffing about.

after reading more i feel fm's comment seems to reflect older set-in their-way men of those generations (especially un-hungry successful ones) i dont know surely it seems that way ???i can say this cause my dad and grandpa both swore/swear by fox news; rush's opinion, know matter how un-american & hypocritical; and gwb could have almost walked on water ~loved everything he did. not being political but it seems fm is very very much cut from the same cloth.

unapologetic to their demise, never backing down from their ideology taking selfish blind self preservation to a whole new level... which is all fine and dandy but you got to be blind or getting a million a book + not to notice the trouble in this country... the divide grows and its the million+aires that seem to defend everything that the last admin, and cronies did(...like a zealot for the pure correct bible) having said that

his poitics dont effect me one bit he and i are forever fused together at some early timeline in our lives that impacted me creatively that he could ALMOST pull off a hitler mustache minimum and maybe be the reincarnation of hitler himself and id say....whatever he did some great comics..... ALMOST

. fm was the most amazing thing i had ever scene as a child after each sundays paper route. a stupid eager eyed to be miller 10 year old all salary spending $$$$ child that began to idolize miller and his body of work. I would stop by the local liquor store sundays after my route and spend my paper route $$$ each week hoping the next daredevil would blow me away...

from daredevil 163 and on....i became convinced this was the industry i had to be in..

to make a long story short....

hs comments dont seem to be accurate. he sounds old, sad and uber and has started to sound like his ever changing for the worse illustration style. i have to say his dark knight simplistic or minimalist style peaked and the dark knight returns seemed/seems to be fantastic merge of timing talent and luck. he redefined the industry for a second time and single-handedly ressurected the industry period. his style continues to grow (for better or worse??) & has cocooned into films like robo2 300 sin city etc, and has changed his status from a comic book artist to a industry legend but his politics?? who gives a if hess a crotchidy old who like neal adams (his artistic mentor) will self destruct themselves sooner or later... into a shadows of their past

i could give two *&^$#R about their opinions, because unlike them i try not to pre-judge others, or make generalizations about certain parties people or rights until ive spent time with both sides... . idk wth fm, charlie sheen, tom cruise or mel gibson believe in or pay to subscribe to as long as they more often than not continue to surprise, impress and challenge my creative expectations ...

being open minded i can say for the most part, i have been disappointed each time fm's style morphs forever into a simpler and simpler style (equaling faster and faster paydays ).

newer stuff seems to be inked on the fly with a style that could be described as la L azy, & self absorbed. A forced contrast similar to m. mignolas style but on a smoking crack cocaine level... ..