• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Best Sci Fi Movie

128 posts in this topic

Some [!@#%^&^] got mentioned to, not least of which Silent Running & Dark Star. I defy anyone over the age of 19 who has seen either of these in the last 20 years to tell me they are good films.

Balls!! sumo.gif

Have ya seen them in the last 20 years? Have ya? Have ya?

All right, I've not seen Dark Star in 15 years. I still enjoyed the bit with the computer wanting to blow up the ship (as far as I can recall). I first saw the film when I was 15, and of course, seeing it over a decade later (on VHS) made me realize that tastes do change and that I was remembering it with rose - tinted specs, but I'd still recommend it. Didn't realize until recently that Carpenter was (obviously!) a Deadhead.

You're right about Silent Running though. I did watch a portion of the film when they screened it on the Beeb about 5 years ago, but the last time I saw it from beginning to end, I would've been in my mid teens.

So you were close.

That BY FAR was the best post-Kirk movie (I still love Wrath of Kahn the best). Very good directing by Jonathan Frakes ("no.1"). Didn't the idea that behind the very efficient organization was a woman bother you? On second thought.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One great Sci-Fi movie that I haven't seen mentioned is Star Trek: First Contact. That was the movie that turned me into a (mild) Star Trek fan.

To hard to pick one: 20 Million miles to Earth!!

Alien!!!

The Thing!!! The original,& Carpenters

The Day the Earth Stood Still!!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers ,50's version,the concept still scares the hell out of me!!!!

War of the Worlds!!!

Incredible Shrinking Man!!!!-my personal fave!!!! cloud9.gif

There's so many more I could list such as the old AIP Films I used to watch on Chiller Theatre out of New York in the 60's !!!! Wonderful Memories!!!

cloud9.gifGreat Thread!!!! thumbsup2.gif

There's so many more I could list such as the old AIP Films I used to watch on Chiller Theatre out of New York in the 60's !!!! Wonderful Memories!!!

cloud9.gifGreat Thread!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Channel 13 out of Rockford, IL had a similar thing on weekends. I remember seeing all of the Creature from the Black Lagoon movies (why I really like this issue:

30929984076.97.GIF

) and a host of other grade B, C, D, Z movies.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

One great Sci-Fi movie that I haven't seen mentioned is Star Trek: First Contact

Good movie, but my nod would have to go to Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Khan. Its one of the very few sci-fi movies that made the sci-fi element a backdrop to the human drama in the story.

Oh, and it has, hands down, the greatest musical score of any Sci-fi film, ever.

And don't forget: *ahem* "KKKKKHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!"

Pre 1970:

Forbidden Planet

Day the Earth Stood Still

Invaders from Mars (original)

Thing from another Planet

Beast From 20,000 Fathoms

Post 1970:

Planet of the Apes

Alien

Pitch Black

Event Horizon

Split Second

King Kong (original) gets honorable mention. I wish they would get this out on dvd soon...my vhs is starting to wear thin...

Speaking of Pitch Black...how do you think the new Riddick movie will do? I'll definitely see it. That movies built a huge cult following. cool.gif

I saw previews of it last night... it looks ok confused-smiley-013.gif Judi Dench is in it and its about this cult that takes over worlds. I doubt its going to be better then the original.

Speaking of Pitch Black...how do you think the new Riddick movie will do? I'll definitely see it. That movies built a huge cult following. cool.gif

I saw previews of it last night... it looks ok confused-smiley-013.gif Judi Dench is in it and its about this cult that takes over worlds. I doubt its going to be better then the original.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Starship Troopers" or "Robocop" or "Total Recall" yet! Paul Verhoeven is a terrific Sci-Fi guy... minus "Hollow Man," of course. insane.gif

the thread asked for the "Best" Sci Fi Movie! 27_laughing.gif

actually, i really liked Robocop and Total Recall was decent! thumbsup2.gif

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Starship Troopers" or "Robocop" or "Total Recall" yet! Paul Verhoeven is a terrific Sci-Fi guy... minus "Hollow Man," of course. insane.gif

the thread asked for the "Best" Sci Fi Movie! 27_laughing.gif

actually, i really liked Robocop and Total Recall was decent! thumbsup2.gif

What was wrong with Starship Troopers?!?!?! Verhoeven makes quite a statement with that film, IMO... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Huh/ Khaos made SENSE???????????? I DID like TROOPERS. Didn't LOVE it but really liked it - especially liked the political implications in the film. TOTAL RECALL????????? Excellent film - especially if you have been able to figure out if Arnold's trip was a Recall Dream or the real thing (the film actually TELLS you this but took me 3 viewings over some time to realize it).

ROBOCOP? Yep! Really stuck to the premise, expanded it beautifully and is a fine modern (to my old body) film!

Huh/ Khaos made SENSE???????????? I DID like TROOPERS. Didn't LOVE it but really liked it - especially liked the political implications in the film. TOTAL RECALL????????? Excellent film - especially if you have been able to figure out if Arnold's trip was a Recall Dream or the real thing (the film actually TELLS you this but took me 3 viewings over some time to realize it).

ROBOCOP? Yep! Really stuck to the premise, expanded it beautifully and is a fine modern (to my old body) film!

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifthumbsup2.gif

Man who can forget the three boob girlie in Total Recall!!

Makes me wish I had three hands! grin.gif