• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Search Function Help

13 posts in this topic

Roy should be here any minute.

(thumbs u

Not to rub it in anyone's nose but if you haven't seen this it's quite useful.

How to use the search function by Gemma

Why isn't there a Search Function Help sticky ?

I've been asking the same thing for years.

It's buried in the ask CGC forum.

This might help too.

:grin:

Why isn't there a Search Function Help sticky ?

I've been asking the same thing for years.

It's buried in the ask CGC forum.

This might help too.

:grin:

I think a Search Function Help sticky in Comics General is a great idea. It would have been my "contribution".

Noobtacular !

:acclaim:

Here's a tip that works for me. Don't use the built-in search function at all. Use a google site-specific search - it'll search the whole history, not just the two years the search engine lets you.

For example, if you are looking for the ''seattle superhero" thread, go to google and type in this:

seattle superhero site:boards.collectors-society.com

I do this for most sites these days.

HTH

Here's a tip that works for me. Don't use the built-in search function at all. Use a google site-specific search - it'll search the whole history, not just the two years the search engine lets you.

For example, if you are looking for the ''seattle superhero" thread, go to google and type in this:

HTH

I just tried it, great results. Thanks!

HTH

I just tried it, great results. Thanks.

Screw that, just start a thread in CG, much quicker :popcorn:

HTH

I just tried it, great results. Thanks.

Screw that, just start a thread in CG, much quicker :popcorn:

hm

Just using this quote as an example.

I wish I could find the thread where I, stupidly, sold all my pre-Robin Detectives. If for no other reason, to see the scans again

4u75g0.jpg

1) Narrow your search to the specific forum. Why expand your search to the Coinee and Water Closet forums when it is extra work on the search function?

2) This seems to be the trickiest part for most people. Use simple Boolean qualifiers.

Using +Pre-Robin +Detectives means that the search results must include the word Pre-Robin and must include the word Detectives.

If you didn't want your search results to include any PGX books, the search string would be +Pre-Robin +Detectives -PGX

3) Include a user name in this field if you want the search results to only include one user's posts. In this case, I only wanted to see ciorac's posts.

4) Search between four years ago and six years ago. The range was recently changed to only a two year span.

5) Self explanatory.

Just using this quote as an example.

I wish I could find the thread where I, stupidly, sold all my pre-Robin Detectives. If for no other reason, to see the scans again

4u75g0.jpg

1) Narrow your search to the specific forum. Why expand your search to the Coinee and Water Closet forums when it is extra work on the search function?

2) This seems to be the trickiest part for most people. Use simple Boolean qualifiers.

Using +Pre-Robin +Detectives means that the search results must include the word Pre-Robin and must include the word Detectives.

If you didn't want your search results to include any PGX books, the search string would be +Pre-Robin +Detectives -PGX

3) Include a user name in this field if you want the search results to only include one user's posts. In this case, I only wanted to see ciorac's posts.

4) Search between four years ago and six years ago. The range was recently changed to only a two year span.

5) Self explanatory.

awesomeness ! Thank you.