• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Best Sci Fi Movie

128 posts in this topic

we have the same taste in movies, thumbsup2.gif but i'd pick empire over star wars. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yea, me too...I just sorta meant the whole series of films. Within the saga, it's 1) Empire 2) Star Wars 3) Clones 4) Jedi 5) Menace

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Clones over Jedi????893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif are you mad????893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Clones was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I would go:

Empire

Star Wars

Jedi

Menace

Clones

my list exactly! thumbsup2.gif

the lightsaber battle scene in jedi is better than any of the prequal scenes. 893naughty-thumb.gif

FF is right. Darth Maul's battle scenes are the best in all the five movies thus far, and I doubt there'll be anything in the sixth movie to top it.

Now if only they could get a green light on the Iron Fist movie, starring Ray Park!!!! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Star Wars isn't sci-fi.

I have to hear this! (and if you even THINK of bringing up FANTASY I will do unspeakable things!) 893naughty-thumb.gif

PS - it is Wednseday - have you watched any?

It's FANTASY. Anyone with half a brain knows that sci-fi is BASED in science. Star Wars is not.

The End.

PS- I just got home a few minutes ago... so tired... but I will watch the Invisible Man before the night is out! wink.gif

Technically, it is a Space Opera. But it contains BOTH Sci-Fi and Science Fantasy elements and can fit in both genres - so don't go telling people it is pure Science Fantasy - you got that?

Look, Buckaroo, any true Sci-Fi fan will tell you that Star Wars is nothing more than pure fantasy. In fact, it DEFIES so much science that it should be given a classification LOWER than Fantasy! It should be called Shmantasy and all subsequent sequels should be ignored forever!

sumo.gif <---now change my diaper!

Rock & Rule: Postapokalyptic earth tale with animals in human roles with a Super rockstar named MOK trying to take over the world. But the best part is the music: Debra Harry Iggy Pop, Lou Reed & more! thumbsup2.gif

One great Sci-Fi movie that I haven't seen mentioned is Star Trek: First Contact. That was the movie that turned me into a (mild) Star Trek fan.

In fact, it DEFIES so much science that it should be given a classification LOWER than Fantasy!

Jeeze Khaos if you are gonna dump ANY potential sci-fi film into FANTASY because it DEFIES so much science - hell you can dump almost ALL sci-fi movies into Fantasy.

I mean - off the top of my bald pate I can cite the fact that there were SOUNDS in outer space during the final battle scene in STAR WARS. And that the ships fell DOWN to the Battlestar - but being hollow I doubt it would have the gravity to couter the force of a blast and cause them to FALL DOWN.

And yes - the whole Jedi thing is Fantasy. But there is much based on scientifiic tenents - even if some are innacurate. And if you want to start judging all of the Sci-Fi films based on accuracy of our current knowledge of science, a very large percent of films just shifted from Sci-Fi to Fantasy.

But Sci-Fi does not have to be based on scientific fact. It is why THE WEREWOLF is considered Science Fiction over Horror. Or do you consider THE WEREWOLF Fantasy?

Now at least watch that Invisible Man short and please laugh at the "They laughed at me in community college" bit with the ironing board lab!

In fact, it DEFIES so much science that it should be given a classification LOWER than Fantasy!

Jeeze Khaos if you are gonna dump ANY potential sci-fi film into FANTASY because it DEFIES so much science - hell you can dump almost ALL sci-fi movies into Fantasy.

I mean - off the top of my bald pate I can cite the fact that there were SOUNDS in outer space during the final battle scene in STAR WARS. And that the ships fell DOWN to the Battlestar - but being hollow I doubt it would have the gravity to couter the force of a blast and cause them to FALL DOWN.

Exactly.

All I'm saying is that Sci-Fi people (and they're the ones who matter) say that Sci-Fi is bound by a grounding in science fact (sci-fa, if you will). Star Wars isn't even about the human race as we know it! There is no earth, hell, it even took place "LONG AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY..."

Right there it violates the most vital element of Sci-Fi-ness.

I win. I'm going to watch me some Invisible Man now! BBL!

All I'm saying is that Sci-Fi people (and they're the ones who matter) say that Sci-Fi is bound by a grounding in science fact (sci-fa, if you will).

Oh PUL-EASE! And now you adhere to the tenents of a group that actualy calles themselves "Sci-Fi people"???????

I bet at least half of them don't even know where the term "sci-fi" originated.

Now remember - watch all the way through the end credits on Invisible!

Hard Sci-Fi: 2001

Typical Sci-Fi: Tie - Day the Earth Stood Still and Alien

Camp Sci-Fi: Fifth Element

Guilty Pleasure: Escape from the Planet of the Apes and Buckaroo Banzai

Jim

Hard Sci-Fi: 2001

Typical Sci-Fi: Tie - Day the Earth Stood Still and Alien

Camp Sci-Fi: Fifth Element

Guilty Pleasure: Escape from the Planet of the Apes and Buckaroo Banzai

Jim

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "A Boy and His Dog"...

harharharharhahrhrharharharharharharharharharharhar

And Pov, that Invisible Man thing was HYSTERICAL!!! ROFL!!!! "I'm in the crosswalk!"

Anybody ever see "the abominal snowman?" (not in person, the movie) Peter Cushing (see how i'm working star wars into my post) and Forrest Tucker star in it where they're in search of the Yeti - Cushing is looking for "science" and Tucker for "profit." It's from 1957 so it's classic black and white. From the back of the dvd... "To his growing terror, [cushing's character] suspects that the race of giant "monsters" not only exists, but is capable of invading the thoughts of human beings." There's a freaky lama-type guy, too.

Too busy to go too far now, but let's start with...

Recent movies

Bladerunner

Strange Days

Fifth Element

Total Recall

But for me, the best SF was in the early 70's

Soylent Green

Omega Man

Ultimate Warrior

even Westworld

I've probably forgotten some really obvious ones though, so fill me in.

Having just caught up, ones I forgot that got mentioned were 12 Monkeys & Zardoz.

I'm surprised the Gilliam flick only got 1 mention, as it's a very good plot. It's also the last film I saw at the cinema where more than 1 person/couple walked out early.

I didn't think anyone else liked Zardoz, but it's definitely in my 70's list.

Some [!@#%^&^] got mentioned to, not least of which Silent Running & Dark Star. I defy anyone over the age of 19 who has seen either of these in the last 20 years to tell me they are good films.

You know? I lobbied a year or so ago to get Flash ::ahhhhAHHHHHH - he's a MIRACLE!:: put on a comic book movie poll.

Yes, and then when it happened you went and voted for Howard The Duck. foreheadslap.gif

One great Sci-Fi movie that I haven't seen mentioned is Star Trek: First Contact

Good movie, but my nod would have to go to Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Khan. Its one of the very few sci-fi movies that made the sci-fi element a backdrop to the human drama in the story.

Oh, and it has, hands down, the greatest musical score of any Sci-fi film, ever.

Good movie, but my nod would have to go to Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Khan. Its one of the very few sci-fi movies that made the sci-fi element a backdrop to the human drama in the story.

Yep, a bit like with Star Wars the sequel eclipsed the original.

Some [!@#%^&^] got mentioned to, not least of which Silent Running & Dark Star. I defy anyone over the age of 19 who has seen either of these in the last 20 years to tell me they are good films.

Balls!! sumo.gif

Balls!! sumo.gif

Have ya seen them in the last 20 years? Have ya? Have ya?