• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

I more than insist we get over HG Wells. We should condemn HG Wells.

Yeah..who cares!! If he hadn't done it, someone, at some point and time, somewhere...would have invented the toaster...

geez...

The world is a better place because of toast.

Indeed, I agree, had it not been for toast the South would have won the Civil War and we would all we'd choose spritzers over lemon martinis...

I bought, read, & still own all the Bendis DD books. It was a great run.

I reread the Miller DD run in the Omnibus format at roughly the same time. While it is a classic of my youth, that run comes down to one issue: 181.

I need to reread Born Again.

What about 191?

And seriously. Born Again.

Best thing Frank has ever done.

Yeah..who cares!! If he hadn't done it, someone, at some point and time, somewhere...would have invented the toaster...

geez...

The world is a better place because of toast.

Indeed, I agree, had it not been for toast the South would have won the Civil War and we would all we'd choose spritzers over lemon martinis...

Toast. :cloud9:

Everyone raves about Watchmen, and so do I, but Moore's greatest work is From Hell. It's one of the finest pieces of literature I have ever read, period.

+1 Totally agree. Absolutely brilliant.

I've read a lot of Alan Moore's stuff and I'm of age to have appreciated the impact some of the stories had when they first appeared some 25 years ago. However, there has been a grand total of two pieces of work from Alan that I thought were above and beyond what was being published during the day:

1. The Killing Joke - best self contained single issue Batman (or should I say, Joker) story ever. How many printings did the comic go through? And the TPB also went through several printing, too.

2. From Hell. The art matched the dark, dreary, and suspenseful story perfectly.

Everything else by Mr. Moore, from Swamp Thing to Watchmen was/is meh.

Frank Miller, on the other hand, has offered much more.

Granted, neither have made major contributions in over a decade.

Everyone raves about Watchmen, and so do I, but Moore's greatest work is From Hell. It's one of the finest pieces of literature I have ever read, period.

+1 Totally agree. Absolutely brilliant.

I've read a lot of Alan Moore's stuff and I'm of age to have appreciated the impact some of the stories had when they first appeared some 25 years ago. However, there has been a grand total of two pieces of work from Alan that I thought were above and beyond what was being published during the day:

1. The Killing Joke - best self contained single issue Batman (or should I say, Joker) story ever. How many printings did the comic go through? And the TPB also went through several printing, too.

2. From Hell. The art matched the dark, dreary, and suspenseful story perfectly.

Everything else by Mr. Moore, from Swamp Thing to Watchmen was/is meh.

Frank Miller, on the other hand, has offered much more.

Granted, neither have made major contributions in over a decade.

:insane:

The thing with Alan Moore`s and Frank Miller`s stuff is most of their popular work was read by us when we were either teens or in our early twentys. If you went back and read their stuff now you will find it was aimed at the male adolescent reader.

If you go and read HG Well`s stuff right now you will find an adult can enjoy and appreciate what a brillant mind Wells had. It`s a shame most comic book readers think Todd McFarlane is a superior writer than Mark Twain.One of the main reasons why the mainstream comic books haven`t shown no growth in sales is because the comic book publishers keep giving their niche audience what they want in rehashes of Frank Miller`s dark n gritty stuff and rehashes of Alan Moore`s version of superheroes,as soon as that niche audience gets over Frank Miller and Alan Moore`s style then maybe comics will have a chance to grow in a new direction instead of the waterdown versions of Frank Miller`s and Alan Moore`s stuff we had to put up with for the last 25 years. 2c

The thing with Alan Moore`s and Frank Miller`s stuff is most of their popular work was read by us when we were either teens or in our early twentys. If you went back and read their stuff now you will find it was aimed at the male adolescent reader.

If you go and read HG Well`s stuff right now you will find an adult can enjoy and appreciate what a brillant mind Wells had. It`s a shame most comic book readers think Todd McFarlane is a superior writer than Mark Twain.One of the main reasons why the mainstream comic books haven`t shown no growth in sales is because the comic book publishers keeping giving their niche audience what they want in rehashes of Frank Miller`s dark n gritty stuff and rehashes of Alan Moore`s version of superheroes,as soon as that niche audience gets over Frank Miller and Alan Moore`s style then maybe comics will have a chance to grow in a new direction instead of the waterdown versions of Frank Miller`s and Alan Moore`s stuff we had to put up with for the last 25 years. 2c

Who thinks THAT?

Frank Miller? Sure.

Alan Moore? Not hardly.

You're more of a Chesterton man, right?

I am!

:banana:

The mention of G. K. Chesterton allows us to bring Neil Gaiman into the conversation.

Chesterton.jpgfiddlersgreen.jpg

Chesterton? lol

Wait?...

Chesterton?... :roflmao:

This thread has been a big 'ol Petri dish for CGC! They actually let us have a political thread, just to see what would happen. Result?

We all reverted to type (nerds), and now it's a comic book thread again. Brilliant :screwy:

This thread has been a big 'ol Petri dish for CGC! They actually let us have a political thread, just to see what would happen. Result?

We all reverted to type (nerds), and now it's a comic book thread again. Brilliant :screwy:

Thank goodness! Ted Nugent and the gang were drooling all over my comics!

I bought, read, & still own all the Bendis DD books. It was a great run.

I reread the Miller DD run in the Omnibus format at roughly the same time. While it is a classic of my youth, that run comes down to one issue: 181.

I need to reread Born Again.

You have this incredible ability to take a body of work and diminish it with a few words. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I like Born Again, but I am probably in the minority in that I do not believe it's superior to his earlier work on the title. More adult themes? Certainly.

:foryou: