• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Best Sci Fi Movie

128 posts in this topic

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Clones over Jedi????893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif are you mad????893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

NOPE!!!! George Lucas shouldn't be directing his own films, but I still like the battle scenes in Clones a lot more than the ones in Jedi. Almost all of the following were better than the action sequences in Jedi:

• Yoda versus Dooku (second-best battle in the whole saga behind Darth Maul versus Qui-Gonn and Obi Wan)
  • Obi Wan versus the crab creature. That thing was the coolest looking alien ever shown in full view on the big screen!!! cloud9.gif
  • Obi Wan versus Jango Fett
  • Clones and Jedi versus droid army

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Clones over Jedi????893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif are you mad????893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

NOPE!!!! George Lucas shouldn't be directing his own films, but I still like the battle scenes in Clones a lot more than the ones in Jedi. Almost all of the following were better than the action sequences in Jedi:

• Yoda versus Dooku (second-best battle in the whole saga behind Darth Maul versus Qui-Gonn and Obi Wan)
  • Obi Wan versus the crab creature. That thing was the coolest looking alien ever shown in full view on the big screen!!! cloud9.gif
  • Obi Wan versus Jango Fett
  • Clones and Jedi versus droid army

Sorry, but none of those beat the epic ending battle between father and son... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Sorry, but none of those beat the epic ending battle between father and son... 893naughty-thumb.gif

I think the cutting back and forth to the Ewoks in that battle minimized it a bit for me. blush.gif Plus, the light sabre battles in the original saga weren't very dynamic...anybody here on the boards could have pulled them off with a few weeks of training. That's why Darth Maul is the best villain ever to play in the whole saga...Ray Park has martial arts talent that made him a great physical performer. Lucas should be flogged for having him die so early, and like a punk!!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifcool.gif

Even though I like Darth Vader as a character--and even Dooku--they just kinda stand there stiffly because the actors didn't have physical talent. Yoda, on the other hand...he kicks ARSE!!! cloud9.gif

I think he said MOVIE, not movies ! makepoint.gif same goes for you, FF

(in no particular order)

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back (less the ewoks)

Return of the Jedi

Logan's Run

Aliens

Predator

Alien Resurrection (only caused I worked on it)

Last Starfighter

Tron (who doesn't)

Black Hole

Mad Max (sci-fi?)

Clockwork Orange (sci-fi?)

Fifth Element

I think it's pretty obvious that "Alien" or any sequels are in the running for top sci-fi movie so what I would like to add is what I think were 2 of the most visually stunning sci-fi movies...

[*]Flash Gordon = awsesome scenery and backdrops along with Queen music throughout made this movie , for me, one of the most memorable sci-fi movies.

[*]Damnation Alley = see above description minus the Queen music.

That being said...I come back to "Alien"...which was one of the grittiest, horrific and realistic of any sci-fi to date...and therefore is my favorite... thumbsup2.gif

(in no particular order)

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

Logan's Run

Aliens

Predator

Last Starfighter

Tron (who doesn't)

Black Hole

Mad Max (sci-fi?)

Fifth Element

Empire less the Ewoks? What were they doing building snowmen?

Hint: they we in the jungle dude.

My faves

Sci Fi Movie: Empire Strikes Back

Sci Fi Scene: Jabba's Palace (Return of the Jedi)

Sci Fi Philosophy: Speach on the rooftop (Blade Runner)

Sci Fi Horror: Alien and Aliens (a tie - both are 5 stars)

Sci Fi Soundtrack: Matrix

1. Alien

2. Blade Runner

3. Star Wars 1977

4. Battle on the Planet of the Apes? the 1 with Roddy McDowell choosing his name as Caesar.

5. Ghost in the Shell (Masamune Shirow's anime). This may belong in a subcategory.

6. Matrix 1 popcorn.gif

7. Terminator 2

sorry, I ROFL when I saw Yoda do his thing. Some things were better left to the imagination...which is why the man behind the mask (Vader) worked so well. Now that his life is becoming an open book, it takes away the mystique from the Star Wars universe. To be honest, Lucas is too tech happy to be concerned with something as unimportant as a -script. (Actually, the -script wasn't all that good in the original trilogy, but the characters worked well together)

Even John William's score in the prequels is void of any spark.

Empire wins hands down, and Lucas didn't direct. The only reason why I'm looking forward to the last film is because evil prevails... devil.gif

Here is my list-

Dark City-Matrix pre-cursor?

Cube-must see!

Pitch Black-I see this over and over

27th Day-old but great

Fifth Element-See Pitch Black

Colossus: The Forbin Project-thinking man's flick

20 Million Miles to Earth-see above

Enemy Mine-underated

Robinson Crusoe on Mars-classic

Aliens-Amazing

I think he said MOVIE, not movies ! makepoint.gif same goes for you, FF

(in no particular order)

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

Logan's Run

Aliens

Predator

Last Starfighter

Tron (who doesn't)

Black Hole

Mad Max (sci-fi?)

Fifth Element

who can narrow it to just one? not I sir! Besides what would these boards be if we actually followed the thread topic. Utter chaos I tell you. Remember the thread of 3 fav bands? How quickly that turned into how many of your favorite bands can you name.

(in no particular order)

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

Logan's Run

Aliens

Predator

Last Starfighter

Tron (who doesn't)

Black Hole

Mad Max (sci-fi?)

Fifth Element

Empire less the Ewoks? What were they doing building snowmen?

Hint: they we in the jungle dude.

less the Ewoks = take them out of the movie.

How Lucas ever thought cute Teddy Bears belonged in a science fiction movie is beyond me. Many other creatures could have been used in their place. Just my opinion but not needed.

There was an excellent movie I saw on Public Television Channel 13 years ago entitled "The Lathe of Heaven", anyone else see it? About a man, George Orr, who dreams become reality. thumbsup2.gif